IGNORED

Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

Well I had a chance to play this over the weekend on the 360. I came to this wanting a great Aliens game, I enjoyed AVP 2011 even with its flaws but was hoping that this would give me the buzz that I had when I played the original AVP on pc back in 1998 – ie to be scared shitless with every turn of a corridor. Unfortunately the short answer is no – the game is more akin to Aliens the spoof movie. There are some major spoilers below as I give my thoughts on the 5 hours It takes to complete the single player campaign

Before playing, ive been looking at some of the screenshots and trailers of the game. They have really been pushing the CGI cinema trailer - ITS ALL LIES!! none of what you see in that even closely resembles the game. Even the screenshots they have released in advance are LIES!! there's a shot of you in a power loader vs the queen..... its not in the game ... you do use a power loader briefly in one bit to fight a zombified boss type alien about 1/3 the way in but it feels at best like a tutorial rather than a proper bit of the game. i was expecting that for the final fight in the loading bay with the queen... but nope its run hit 4 switch’s (no need to shoot at the queen as it doesn’t effect her) and adios biiiaaatccch.

but the story AHHHH way to go to ruin what could have been a possibly great story (direct sequel to aliens). makes no sense at all, and they bring character back from the dead who died in the movie - we know this because we have saw there dead bodies in the movies and yet they try and make a stupid excuse of why they are back! (and they never really explain why the sulluco is back over LV428 when it was last orbiting fury- or why its suddenly full of aliens since when we last saw it there was only one Alien face hugger and it got Ripley at the start of alien 3

the only good thing about the game is the actual level settings - they are impressive and they capture the sets used in the movie - so getting to walk around the sulloco, hadleys hope and the original engineer wreck from alien is actually cool ( especially the wreck as the use of the music in the game is good - esp when you first look apon the vast egg chamber were cain was facehugged in at the start of alien.

but it all boils down to the game play and that’s were this game really drags... your "squad" make storm troopers looks like Olympic marks men, The Aliens always ignore them and go straight for you (and so do the enemy troops you face in the game) while your squad stands there and does nothing (which is esp fecked up since they have the smart gun - which you only ONCE get to use in the game and never again!) the Aliens movement is just off - in AVP they nailed the movement perfectly crawling jumping from floor to roof etc... in this game they mostly run on all fours at you, only standing when they get close- sometimes they run across the ceiling but you know they won’t attack you because they only attack you when standing! and then there is the zombie alien section (i kid you not) were you have to make your way past zombie aliens who react only to sound and movement - which is great until you find 2 of the standing in front of the door you have to get past and no other way round them so no matter what you do you will antagonise them!

I was thinking about this the other day – do you actually see anyone dead in Aliens? Dietrich gets pulled up into the ceiling by an alien, but you don’t see her actually die; Frost gets set on fire and falls over a gantry (but he could have landed in some water or something). Drake is sprayed by acid, but is still alive when they close the APC. Apone and the others who get left behind are still alive hours later, as they can see from their lifesigns.

You don’t see Hudson or Burke get iced, and both Ferro and Spunkmeyer get greased offscreen. It cuts away before Vasquez and Gorman blow the grenade. Is that everyone? Bishop, Hicks, Ripley and Newt all survive.

Conceivably, the game could have everyone turn up alive somehow, and make up some rubbish explanation because you never see anyone actually die.

Smith I think that's why it prob worse as this was one of my major games of the year I'm a huge alien fan from movies to the dark horse comics to collecting the original McFarland figures with this game I was expecting a true alien game not mired by predators or other addons.... Unfort it's not to be I haven't been this disappointed in a game in ages I can usually find some quality to even the worst of games but this one is so hard because they actually started with a great premise and just blew it

It's another duke nukes case I think from. Reading the history of it the game has been passed about with gearbox being brought on to salvage what they had - the bugs in the game are bad it feels like an alpha teleporting aliens and ai all over the show. Squad / aliens getting stuck in walls etc... It seems they had an idea for a story and then threw in so many things to see if they stick... The zombie / husk alien section happens with little or no explanation why they are there.... Just a by the way you now have to sneak past these husks for the next 5 minutes that explode if you get to close to them.

Also the fact that the story just stops abruptly with no real closure makes me feel that they had run out of ideas or want to try and fleece by bringing out campaign dlc..

Also the fact that the story just stops abruptly with no real closure makes me feel that they had run out of ideas or want to try and fleece by bringing out campaign dlc..

