IGNORED

Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

I think I hated the melee stuff though. If this has QTEs for rather than awkward and unconvincing melee, i'd prefer that frankly.

SEGA didn't really like the melee either. it was never meant to be about attack, was in there to defend the marine from alien attack without doing a QTE, people rightly are wondering why there are iron sights in CM and we had the same thought - you don't want to be sniping aliens, you want them in your face out of the dark, the melee (well, block really) was to allow you to give a few secconds to then shoot them without acid damage. the right idea I think but execution is what it is.

I'm responsible for at least trying to make it scary. The first build I saw was much more squad based and I fucking hated it

Well it's all subjective but personally I found it very scary. I played some of the marine campaign, actually did kill aliens and move through objectives but gave up before too long - i would just find it too psychologically tiring to play through the whole thing.

Er...I guess that makes my interest in this seem weird. But i'm hoping to be able to get over it.

I really, really struggled with Dead Space at first too but I made a pledge when buying the game that I would complete it.

Aliens have a different place in my head though, I watched the films at an early age and had nightmares for years. Maybe I won't be able to complete this either.

You know what totally captures the atmosphere of the movie Aliens for me? A Duke Nukem impersonator doing a bad drill instructor speech over dubstep. Hot damn, I'm totally buying this for the cabbagelols.

Cripes! That drill instructor voice is awful. Sounds like Christian Bale in the Dark Knight movies.

Er...I guess that makes my interest in this seem weird. But i'm hoping to be able to get over it.

I really, really struggled with Dead Space at first too but I made a pledge when buying the game that I would complete it.

Aliens have a different place in my head though, I watched the films at an early age and had nightmares for years. Maybe I won't be able to complete this either.

I really loved Dead Space but DS2 I had the same problem as you did with the first, it was just relentless and put me off. The first one was genius and so well paced

As weak as A:CM seems to look it will still sell brilliantly, just as AvP3 did. And the disappointment cycle will continue.

The best team to make another Aliens game would have been the AvP3 team straight after learning the lessons of that project. And they would even have had enough time since then to have finished a sequel by now. But there you go...publishers!

As weak as A:CM seems to look it will still sell brilliantly, just as AvP3 did. And the disappointment cycle will continue.

The best team to make another Aliens game would have been the AvP3 team straight after learning the lessons of that project. And they would even have had enough time since then to have finished a sequel by now. But there you go...publishers!

Im not actually sure SEGA had the rights to make any more under the deal they had with Fox. There was AvP, ACM and another which AFAIK hasn't been announced

+1 for that Woo. Really enjoyed avp 2010 too. It was flawed but fun. The marine campaign was definitely the best, until the androids turned up anyway. Pred campaign was good, but so fucking easy. Aliens campaign was a vomit inducing shit-fest.

The mp was great too when it was alive. I think its still semi active on pc tho. Loved the horde mode.

And linkster, good job! There was some creepy moments in it.

I'm not sold on CM, it looks ok, but I'm not feeling it. If i can get a cheap steam key I will.

If Rebellion ever get to make another Aliens game I'd like to see them just concentrate on the Marine side and think of better setpieces, moments of tension etc. Just concentrate most on what the fans care about really. I'd take one really great Marine campaign over 3 middling campaigns any day. I'm guessing that boat's sailed unfortunately, hell they wouldn't even let Obsidian continue on with their Aliens RPG which saddens me.

Did I imagine that Creative Assembly are working on an Aliens-related game? I seem to recall it being mentioned in passing in an earnings call or something.

I stand corrected then, I didnt remember reading that had been made public. Seems so long ago. might even come out in another few years.

@woo - I agree, the alien AI deserved a better game. All I can say really is that it's decent cos it got as much effort as we could possibly give it. Three campaigns and species is a grea idea but the logistics make your head spin

The trouble with the alien is the films are all smoke and mirrors - watch aliens again, its glimpses of a fucking guy in a rubber suit and you will wonder how you ever saw anything else, try and turn that into what your imagination thinks it saw and keep them on screen for sustained periods and EVERYTHING looks wrong

We had really massive arguments about how they should behave. The hiss in MP you mention simply inherited an AI behaviour that I loved as soon as the idea came up - it was basically this, an alien spawned in darkness will stay there hanging from a ceiling or wall until you shine a light in its face and then it will hiss. You could just picture the moment! But the AI team was adamant that made them too easy to fight, and it was so fucking hard to get them to even try it out.

Very late in the day I pitched that we should scrap the three way campaign and just take the best of the missions to make one shorter campaign but it just wasn't to be

I still really, desperately want ACM to be great, with six years and one species to focus on it really should be

Out of curiosity linkster do you think Rebellion would ever have another chance at doing an Aliens game or is that it basically ?

I dunno, I loved the place but I moved on

It just sounds like ambition watered down a lot of the good parts but I certainly can't fault you all for trying :) I really want ACM to be great as well, I don't think any Aliens fan wants it to be bad, it's just that everytime I see the footage it all looks so bloody bland. I'll probably still be there day one, I can't help myself :lol: Afterall a lot of folk slagged off AvP and I like that a lot, warts and all, so we'll see how this pans out.