Your first gig

Madonna, Wembley Stadium, 1987, for a friend's birthday. Very enjoyable considering I don't like the music.

Snap. I won a ticket on capital radio. One bloody ticket, so had to go by myself, aged 14.

I do remember my first paying gig - we had just finished secondary school and a few off us ventured into Brixton to see Transvision Vamp. One of us, Andy, let the mixture of booze, heat and excitement get the better off him and managed to pass out before they even took to the stage. So we did what any responsible 16yr olds at their first proper gig would do - left him on the floor and inched away slowly.

And youtube has confirmed my memory of the date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBrStQ8uQF0

Seal when I was 14. The two girls next door, ten years older than me, had a spare ticket and so they took me up to London as a treat. It was in the Hammersmith Apollo. My main memories of the evening are:

- we were right up near the back but everyone stood up instead of sitting in their seats. Back then this was allowed.

- when Seal came on I just thought "is it really him though? Mightn't he get shot?" Basically I thought famous people were royalty or something I guess, so I kind of didn't believe it was him, just a lookalike. But I decided it probably was him because everyone else seemed to think so.

- by far my strongest memory of the night is the horrible smell of whatever food it was the girl next to me was eating. A hot dog or something but wow, it was just foul.

- there was one note Seal would hit that just resonated in a really horrible way and it hurt my ears. I think he probably felt how resonant it was because he kept hitting it hard.

- he only had one album with about 8 songs on it, so he had to do some of his songs twice.

I think the first gig I went to that I properly wanted to was Guns n Roses in 1992 at the MK bowl. They weren't great, obviously all off their tits and the sound quality was abysmal.

Last one was Muse at Emirates, next one is Roger Waters at Wembley. Bought those tickets in November.

GnR in 92 was at Wembley Stadium, 93 was MK Bowl (I know this cos I went up to MK twice in a week, GnR first weekend, Metallica the following one). 92 had Skid Row as support, which was the gig that got them banned by the borough council for singing Get the Fuck Out!

/pedantic

GnR in 92 was at Wembley Stadium, 93 was MK Bowl (I know this cos I went up to MK twice in a week, GnR first weekend, Metallica the following one). 92 had Skid Row as support, which was the gig that got them banned by the borough council for singing Get the Fuck Out!

/pedantic

The MK gig was where they brought Izzy back wasn't it?

If so I was there too and thought the sound was fine just to the left of the lighting tower.

I saw G 'n R at Wembley with Nine Inch Nails in support, of all people. I was miles away and remember nothing about the gig other than that a girl we know got her massive norks out on the video screens.

First ever gig was Clash of the Titans at Wembley Arena in 1990. Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies.

I had neck ache for days...

I saw them at Wembley with Faith No More supporting as well as the MK show.
My younger brother had gone there separately and had been right down the front all day, then just as it was getting close to the start he collapsed in the heat, vomited over some other people and was passed over the barriers.

I've still got my T-Shirt from the Clash of the Titans show at the NEC in the loft. My big memory of that was as Slayer came on and the curtains parted to reveal a wall of amplifiers, everyone started pulling the seat covers off and chucking them around. In the red lighting it looked like the air was full of huge bats to the tune of Reign in Blood. Fucking awesome stuff at the time.

I've got a VHS somewhere of the Paris show from 92 that was shown live & in full on MTV. Jeff Beck was supposed to show up but didn't, Lenny Kravitz did, and Duff was so utterly shitfaced he messed up the bass intro to Sweet Child. Must run the tape through my Dads VHS/DVD combo unit.

And NIN as support!, that must have been 91 with Soundgarden so FNM must have been 92. I think MK had Blind Melon but I don't remember who else (apologies for derailing this thread with GnR memories.)

My first gig was Mega City Four at a village hall in Crewkerne...or was it Ilminster? My memory is hazy.

No idea why they were playing such a tiny gig, they had a few records out. Not really my sort of thing though.

• 2 years later...
On 19/02/2008 at 1:13 PM, esar said:

870524-poster.jpg

Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys at the Brighton Centre in 1987.

The Beastie Boys had topless dancing girls in cages, I think it must have been the first time i'd seen real boobies as well (apart from my mums).

Weird, I was just trawling online to try and find out what year this Beastie Boys/Run DMC gig was (I thought it was 1985) and the first Google Image is this, which leads here to RLLMUK.  Small world...I was there too! 

Some poor woman outside the Brighton Centre on the seafront had made the error of driving past the gig just before it started in her VW Golf, only for it to be surrounded and stripped of it's badge/s.  :lol:

images.jpg