Q - Still stuck in 1997

Be Here Now -was just thinking that "Stand By Me" off that album has aged really well having just heard it in the car. I also like the album.

And as an Oasis fan I agree with the top two - but really. Who, other than someone who hates Oasis or wants to see, say I dunno someone more rock respectable ala Radiohead or 'cooler' say Pink Floyd, at the top, would disagree ?? Def Maybe is surely the best British Album of all time - anyone disagree ?? and Morning Glory is at worst top 5, and certainly pushing top 3. IMO 2 is just right.

Flame away etc but top news. And great to see Don't Believe The Truth in there - that is a superb album of songs.

I certainly disagree, all the Beatles albums post mop top era beat Oasis hands down, Pink Floyd beat Oasis hands down, the Kinks beat Oasis hands down, Christ, there's not even a Kinks album in there. The same goes for Black Sabbath, John Martyn, Nick Drake, Super Furry Animals, The Specials, Roxy Music, The Fall. In fact, John Martyn's Solid Air would be my number one easily, amazing songcraft, amazing guitar playing, amazing voice, it's a flawless album

o/\o

Leftism is a flawless masterpiece in my opinion.

Electronic music is always massively under-represented in these lists, although it is Q magazine, so that's not surprising really.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Leftism is an awesome album and massively influential on the direction of music since its release. Obviously not a patch on Keane though ;)

I certainly disagree, all the Beatles albums post mop top era beat Oasis hands down, Pink Floyd beat Oasis hands down, the Kinks beat Oasis hands down, Christ, there's not even a Kinks album in there. The same goes for Black Sabbath, John Martyn, Nick Drake, Super Furry Animals, The Specials, Roxy Music, The Fall. In fact, John Martyn's Solid Air would be my number one easily, amazing songcraft, amazing guitar playing, amazing voice, it's a flawless album

It's so subjective tho isn't it ?? For me, Oasis have been consistant through my life, from say my 15th birthday - good times, bad and boring. They've lifted my spirits, cushioned my soul and still sound as fresh to me as when I first heard them.

Thats why I agree with something like this that affirms my beliefs.

I totally get why you put those artists above them - just for me they're not Oasis and as a result would always fall down.

Once again, Q prove to be at the vanguard of mediocrity and this recent poll, their 8023rd to date, shows why. The 2 best British albums are by Oasis. Quelle surprise:

This thread peaked here. 'The vanguard of mediocrity'. Superb.

I really can't believe Q is still going. The NME can sustain itself with endless, predictable controversy, but Q is about as relevant to the world as the bands it still trumpets on about. Just to lower myself in even responding to this list: Let It Bleed at number fucking FIFTY? Let It Bleed is a guaranteed appearance in the top-ten-of-all-time-ever list as compiled by GOD.

Rubbish list.

But Definitely Maybe does deserve a place in the top 20. I listened to it the other day for the first time in years. It's got such a raw, energetic sound.

I downloaded it after reading this. What's the Story (Morning Glory) was the first CD I owned when I was about 9. It's a bit boring. All the songs sound the same, man, and I spent most of it waiting for "Supersonic".

That's a shame. Live Forever, Up in the Sky, Supersonic, Bring it on Down, Digsy's Diner and most importantly, Slide Away, were all present during my most angsty years so maybe it is purely nostalgia. But I do like the snarls and nonsense in the vocals and the arrogance in the tunes still, and find their simplicity very refreshing, seeing as most of my listening habits are based around quite obtuse stuff.

Love the front cover too, but then I've always been a sucker for the visuals that a half-moved into house provides. Sets a mood for a fleeting experience, something that you purposefully try not to enjoy too much as you know things have to change. Very 1993.

No Queen? Fuck off.

For me A night isn't even the greatest Queen album - thats The Game AFAIC, additionaly there's just so many acts or genres not represented - No Def Lep Hysteria (cronically uncool but a great album and did about 18 million copies) No Dare by the Human League, no Kate Bush, No Sabbath hell no Blizzard of Oz by Ozzy, No Back in Black despite ACDC having 2 Englishmen and 2 Scottish born members at this point, nothing by Cream, nothing by Deep Purple, no Clash just loads of studenty stuff..........

The Game is great but behind Queen II, Night and Sheer Heart Attack for me :D

See, I really like "Jazz" as well, am I just being awkward? I also think Live Killers is a really good live album and I recall as a kid being told and reading repeatedly it was no good... Live Magic..now that did stink, horrid.

What always kills night for me is that bloody long track at the start of side 2, 39 and love with my car cannot undo that wrong...

Is it just me or is that list made up of entirely white people? I don't know about Muse but there's not a black/asian/african person to seen anywhere else is there?

What would you have suggested then in that direction - as a great influential album? It is a British top 50 and I'm racking my brains for a truely great album thats stood the test of time in those genres, maybe through ignorance, maybe because we've not lead as opposed to follow there. Do Soul II Soul still stand up? I don't know, maybe thats the issue rather than anything else, a lack of knowledge rather than something willful?

Lets be honest, the lack of loud rock and metal albums from there is more conspicuous especially given it's undoubted influence and the sales figures, you hear more British rock music anywhere else in the world than in Britain and it's far more highly regarded, it's like we are ashamed of some truely great bands and their influences.

A mate of mine here just asked where "The queen is dead" is in this list and thats another one that's held as a great isn't it.

Its a bit one-sided to Indie, light rock no? Can't see how it can call itself the top 50 if it doesn't encompass all genres. I'm not a fan of DnB but surely Goldie's Timeless should be in there. What about Sabbath, Maiden, Priest?

Q is a middle of the road rock mag though so it's readers are hardly going to vote for much DnB. It's the quality of their middle of the road rock choices that appalls me.