Q - Still stuck in 1997

Definitely Maybe is a brilliant album. Rock 'n' Roll Star, Shakermaker, Live Forever, Columbia, Bring it on Down and Ciggarettes and Alcohol are some of my favourite records. But it shouldn't be number one, or even top 5. I'd probably put it in the top 10 though. Morning Glory is OK and has a few good records on it but shouldn't be on the list.

London Calling by The Clash is at number seven but should be number one. Such an ambitious record but it's brilliant - nineteen tracks and every one of them is great. Its title track, Jimmy Jazz, Clampdown, Rudie Can't Fail, Lost in The Supermarket, Death or Glory, Spanish Bombs and Train in Vain are records that everybody should listen to. And their self-titled debut album should be in the top five. I don't post much but I reguarly check the music section on this website and not once have I read praise for The Clash, which I find laughable considering some of the other shit you guys like. They're the most important band ever.

Also, 'All Mod Cons' by The Jam should be high on the list. As should 'Wild Wood' by Paul Weller.

I don't post much but I reguarly check the music section on this website and not once have I read praise for The Clash, which I find laughable considering some of the other shit you guys like. They're the most important band ever.

The fact that you haven't heard praise for The Clash on here doesn't mean that they are universally disliked so to declare the lack of discussion to be 'laughable given the other shit' people like is pretty dumb and, to be fair, reasonably insulting.

London Calling is OK, not brilliant IMO, and The Clash are a long way from being the most important band ever. You, like the Oasis guy, seem to speak only from a blinkered fan's point of view, someone unwilling to accept that anyone could possibly disagree with your belief that Band A are the best thing since man started banging rocks against cave walls.

And Paul Weller as a solo artist is beyond dreadful. Very Q though.

What would you have suggested then in that direction - as a great influential album? It is a British top 50 and I'm racking my brains for a truely great album thats stood the test of time in those genres, maybe through ignorance, maybe because we've not lead as opposed to follow there.

Blue Lines. Where the hell is Blue Lines?

The fact that you haven't heard praise for The Clash on here doesn't mean that they are universally disliked so to declare the lack of discussion to be 'laughable given the other shit' people like is pretty dumb and, to be fair, reasonably insulting.

London Calling is OK, not brilliant IMO, and The Clash are a long way from being the most important band ever. You, like the Oasis guy, seem to speak only from a blinkered fan's point of view, someone unwilling to accept that anyone could possibly disagree with your belief that Band A are the best thing since man started banging rocks against cave walls.

And Paul Weller as a solo artist is beyond dreadful. Very Q though.

This.

Hmm.. well, anyway.

Rolling Stone did a top 500 albums (and songs) list a few years ago now. Dunno what everyone thinks to them. Certainly, they're all good albums and there's more of a mix of genres.

Is a bit top heavy with the usual suspects. I've never rated Rubber Soul or the White Album quite that highly, but still, it looks a more interesting, though no more surprising, list than most. Certainly preferable to Q's, anyway.

The real crime about that list is that there is nothing by the UK's official greatest band, XTC - but it is Q, after all, and they're as knowledgeable about music as the peeps who do Take A Break.

Mind you, I'd put the first Bananarama album above most of the shit on that list, so what do I know?

At the time, I really liked the first two Oasis albums at the time and did listen to them a fair bit. However, these days, I have little interest in listening to them, bar the odd track. Indeed, I found myself cringing when the girlfriend was going through my MP3 player, declared 'this song is amazing, I haven't heard it for years' and put on 'Married with Children' - it sounded awful and she even said 'Blimey, I remembered this to be brilliant, but...'

Without wanting to turn this into Blur versus Oasis, I think Blur's albums, bar 'Country House' (!), stand-up far better now and I listen to them all regularly. The album 'Blur' was criminally underrated, IMHO, in the face of 'Be Here Now'.

Without wanting to turn this into Blur versus Oasis, I think Blur's albums, bar 'Country House' (!), stand-up far better now and I listen to them all regularly. The album 'Blur' was criminally underrated, IMHO, in the face of 'Be Here Now'.

Couldn't agree more, I was listening to "This is a Low" the other day, and it's better than anything Oasis could come up with in their wildest dreams. That solo. ^_^

But then, I loathed Oasis and everything they stood for from the minute I first saw the video to Shakermaker. Since then my dislike has only grown.

Yeah I just re-read my post and it was pretty dumb and it does make me seem like a bit of a twat. But it is a shame that they don't generate much praise or appreciation on here imo. And that isn't coming from a narrow minded fanboy, I have a very eclectic music collection.

I just love them because they were so intent on forefronting their politics - and that can't be applied to many bands today. And I think they are the most important band ever. I could develop a long and complex argument to support that but I've only got five minutes till I've got to go out. I might do it when I get back if I can be fucked.

btw, I disagree with the poll as a whole, not just because London Calling isn't number 1.

Forgot to ask in my original post: is this a reader's poll or chosen by Q itself?

Readers' poll.

I've never seen anything said on here about a bunch of my favourite bands but, meh. I would struggle to look past Queen/Radiohead/Led Zeppelin/The Beatles if trying to name the most important band (but at the same time I realise that's just my opinion and everyone else's will differ).

In Q's defence Keane's debut is something of a minor classic. Now before you all erupt and start foaming at the mouth, electro-emo kids that you are, have a listen to it. It's a melodic hook laden feel good gem.

The follow up however, Under The Iron Sea, is unmitigated shite (bar the first track and the misleading Low-esque interludes). I think even the band themselves would be keen (huh) to distance themselves as far as possible from it.

So you're own your own rating that one higher, or even at all, Q. Sorry.

I agree with you although I think their self-titled album was critically very well received at the time, but with all the references to them being influenced by Pavement at the time, perhaps they didn't do to well in the UK in terms of sales? Song 2 was obviously a big hit at the time, but I've never been aware of the album being very popular.

Looking back at the list, I would also place the Stone Roses above Oasis, they were much more influential and I feel their music still sounds just as fresh today as it did when it first came out. One thing that differs between Oasis' first two albums and everything else they've done is that the first two sounded so effortless and just flowed, whereas the later albums just seemed to be by a band that have run out of ideas and were trying too hard to be "Oasis". A bit like REM after Monster.