Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

Not good to hear that then... At least if the game had been pushed tween developers you could have argued it wasn't really Gearboxes fault.... But now it's all on them :(

I think prob the worrying thing is that if this fails we won't see a decent aliens game for ages as sega wont go for it

What a crying shame. I watched the gameplay video posted on the last page and got a thrill of excitement .... watching the menu.

That evocative music, the cold emptiness of space, the iconic space ship. Even the menu sfx are the computer noises from the film. Beautiful, memories of being totally absorbed in the film when i was a kid come rushing back...... Then the game starts :(

What a crock of shit.

Strategos I was the same when I started up the game menu came up with the music etc.. I was excited then the game started with a mix of cgi cut scene and in game engine cut scenes ( through out the game) which became a little dis jarring. The one thing they did get right with the game is the soundtrack. James horners original is played through out and it works the music does get you worked up almost enough in some instances to make you forget about the bugs like I said earlier when you first view the egg chamber in the derelict the music swells and you can't help up but get caught up in the moment. It's such a shame that they got one part perfect and the rest not

AVP 2011 seemed great, what I played of it.

But, see, I thought Gearbox could do even better because they would be able to dedicate ALL of their resources to just the marine angle, as opposed to AVPs three-way approach.

And they've been working on this for so long.

Initially this sounded really fantastic - a 100% Marine/Alien focused Aliens game with a central squad combat mechanic.

Like a lot of people I started worrying as soon as they quietly dropped the squad aspect. That promised to make it something different.

But even if they were just moving ahead with an FPS, I figured they could one which be superior to AVP2011 or indeed AVP1/2.

You'd think it would at least reach that level of quality, but it appears they couldn't even do that.

How can you work on something for 5 years, with a feverishly excited fanbase and then put out a ropey-looking game with terrible bugs and flakey AI?

The biggest issue we had on AvP2010 was working out how to get the Aliens to attack the player. As Retroguy said, having a AAA game with instant death just isn't the done thing these days, which makes the 'leap-slash-kill' from AvP'99 very difficult to replicate. A lot of early builds of AvP2010 had the player having to spin on the spot a lot, just to track the Aliens.

I liked it, because we could make a single Alien a good challenge and have it appear like it was toying with you. But as soon as you ramped it up and had 3 or 4 Aliens it became a disorientation nightmare. So you end up with Aliens in front of you and having to stand up to hit to you, because if they leap then they land behind you. Aliens on 2 legs just isn't as scary.

We spent a lot of time trying to make sure that they stuck to the shadows as much as possible, and jumped from surface to surface (the Jungle Aliens were weighted towards this behaviour, whereas the Warriors were biased towards floor based movement). So you got to see them jump a lot - throw a flare and they'll try to leap to a surface out of the way for instance.

In some places, it worked. In others, it didn't.

Interestingly, I think there's more room now for a AAA game to try something more akin to AvP'99 - especially after the proven success of very hard games on the indie scene.

The biggest issue we had on AvP2010 was working out how to get the Aliens to attack the player. As Retroguy said, having a AAA game with instant death just isn't the done thing these days, which makes the 'leap-slash-kill' from AvP'99 very difficult to replicate. A lot of early builds of AvP2010 had the player having to spin on the spot a lot, just to track the Aliens.

I liked it, because we could make a single Alien a good challenge and have it appear like it was toying with you. But as soon as you ramped it up and had 3 or 4 Aliens it became a disorientation nightmare. So you end up with Aliens in front of you and having to stand up to hit to you, because if they leap then they land behind you. Aliens on 2 legs just isn't as scary.

We spent a lot of time trying to make sure that they stuck to the shadows as much as possible, and jumped from surface to surface (the Jungle Aliens were weighted towards this behaviour, whereas the Warriors were biased towards floor based movement). So you got to see them jump a lot - throw a flare and they'll try to leap to a surface out of the way for instance.

In some places, it worked. In others, it didn't.

Interestingly, I think there's more room now for a AAA game to try something more akin to AvP'99 - especially after the proven success of very hard games on the indie scene.

Personally I actually disagree with this focus on the original AVP. It's a very old fashioned game. Your AVP marine stuff is very close to what i'd consider the perfect way of doing it, except that i'd really like the random spawning from the first AVP and I really didn't like the melee system.

It was a good game from what I played of it, so no worries there.

Picture this if you will:

The game starts out with you as a marine dropped onto the planet with your squad to investigate. So far, so generic; just another bug hunt. Then it very quickly all goes to hell, you lose your team and then it quickly descends into a hybrid of the first dead space (with the settings and shocks) and Amnesia Dark Descent (for the fear effects), where a single encounter with an alien can properly mess you up and leave you a wreck and you've got hardly any ammo. The only time you get attacked by more than one or two at a time are in some turret sections to give you a brief reprieve. Each encounter is deadly, each enemy a challenge. Essentially, make it a survival horror and not a goddamn shooter.

If you design/market it as a bastard hardcore insta death game, people would likely flock to it. Look at Dark Souls, everyone knows its selling point is that its one of the toughest games available, and its sold excellently and has a dedicated fanbase. DayZ too, its perma-death, hardcore mil sim roots couldnt stop it getting Arma 2 to the top on Steam.

If this was actually created as an insta death, tough as nails, hardcore Aliens shooter, people probably wouldve gone mental for it.