Well there's a DLC Season Pass on GreenMan/Steam

Hungry for more Aliens: Colonial Marines? Purchase the Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and get access to four downloadable content packages at a 33% discount! All add-on content packs are scheduled to be released from March through to summer 2013. The Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass will give you access to campaign content, additional multiplayer maps, new modes, character customisation and more!

How can they fuck up this project so badly?

AVP 2011's marine campaign (what I played of it) mostly felt on the money.

Gearbox have been working on this for at least 5 years, right? How can they fail to get the basics right?

Yup, blows my mind. What with this and Duke Nukem Forever under their belt, I think they should probably just stick to Borderlands, or they seriously have to shake up their other teams.

How can they fuck up this project so badly?

AVP 2011's marine campaign (what I played of it) mostly felt on the money.

Gearbox have been working on this for at least 5 years, right? How can they fail to get the basics right?

It's hard making an Aliens game... mostly due to the expectations from the movie but also the desire / requirement to make it a shooter, rather than a straight up survival horror.

Eurogamer's article on the Alien Spectrum game the other day really impressed, I'm going to give that a go (mild shame that I hadn't even heard of it)

I had that game*! :D

Bloody hard. Go through a series of rooms until you happened across an alien, half green half pink through the colour clashing.

Much better what the Aliens film tie in game on the C64. Perma death and a serious sense of foreboding as you pan across the room and there is a xeno staring you right in the face; bam, switch to another character feed.

*the speccy Alien one.

I was always had my doubts about this the moment they removed any squad elements and made it just into another FPS linear ghost train. Originally I was hoping for something at least along the lines of Republic Commando in the Aliens universe, an action shooter with at least light strategic elements, but the fact that whole side of the game got cut did suggest a few problems.

Sad to see it's turned out even worse than I thought :wacko:

It's hard making an Aliens game... mostly due to the expectations from the movie but also the desire / requirement to make it a shooter, rather than a straight up survival horror.

AVP 2011 seemed great, what I played of it.

But, see, I thought Gearbox could do even better because they would be able to dedicate ALL of their resources to just the marine angle, as opposed to AVPs three-way approach.

And they've been working on this for so long.

Initially this sounded really fantastic - a 100% Marine/Alien focused Aliens game with a central squad combat mechanic.

Like a lot of people I started worrying as soon as they quietly dropped the squad aspect. That promised to make it something different.

But even if they were just moving ahead with an FPS, I figured they could one which be superior to AVP2011 or indeed AVP1/2.

You'd think it would at least reach that level of quality, but it appears they couldn't even do that.

How can you work on something for 5 years, with a feverishly excited fanbase and then put out a ropey-looking game with terrible bugs and flakey AI?

campaign from AVP 2 on the pc. I also have soft spot for the original Aliens arcade game which funnily is how the aliens in this game move!!

The thing is they nail the locations – they are spot on to as how they appear in the movies – it seems to be apart the various bugs they didn’t really know how to build a proper story line around it – again they kinda wash over the whole wasn’t the planet nuked from orbit so how come everything is still standing part. Its well known that they have several new types of alien but never bother explaining how they come to being (since we know that as cannon the life cycle of an alien is dictated by its host – and unless there is another version of Aliens floating about that shows hadleys hope had its own zoo – hence the rhino alien im not buying into it.

Nothing will beat Rebellion's '99 AVP game. You just couldn't get away with anything that hardcore these days, at least not in a full-price blockbuster. Near-instant death, random enemy placement, no mid-level saves (pre patch). Someone earlier said that the tech should finally ready now for a brilliant Aliens game, but I'd argue it was there 15 years ago. Every game has to be full of scripted sequences and scares these days. Even AVP2 suffered from that expectation.

How can you work on something for 5 years, with a feverishly excited fanbase and then put out a ropey-looking game with terrible bugs and flakey AI?

As others have said, I think this was passed from pillar to post amongst those five years, probably gameplay ideas have been added and stripped away during that period as different teams have put in their thoughts and spin, and then there's been a last minute 'cut our losses and release during this window' move. That might explain at least why the story doesn't make any sense whatsoever and how it doesn't even fit in with the Aliens universe.

Doesn't speak well of Gearbox at all though to be associated with it though.

Another thing that I forgot to mention was the motion tracker..... Never once did I have to use or felt that I needed to mostly because while using it you can't use you weapons. There is a very small one that appears on your HUD that's practically unusable. It would have been far better if they had just stuck a proper one on your HUD like most other alien games so far.

It's another duke nukes case I think from. Reading the history of it the game has been passed about with gearbox being brought on to salvage what they had -

That's not my understanding. There was an old game with the same name in development but it was long canned. I think this one is all Gearbox.