Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

Also, entirely flat geometry - sooooooooooo much easier to make an alien run wihout hinderance from pipes, vents, all the lttle bumps that making a pretty game demads

"How come we did it 10 years ago and now it's a problem?" was the single most annoying thing to hear on that project.

Did any of the same people work on the two games, linkster?

Did any of the same people work on the two games, linkster?

Actually yeah, given the original was about 10 people. The lead engine programmer & the network coder, lead animator, also one of the artists who later became a kind of studio design guy, and one of the QA. And the Kingsleys obviously

(holly got a credit on the original as she was working there then :) )

Yeah, but I think it was only in the original release, AvP Gold didn't support it and I think you need to unlock bonus modes in AVP 2000 on Steam. I miss watching blast waves from grenades wrap around corners and stuff.

Ah, not so hard after all.

Actually it was easy enough to just let the first alien of 5 in that level get really close pop it in the head and then kill nothing else 100% headshots

4/5 from the Guardian

See those four stars above this review? I fully expect to receive a right royal kicking in the comment section below this article for that rating. The reason being is that, if one were so inclined, one could point to several imperfections in Sega's new shooter as evidence that it deserves a lower score – not the least of which is the legacy of the film this game purports to be a sequel to, and which is a millstone around its neck.

The fact is, Alien Colonial Marines doesn't stand a chance if you compare it to James Cameron's seminal 1986 flick. Aliens is filed and receipted as one of the greatest horror films ever made, one of the best sequels ever made and an iconic entry in the canon of science-fiction cinema. Aliens Colonial Marines is a patchy shooter standing on the shoulders of a giant.

But here's the thing; if we take it as read that this review is simply a lengthy opinion proffered by a thundering nerd, all the score rating rests on is whether or not the person writing consistently enjoyed the game they were covering – and on that scale, Aliens Colonial Marines is a success. It actually feels like a product out of time; one of those scrappy FPS games mid-tier publishers could boot out between Triple-A titles back in the day, when Metacritic didn't exist and a studio wasn't shut down if the game they made failed to sell a bajillion copies.

Same score they gave AvP

AvP is so, so much better than this tripe. It may not have been the best game ever, but i honestly remember when the i first saw a Xeno come out of the wall in the Hived Colony i practically exploded in nerd excitement it looked so much like the films. This game doesnt deserve to be mentione dint he same breath as AvP

5-8 hours seems to be the consensus.

Just wait until it's £2 in a steam sale :)

I think I will, by all accounts it sounds like a complete wreck from watching a few youtube videos. I can't believe this is the same Gearbox who gave us Blue Shift and Borderlands. Its amazing how you can create something so poor with a franchise like Aliens and inspired games that you come up with this in 2013. On one had I was hoping it be so bad its good but it clearly isn't. Crap I could come up with a million better ideas for the game already.

Both those are pretty good. AvP Classic is the best one, but if you want something a bit more contemporary then you can't really go wrong with the 2010 one. I quite liked it on Hard, even with its flaws and padding. It was quite satisfying.

Do yourself a favour and don't buy the new one, just watch some Let's Plays on YouTube.

Actually yeah, given the original was about 10 people. The lead engine programmer & the network coder, lead animator, also one of the artists who later became a kind of studio design guy, and one of the QA. And the Kingsleys obviously

(holly got a credit on the original as she was working there then :) )

Holly sat next to me on my first at Rebellion in 1999, trying not to laugh as I continually shat my pants playing the marine campaign :)

It's great to see you guys still liking AVP2010; even though it wasn't the best game ever I'm still proud of what we achieved. Very, very proud of our alien movement too, especially in light of the videos of A:CM on here.

Linkster - maybe we should all go back to Rebellion and make AVP4 :)