Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

I actually paid money for Duke 3d, knowing it would be rough but maybe fun. It was diabolical, total trash, one of the worst pieces of shit ive ever seen. Randy Pitchford is a total dick, he attacked reviewers, blamed the media for his companies shit cash grab of a game. 2 years on and he's pulling the same shit. I know its "only" videogames, but they are fucking lazy, disgusting developers that treat their customer like dirt. I hope they sell sub 1 million copies, and get a ton of shit on social media, then they might think about their approach.

Seriously, fuck those guys.

Well when you think about it, Gearbox seem to only really care about their own franchises. Both the Brothers In Arms series and the Borderlands games are a lot of fun IMO but anything outside of that seems to be to make money to pour money into those franchises. I do really quite like Opposing Forces as well though. I'm really really interested to see what they do with Duke on their own. Colonial Marines feels like it was something that they just needed to get done and out the door, by the looks of it anyway. Or maybe I'm just giving them too much credit and they did try their best and are just shit.

For example let's take a look at the list of games on their official site:

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/games

You've got in order of release of what they've worked on:

Half Life Oppposing Forces

Counterstrike

Half Life Blue Shift

Half Life PS2

Half Life Platinum Pack

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 PC

007 Nightfire PC

Counter Strike Condition Zero

Halo Combat Evolved PC

Brothers In Arms - Road To Hill 30

Brothers In Arms - Earned In Blood

Brothers In Arms - DDay - PSP

Brothers In Arms DS

Brothers In Arms Double Time Wii

Samba De Amigo Wii

Brothers In Arms Hells Highway

Borderlands 1

Duke Nukem Forever

Borderlands 2

Aliens Colonial Marines

They've done a lot of ports in their time and their only original series are Brothers In Arms and Borderlands. I like both those franchises quite a bit though I've admittedly never played the PSP, DS, WII Brothers In Arms games. But that to me doesn't exactly scream 'Brilliant developer!' You can bet your ass their heart and soul is going into Borderlands 3 and the next Brother In Arms game as well as the new Furious Four game (which has become a new IP now)

I actually paid money for Duke 3d, knowing it would be rough but maybe fun. It was diabolical, total trash, one of the worst pieces of shit ive ever seen. Randy Pitchford is a total dick, he attacked reviewers, blamed the media for his companies shit cash grab of a game. 2 years on and he's pulling the same shit. I know its "only" videogames, but they are fucking lazy, disgusting developers that treat their customer like dirt. I hope they sell sub 1 million copies, and get a ton of shit on social media, then they might think about their approach.

Seriously, fuck those guys.

Randys just a great businessman and sales rep for the company. The guy's good at what he does and even though I admire what seems to be genuine enthusiasm you take what he says with a huge fuckin pinch of salt. I mean, he's the founder of Gearbox of course he's not going to say 'Oh my games shite' and protect his own companys games. I'm not saying he should be attacking anyone but that it's hardly surprising that he does even if it makes him look like a right fuckin arsehole. I'll judge them on their games not the shite he spouts. Duke was always going to be a mess due to its history, from what I can gather Gearbox even had very little involvement in getting the final game out the door. They just wanted the IP essentially and Broussard would only give it to them since he knows Randy and they worked on Duke 3D all them years ago. I'm guessing getting DNF out the door was something that was part of the contract and basically getting rid of a big elephant in the room. Whether or not anyone wants to buy another Duke Nukem game after DNF is another thing. The biggest mistake they made was charging $60 for that game. People would have been more lenient on it as a $30 curiosity I think but actually releasing it alongside other well made modern games at the same price ? Oh dear.

Borderlands is starting to look like a fluke.

See, Borderlands 2 is probably one of the most refined games I've played in years. It's just so goddamn confident in what it does - the team behind it knew exactly what they were doing.

Aliens is such an odd franchise to develop alongside, man. How do you develop an Aliens game that's not a corridor based shooter? Feels like it needs a genre refresh. Isn't the Obsidian gig an RPG?

edit: Ha, Sega canned it in favor of Colonial. Planks.

Does it unlock tonight?? If so i might see you at 12 for a quickie ooh err :D

Aye I'll be on tonight for an hour or two, if it's going to be awful let's suffer in coop together :lol: Anyone else fancy suffering along for an hour or two on the PC version at midnight ? :D

As a massive Aliens nerd, I'm more interested in the plot so if anybody can spoil exactly why...

Ripley, Hicks and Bishop stalled the engine on the Sulaco over the planet, and how they ended up light years away for the start of Alien 3

That's be appreciated!

I might play it, just as a rental, to explore the Aliens sets but the dialogue seems so fucking awful from the trailers that I can't even watch all of them, and the fact that Michael Biehn and Lance Henryhousen are in this, no doubt saying shit dialogue, is a bit depressing.

I will give it to Randyfork, they can seemingly finish projects that no other developer can, even if the end result is apparently shit.

There will be a good Aliens game one day... Just like there will be another great Alien movie... one day.

Came across this thread on GAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512813

It's about how supposedly according to an ex Gearbox developer that Gearbox themselves only worked on the multiplayer portion of the game and other studios, primarily TimeGate, worked on the single player portion with a few other studios involved such as Demiurge and Nerve. I really don't know what to believe in terms of this. It absolutely reeks of damage control but again nothing would surprise me these days.

Over on gaf there's rumour that the bulk of this was done by a dev called Timegate Studios? And that Gearbox only did the multiplayer side of things. Interesting if true.

EDIT Heh beaten to it! ;)

:D

The funny thing is I'm surprised they didn't get Timegate to do the multiplayer part, Section 8 Prejudice was a fucking awesome multiplayer game and a solid overall package with a fun single player component too. To be honest I'd be more likely to give Timegate the benefit of the doubt over Gearbox, we have no idea the limitations or timeframe given to Timegate to get a campaign done , if true.

This was always a Gearbox project though wasn't it? It's not like Duke where they took on a troubled project late in the day, this was their thing from day one? So what happened? Was it a case they overextended themselves (Duke, Borderlands, that BiA game that is also in development hell) so outsourced the bulk of this game to their non-union Mexican equivalents.

This was always a Gearbox project though wasn't it? It's not like Duke where they took on a troubled project late in the day, this was their thing from day one? So what happened? Was it a case they overextended themselves (Duke, Borderlands, that BiA game that is also in development hell) so outsourced the bulk of this game to their non-union Mexican equivalents.

At this point I don't think anyone fucking knows. I mean you're right as in it's their name but we've no idea what happened during those six years. I get the feeling the game stalled, Gearbox worked on their own stuff instead and then Sega wanted an Aliens game out and basically behind the scenes talked to Gearbox about how it could be done, hence all the different studios working on it.

If it's true about Creative Assembly doing an Aliens game I hope Sega give them a much better budget and the necessary time to do it. It seems to be one of their big studios as well.

What is this like compared to the last AVP game that came out? I thought that was ok, nothing groundbreaking gameplay wise but still fun and used the setting and mix of species really well to make it worth playing.

Imagine the last AvP was a baked potato. Aliens: CM would be that potato, but raw and cold. If they'd baked it for a while longer it would've been bland but palatable.

I can't stop watching that gif of the alien walking like its shat its pants.

You've also got to love that of the key things that makes the alien design so good and scary was it's lack of apparent sensory organs, so Gearbox/Timegate/Zynga/Kw*lee or whoever else made this decided to make a level with blind aliens.