Your first gig

Either Symposium supported by A at the Norwich Waterfront, or a NME tour with Stereophonics, Asian Dub Foundation, Warm Jets and theaudience (fronted by Sophie Ellis Bexter) at the Norwich UEA - they were about a week apart so meld into one a bit. I was about 16, I can remember I almost fainted in the "moshpit" for A and I'd just had my big toenail removed so was jumping around on one leg to avoid having it stood on - I was completely knackered at the end.

The NME show was only really notable for the constant, partly racist abuse that ADF got (who blew all the other bands away) from the dickhead Stereophonics audience.

Fudgetunnel and Silverfish (not sure who was supporting who) at the Princess Charlotte (before it changed from pub with backroom that put on gigs, to proper venue), Leicester. Imagine it must have been Fudgetunnel supporting Silverfish as Fudgetunnel only had a handful of songs they repeated twice. Something like 1989/90.

Main memory being some young chap climbing up the speaker stack to the side of the stage midway through Fudgetunnel's set, throwing himself from the top, the crowd parting and him landing face and shoulder down on the hard floor of the pit. The gig continues and next memory is the ambulance crew making their way through the crowd to where poor chap now lies, having been helped to move a little further out of the pit, whilst we're all going mad to what we later grew to know as Gut Rot from Fudgetunnel's 'Hate Songs In E Minor'.

The exact same thing happened at some shitty ska band I was at in the Charlotte when I was over at DeMontfort, a parting of the waves, a girl smashing into the concrete and ending up unconcious, that was probably the worst injury I've seen at a gig. The weirdest was when I saw a girl in a panda suit take an epileptic fit onstage at a Flaming Lips concert in Birmingham :)

I'm going to go dig out my Fudgetunnel album now, haven't listened to it in years

Iron Maiden, the NIA (!), can't remember exactly when but it was on the Brave New World tour. Supported by Rob Halford (then just called 'Halford'), who seemed great but just ambled around the stage for most of the gig looking like he wanted to take a bite out of the microphone.

Iron Maiden were fantastic though, still one of my favourite ever gigs; more than can be said for when I saw them on the Dance of Death tour a few years later :)

Lightning Seeds at Sheffield City Hall in er...94? It was pretty great, to be honest.

I'm aware that posting after strawdonkey/Iron Maiden I have to point out that I'm listening to Dethklok while posting this.

The exact same thing happened at some shitty ska band I was at in the Charlotte when I was over at DeMontfort, a parting of the waves, a girl smashing into the concrete and ending up unconcious, that was probably the worst injury I've seen at a gig. The weirdest was when I saw a girl in a panda suit take an epileptic fit onstage at a Flaming Lips concert in Birmingham :)

I'm going to go dig out my Fudgetunnel album now, haven't listened to it in years

All the gigs I've seen at the Charlotte (and there have been many) have all been incident free. :lol:

I saw them in Glasgow on the same tour, missed the train after and ended up wandering round the city all night with a couple of mates trying to find something to do until the trains started up again at 6 the next morning. Absolutely bastard freezing. Worth it though.

You should've went clubbing or something until kicking out time - that would've given you a few hours to do something. Since it was a FNM gig, the Cathouse would have been an ideal place, but anyone know if this was open in 92?

My first gig was a NME tour, Skunk Anansie and Veruca Salt were the two main bands. I can't remember the other two bands, but I think it might have been 60ft Dolls and Marion. This was in the Garage in Glasgow.

If you mean proper gigs, I drunkenly saw Policechief at the QMU during Fresher's Week 2002, and caused permanent tinutis in my left ear from standing too close to the PA. As for gigs I actually planned to go to, I saw Feeder with Serafin at the Barrowlands in Feb 2003, during the Comfort In Sound tour. It was brilliant. I was at the peak of my Feeder obsession, and I loved every second.

Erm, first live bands I saw was at Cardiff Big Weekend. We watched I Am Kloot, and then The Datsuns. Enjoyable stuff.

First proper gig I went to was Franz Ferdinand at the CIA. Not sure what year. 2005 probably, their second album was just out. Editors and The Rakes supporting. I danced and had a good time, but in retrospect FF simply cannot hold an arena show, not by a long shot.

Queen, Milton Keynes Bowl 1982 though as we used to live 5 minutes walk from it we'd stood outside for The Police and Thin Lizzy in previous years....

You could stand in our old garden and listen to whoever was playing, great backdrop for friends coming round for a barbeque...

The next one I did was 4 long years later, Queen at Knebworth.

The first gig I went to was the Big Day Out at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1999. Acts of note included Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Ministry, Monster Magnet, Placebo, Queens Of The Stone Age, Sepultura and Queensryche.

It was an awesome day, although as I was relatively new to the whole metal/rock thing at the time I didn't appreciate a lot of the bands as much as I would now.

You should've went clubbing or something until kicking out time - that would've given you a few hours to do something. Since it was a FNM gig, the Cathouse would have been an ideal place, but anyone know if this was open in 92?

:rolleyes: Bloody kids!!

Aye it was open, still in it's original venue down at the Clyde. You also had The Venue in Glasgow, which was the trash/hardcore metalers club of choice at that time too.

My first gig was the Inspiral Carpets at Strathclyde Union in 1988/89. In my defense I was young and the venue did provide cheap bevy and lots of chicks to chase, plus it was before the signed up to Mute and became bland radio one music.

Other than Spice Girls when I was too young to choose or care, the first gig I actively went to was Bullet for my Valentine. It was pretty fun, plenty of skinny emo kids to bounce off in the pit.

Lostprophets and Boy Hits Car in about 2000, Hammersmith Apollo.

I remember the BHC singer climbing all over the speakers and some of the rigging on the ceiling, I was amazed. The great thing about Lostprophet gigs is the way the moshpit is full of munchkins, so its a bit like being in a bouncy castle.

The first gig I went to was the Big Day Out at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1999. Acts of note included Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Ministry, Monster Magnet, Placebo, Queens Of The Stone Age, Sepultura and Queensryche.

It was an awesome day, although as I was relatively new to the whole metal/rock thing at the time I didn't appreciate a lot of the bands as much as I would now.

Queensryche didn't play, I'd've remembered that Merciful Fate played though.

Monster Magnet were the band of the day by miles - awesome. Ministry were massively disappointing, but had a fucking MASSIVE guitar sound.