dino_jr

Smashing Pumpkins

Just wondering if anyone's seen them on their current tour?

I'm going to the O2 tomorrow. Wondering if I'm likely to miss anything as I won't be there til 8 ish...

i went last night. They sounded incredible, for the small part they played. Then billy corgan stormed off in a big strop, and they ended thier set an HOUR early.

It was half incredible, half a f**kin disgrace, that it cost £35 to watch half of the set ;)

Saw them at the Kings Hall on Sunday past. Absolutely fucking shite, played for nearly 3 hours (about an hour of which was self-indulgent guitar wanking and feedback abuse), sounded terrible, yet the crowd ate them up. Worst £35 I've ever spent.

They're my favourite band & I was lucky enough to see them twice under their original guise (best gigs of my life), but this 'comeback' has been a disaster in my opinion. Zeitgeist was distinctly average - certainly not worthy of being spoken of in the same breath as Mellon Collie & Siamese Dream - and the live shows that I've heard don't stack up to the ones that I saw 10 years ago or so. Admittedly they could be a bit hit & miss back then as well, but when they were on fire they were absolutely stunning.

I always used to scoff at those who would say things such as "It's not the same band since the bass-player left, man", but now I know exactly how it feels.

Sorry to be negative, but it just makes me so sad to see such a shining light of the 90s alternative rock scene sully their legacy like this. ;)

Well O2 arena on Saturday was awesome. They played for over two and a half hours.

However...

No Disarm

No Cherub Rock

No I am one

But Billy seemed in a good mood for a change, mocking English Beer bellys and covering Girls aloud at one point.

Only issue I had was with the O2 itself. Nowhere to put your coat?!?!? I was stuck with a huge winter jacket under my arm all night...

I thought they were great too, I was dreading it after some of the earlier reviews here.

The fucking staff in the 02 though... I nearly got thrown out after shouting 'fuck off' at this fucking cunt crowd attendant wouldn't leave me alone even though I was standing well out of the way.

They're my favourite band & I was lucky enough to see them twice under their original guise (best gigs of my life),

I've not got much interest in them anymore, but I saw them on their Mellon Collie tour back in the day. Great gig, despite being in a shitty venue (SECC).

It kind of bothers me that in his blog seemingly he can talk endlessly about the early days of The Smashing Pumpkins (when they were truly great) yet he can't actually keep in mind those days and attempt to create the brilliant music that he once was able to. New song is dreadfully boring. His voice is still there, it's just a massive pity that the music to go along with it isn't.

His vocals were the weakest element of that band, too.

Gish is the only album I really bother with these days. His vocals are a little buried in the mix and rarely venture into pained feline impersonations. Plus, RIFFS.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, saw them at Reading 2007, and it was half great, half boring. They played some of the better songs from Zeitgeist, some of the classics, and a 15 minute sound wall of Heavy Metal Machine, and completely lost the crowd. Was disappointing.

I've been a fan of Smashing Pumpkins since way back when, and I still listen to the older albums from time to time. I pretty much love most of what they did up until the breakup around 1999-2000 but after that it all started going horribly wrong. I was still listening when Corgan/Chamberlin formed Zwan and thought "Mary Star" was a fairly good album, but when Corgan gave out "The Future Embrace" it was completely lost on me. Similarly I was never able to appreciate "Zeitgeist."

Sadly i think the whole ordeal with SP is turning into another case of the "Guns N' Roses'" The way I see it, at this point it just doesn't make much sense for Billy Corgan to insist on calling the band Smashing Pumpkins. I mean, it was questionable even when he still had Chamberlin on board, but now that he is the only original band member left it seems to me he is only making a fool of himself. It's embarrassing to watch.

Exactly! He would have no problems making it as a solo artist going by his own name, so why doesn't he?

The only explanation I can think of, as to why he insist of keeping the bands name, is that it has turned into a matter of principle for him. Either that or we're talking full-fleshed megalomania here, along the lines of "I Billy = Smashing Pumpkins, past and present!" Whatever the cause, someone really should kick some sense into him.

Billy Corgan would have no problems making it as a solo artist going by his own name? Nah, I'm pretty sure you've nailed it with your explanation.

A "Billy Corgan" album would sell fuck all, plus it would sound like shit. James Iha leaving was the death of the band, Jimmy Chamberlain was the final nail in the coffin, Corgan is just absolutely bullshitting himself if he thinks people will continue to support the Pumpkins. I know I won't.

As mentioned though he has released an album under his own name, The Future Embrace and it faired much worse than Zeitgeist (which to be fair is a better album). Both are completely credited from a writing stand point to Billy Corgan, so it's obvious that the Smashing Pumpkins' name has a lot a cache.

To be honest I think he does see the Smashing Pumpkins's name belonging to him, and looking at the writing credits most of the songs are credited to him. Basically only the odd one or two from any given album have joint credits. Although I appreciate there is more to it than just who got the actual writing credit.

He was a control freak and if you believe the stories about Siamese Dream (to my mind their best album) he not only wrote most of it (Iha has joint credits on 2 songs) but recorded pretty much everything bar the drums on that album.

I adore the Smashing Pumpkins/Corgan but they/he seriously went down hill after Adore in my mind. He just isn't going to write an album like Siamese Dream again (I think we are going to have to rely on The Silversun Pickups to do that!).

His (named) solo effort just reminds me of Chris Cornell's stuff, just so much less than the sum of the parts of bands he has been in (despite once again being the one with the lion's weight of writing credits).

Billy Corgan would have no problems making it as a solo artist going by his own name? Nah, I'm pretty sure you've nailed it with your explanation.