You know what may work as decent alien game would be something similar is principle to “the ship” 4-6 focused multiplayer game were one persons is selected at the start to be the alien (kinda like the mode in AVP 2011) but with perma death once dead there is no respawn. You wait it out to the end of the round With the peeps on the ship/complex having to band together starting with limited weapons , having to scavenge for parts to make weapons etc. (all randomly spawned each round so that peeps don’t simply run off straight away to get the best parts. give the ship plenty of crawl spaces etc.. so that the alien player also has a chance and you could have the founding for a very tense multiplayer survival game (you could use locations from the movie etc.. to extend the game play each having there own unique points or parts that could be salvaged to make stuff.) throw in a little bit of tower defence (being able to build barricades etc.. ) and you have a game that I would invest.

Alienz could be amazing alien home world large scale open world battles being able to fly drop ships with apcs into battle etc... Dam it some one make (mod) this now!!

Actually more akin to dayz could also work base it on the earth war idea. Earth has been over ran few survivors, scavenging to survive. With when it becomes dark the alien threat increase cause we Ll know they mostly come at night, mostly

It was pretty good and the marine campaign was far and away the best of the three.

All this Aliens talk has made me want to watch the film again. Is the bluray anthology any good? I have the films of DVD but wouldn't mind splurging on the bluray if they're a good upgrade a la back to the future, indiana jones etc

It was pretty good and the marine campaign was far and away the best of the three.

All this Aliens talk has made me want to watch the film again. Is the bluray anthology any good? I have the films of DVD but wouldn't mind splurging on the bluray if they're a good upgrade a la back to the future, indiana jones etc

It's an excellent set. You should get on it.

SEGA has finally announced the Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC and Season Pass Bundle which retail outlets couldn’t keep a lid on.

The first add-on, Bug Hunt, is all about cooperative multiplayer and tasks players with taking on increasingly difficult waves of enemies across three new maps. These maps are based on the Aliens films and Bug Hunt is slated for March.

The remaining three add-ons are scheduled to be available by the end of August.

Each game add-on can be bought separately or as part of the Season Pass Bundle for $29.99/2400 MS Points saving you 40%. You can now purchase the pass through Steam, and soon through PSN and XBL.

http://www.vg247.com...undle-detailed/

So basically a Horde mode. Could be awesome given the setting, even with crap AI - but sounds like it should have been part of the main game.

AVP as a game isn’t to bad – it’s a fun romp (though was never a fan of the predator campaign ) – the multiplayer game isn’t to bad either (would still play it on pc and still enjoyable)

As for the blu ray box set of aliens. Amazing transfers (esp. the first 2) aliens has never looked better!, and they include both the normal and theatrical cuts of all 4 movies (though 4 only really has an extended start rather than new cut. You can pick it up for around £15 - £20 depending were you look

I don't like the Dark Souls comparison above, Dark Souls is very forgiving and I feel that Namco marketed it wrongly due to the feedback regarding the cheesiness of the predecessor. If anything I think that kept people away from the game. The real reason why Demon's Souls and Dark Souls sold well was because it was a videogame with actual videogame values and it was bloody good which got through to word of mouth. Cult hit, etc.

AVP2010 was alright but sort of lacking, I remember the controls being very awkward compared to AVP1 and AVP2. I never finished all of the campaign and the multiplayer was bad.

No real opinion of Colonial Marines as I haven't played it yet. Is the final game as slow as it looks?

Personally I actually disagree with this focus on the original AVP. It's a very old fashioned game. Your AVP marine stuff is very close to what i'd consider the perfect way of doing it, except that i'd really like the random spawning from the first AVP and I really didn't like the melee system.

It was a good game from what I played of it, so no worries there.

Funnily enough the melee system is one of my favourite aspects of AvP 2010. It's up close, personal and it's really well designed. It may be silly from the point of view of a marine whacking an alien and sending it on its arse but in multi they really did a fantastic job in balancing all 3 species. Playing with the folks from here and having a multitude of people playing different species it never felt like anyone was really under or overpowered compared to the rest. It was exciting and new and something pretty damn original, it was awesome. Fuck I really want to play some multi now, there's still 5 - 6 servers on the PC which have lots of players on them so maybe I'll brave it and see how well I can do against long term players.

I hope linkster, daping and the rest of the Rebellion crowd feel proud of their game. It's of a much higher quality than its given credit for IMO despite its problems. I was playing some of the Predator campaign last night and the love and attention to detail in things really made me feel like the Predator. The different views, the way the health shards reminded me of it healing itself in Predator 2 and the scream the predator makes, the laser canon and the sparks it generates being a lot like in Predator amongst other things. It's biggest problem was that it just gets far too samey and the distraction thing with the voice is literally the only way to distract enemies.

If they had had one longer single player campaign with a few predator levels and a few alien levels then it would have been perfect IMO. AvP 2010 is an obvious labour of love from fans of the films who were very likely limited by time and budget. They were too ambitious in many ways but when it worked it worked fantastically well such as how good the multi is. They actually made a game where you had to be skillful when using the alien, it rewarded proper skill and play.

Colonial Marines looks to be a lot more half baked IMO, It's like as development went on they couldn't be arsed or just realised they had to get it out. I'll still play it, and I'll probably get at least some enjoyment out of it, but Aliens fans deserve better. I'd rather see Rebellion have another go at it tbh.

The point in the Games Tm review is unfortunatley to true. The enemy Soldiers are actually more of a threat than the aliens due to there weapons pack a punch. It was during the bits were you facing Weyland forces that I found myself dieing NOT when up against aliens (in fact even the Alien boss fights I was able to do on my first go!!) so there we have it in a nut shell an Aliens game were the humans are more of a threat than the Xenos!! Says a lot about the game