IGNORED

Man thrown out of cinema for bringing his own food

marcus

I don't get why anyone would defend this. You pay good money you should be able to take your own food in. The business model of Cinemas isn't our problem. A Cinema isn't a restaurant, I won't take my own films in.

I only learned about this policy a few weeks ago (I think there was a thread about it). I've been blissfully taking stuff into Cinemas for years - I even used to take in my weeks groceries sometimes (several carrier bags) - without a problem.

I wouldn't submit to a search in a Cinema.

my wife carries her handbag and its quite surprising how many bottles of coke/sprite she can squeeze in there

added with sports mixture, midget gems and wine gums

we went to the cinema late late week and had to buy a bottle of sprite at the cinema, £1.80 for a 500ml bottle

just outside you can get 2 for £0.90 from Asda

I never eat in the cinema and I go about once a week. Why do people have to eat? Can't you go two hours without food, for God's sake.

I find it quite repulsive the way people eat apparently whole dinners at the cinema. The smell, the sounds, the sights.Urgh. Don't these people have a meal before they go out? The most I'll take in is a small bottle of water in case I start coughing.

Oh, and when we went to see 'Snakes on a Plane', some friends and I smuggled in large quantities of JD and Coke, but I figured that's what the film-makers would have wanted you to do: it's not a film to watch stone-cold sober, no matter where you watch it.

I can tell you the exact reason why they do this, as my Dad worked in the industry for 40 years..... profits. Cinemas actually make almost no money out of the ticket sales, most of it goes to the film distributors (and they actually have a huge influence on the ticket prices themselves also). So the main way that cinemas make money, is through the sale of overpriced confectionary, and more recently those horrendous excuses for hot dogs!

I worked in a cinema for a while, and I used to let people in with their own food. What I did refuse entry for (which they're completely entitled to do) was when people were carrying alcohol. We used to spot check once the film had started as well, and kick people out when we found them with it. To be fair though, that was generally kids - and clearing up their puke when they'd had too much shandy watching Bambi wasn't nice! ;)

Booze in the cinema is always good.

As far as I know, the Cameo in Edinburgh still lets you take alcohol into the movie. Can't say I've ever done it, though. I'm one of those people who think movie food is pretty pointless. I feel sick after munching through a tub of popcorn and always get some annoyingly stuck in my teeth. And a large glass of cola/beer is just going to make me go to the toilet thirty minutes in and miss everything.

I don't eat the cinema normally, though sometimes I may have an ice cream and finish it before the movie starts.

People crunching and munching during a film is one of the things I hate about going to the cinema.

YOU. ARE. THERE. TO. WATCH. A. MOVIE.

Not to eat your dinner. Not to slurp drinks through straws. Not to have a chair-kicking contest. Not to talk to your family. Not to text your friends. Not to explain the plot to the imbecile and/or child you brought with you. Not to sit their translating all the dialogue into Spanish for your grandmother. Not to repeat the funny line from early in the movie for the next ninety minutes.

If you can't concentrate on a film for a couple of hours without needing something else to do, stay the fuck out of the cinema.

Oh, and for fuck's sake, go to the toilet before the film starts. Even if you don't think you want to do. And if having a drink might make you want to go to the toilet during the movie, don't fucking have one. I don't, because I can't trust my bladder. I don't even drink anything for a couple of hours before leaving for the cinema, just to be on the safe side.

Sit down. Look at the screen for two hours. Leave.

Is that so hard?

I'd ban people from breathing if I could. Noisy buggers.

If the prices of the food and drink in cinemas weren't so expensive, I'd have no problem paying. The local Odeon charges £6.20 per film, and with popcorn and drink I'll be paying not far off £14. So I go to my local offlicense, buy a pack of buttons, a bottle of coke an maybe a small bag of popcorn. Total about £2.30.

I don't eat the cinema normally

I thought I should post to make everyone aware how hard it was not to make a really shit pun over this typo.

It was really hard.

If you get caught breaking the cinema's rules, you should get kicked out. Cinema staff should not be allowed to search people. I'm genuinely amazed that this has required any discussion, or that it even made 'news' in the first place.

The last time I went to the cinema (in London but not a central London one) there was a Geordie guy behind me in the queue and they took his stuff off him, a bottle of drink and some sweets, which there were going to give back after the film. He was suprised as he said it was common and he said he always does it. He also said the ticket prices were more expensive than he was used to. And as for the food prices, well to say he was shocked would be an understatement.

It's a strange one this. The whole point of going to the cinema for me is to watch the film but it seems like the popcorn etc is as much part of the cinema experience for some people so I guess that is why the cinema's have started doing this. Bit shitty really.

Most of the time I don't bother with the food and the only thing I smuggled in was a few cans once when me and a few mates went to see a film on a Friday night after the pub.

The cinema i goto before it changed hands didnt care too much about bringing your own food. However i went to see final destination 3 when it was out and had some drinks and food and they told me i couldnt bring it in (it had changed hands by this time). I took it back to the car but stuck most of it around my waist and got back in.

Most the times, ill just hide the food/drink in my jacket or tuck it into my belt.

no chance in hell im paying for their food or drink, its a rip off

The cinema i goto before it changed hands didnt care too much about bringing your own food. However i went to see final destination 3 when it was out and had some drinks and food and they told me i couldnt bring it in (it had changed hands by this time). I took it back to the car but stuck most of it around my waist and got back in.

Most the times, ill just hide the food/drink in my jacket or tuck it into my belt.

no chance in hell im paying for their food or drink, its a rip off

I do this when I take a girl to the cinema

'I have a Pepparami hidden somewhere in my trousers, it's yours if you can find it'

At the local cineworld (err might be showcase actually) they now serve burgers and chips which people bring into the cinema. I really really hate it, you get that horrible cloud of grease/acrid vinegar stench wafting over and it makes sitting near someone eating them really unpleasant.

I have written to them but recieved no reply.

I do find it amusing how people moan about the ticket prices for going to the cinema. Really it's not that bad for two hours entertainment in comparison to other entertainment. A rugby or football match for the same amount of entertainment time is anything from £10 to £100, and that could be just as dull as watching a crap film.

Of course you can get a hooker for £5, so that is an alternative which may provide more entertainment, along with some "freebies" which you weren't expecting ;)

I can tell you the exact reason why they do this, as my Dad worked in the industry for 40 years..... profits. Cinemas actually make almost no money out of the ticket sales, most of it goes to the film distributors (and they actually have a huge influence on the ticket prices themselves also). So the main way that cinemas make money, is through the sale of overpriced confectionary, and more recently those horrendous excuses for hot dogs!

This is true, I contracted for a software firm testing cinema PoS software and they had teams working on genetic algorythms that could calculate which size screen a certain film should be shown on at any one time. The cinema has to pay the distributer on a per play / per seat basis, if a film plays to an empty house on the cinema's biggest screen that's a massive loss.

Having said that, that shouldn't really be our problem and we shouldn't have to pay extra for food because the fundamentle model of film distribution is broken. If cinema really is in as much trouble as we're lead to beleive this is the area that needs sorting.

I do find it amusing how people moan about the ticket prices for going to the cinema. Really it's not that bad for two hours entertainment in comparison to other entertainment. A rugby or football match for the same amount of entertainment time is anything from £10 to £100, and that could be just as dull as watching a crap film.

Of course you can get a hooker for £5, so that is an alternative which may provide more entertainment, along with some "freebies" which you weren't expecting ;)

I don't think anyone is moaning about cinema price tickets though. It's the cost of the food and drink that are outrageous.