A "Billy Corgan" album would sell fuck all, plus it would sound like shit. James Iha leaving was the death of the band, Jimmy Chamberlain was the final nail in the coffin, Corgan is just absolutely bullshitting himself if he thinks people will continue to support the Pumpkins. I know I won't.

I get what you're saying, and I am not suggesting that the name "Billy Corgan" is as well known as "Smashing Pumpkins" but that doesn't mean that it can't be established as a brand name. Being the frontman of a once hugely successful band, he still has quite a wide following of people paying attention to what he is putting out there, in hopes that he might still be able to produce something worthwhile. Whether or not he succeeds as "Billy Corgan" will then rely on the product he offers, which is, like youre saying yourself, at the root of the problem. I think the main reason that "The Future Embrace" didn't sell was because it was a shitty album, and not because it was released as a Billy Corgan solo album. If he had produced an album worth listening to, then surely he would be able to sell quite a lot as "the ex-frontman of Smashing Pumpkins." It seems Corgan doesn't understand that clinging to the name "Smashing Pumpins" doesn't change the fact that the music he produces nowadays is crap, it just makes fans of the old Smashing Pumpkins lose all respect for him as a musician. Atleast I know I have.

To be honest I think he does see the Smashing Pumpkins's name belonging to him, and looking at the writing credits most of the songs are credited to him. Basically only the odd one or two from any given album have joint credits. Although I appreciate there is more to it than just who got the actual writing credit...

...His (named) solo effort just reminds me of Chris Cornell's stuff, just so much less than the sum of the parts of bands he has been in (despite once again being the one with the lion's weight of writing credits).

I think you've got a point about him feeling that the name belongs to him, he just doesn't seem to recognize that fans of the band see the old Smashing Pumkins as something more than just a single persons efforts.

And don't get me started on Chris Cornell. That whole Timbaland collaboration sounds so awful it is actually funny. I still think CC has an amazing voice and as you said, he has contributed to many brilliant albums in the past, but clearly he is not doing so well on his own.

Thos wondering why he uses the name Smashing Pumpkins....Zwan Featuring Original pumkins members Jimmy Chamberlain and Billy Corgan played Glasto a few years ago. They were on the 2nd stage in the afternoon. The same two guys played Reading in 2007. Called the Smashing Pumpkins. They headlined the whole thing.

The new song is genuinely the worst I've ever heard by someone whose music I used to like a great deal.

Behold: Widow Make My Mind.

http://www.myspace.com/smashingpumpkins

:coffee: Fucking awful.

I don't know why I give even a cursory listen to his new stuff, as I haven't liked anything since Adore*, which is at least a decade ago now.

Morbid curiosity, I guess.

* Edit: Apart from 'Stand Inside Your Love', which is great.

I think the main reason that "The Future Embrace" didn't sell was because it was a shitty album, and not because it was released as a Billy Corgan solo album.

This. And the fact that Corgan announced he was reforming the Pumpkins the week before it came out suggests he fucking knew it.

And yeah, Widow's pretty horrible. And the myspace page is a little "8-year-old-girl" innit?

I don't know why I give even a cursory listen to his new stuff, as I haven't liked anything since Adore*, which is at least a decade ago now.

Credit where it's due, Zeitgeist had some nice moments...

I'm a massive Pumpkins fan, still listen to Gish, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie regularly but I thought Zeitgeist was utter shit. Totally devoid of any brilliant catchy riffs that made songs like Today, Rocket, Cherub Rock etc so amazing. I thought Adore was okay and some of the stuff on Machina was great (Stand Inside Your Love, I of the mourning, Age of Innocence).

I saw them on the Machina tour at the Birmingham NIA in 2000 I think and even then it was a mixed bag. The first half of the set was all accoustic, they were all decked in white robes if I remember right! Then the second half they finally got going, but only played a handful of songs from the first few albums. I of the Mourning still sticks in my head from that night, it sounded amazing, but I remember coming away gutted that there were so many of my favourites that they never even played.

What's worse is I actually tried to see them on the Siamese Dream tour, drove all the way to Nottingham Rock City but they were sold out and we couldn't quite afford tickets from the touts outside. A few of my friends did get in though and said it was unbelievably good. They played the whole album in order from start to finish. I think the Verve ware supporting that night too. :)

• Upvote 1

The new song is genuinely the worst I've ever heard by someone whose music I used to like a great deal.

Behold: Widow Make My Mind.

http://www.myspace.com/smashingpumpkins

That sounds fucking awful! I still love the old stuff, but this just confirms yet again that he is no longer able to create anything worth listening to.

This. And the fact that Corgan announced he was reforming the Pumpkins the week before it came out suggests he fucking knew it.

And yeah, Widow's pretty horrible. And the myspace page is a little "8-year-old-girl" innit?

Either he knew it was bad, or he was just already plotting how to take advantage of the "SP" brand name to promote his solo crap.

And yeah, the myspace page is not exactly “rock n' roll”, I guess it's safe to say his rebel days are over.

I actually tried to see them on the Siamese Dream tour, drove all the way to Nottingham Rock City but they were sold out and we couldn't quite afford tickets from the touts outside. A few of my friends did get in though and said it was unbelievably good. They played the whole album in order from start to finish.

Never got to see them live in all their glory either, but those were the days.

The only thing missing now in order to complete this travesty is for the next “Smashing Pumpkins” album to be featuring a duet between Billy Corgan and Jessica Simpson. He might as well, no one's ever going to take him seriously again anyway. Lost cause.