A Totally Awesome Mix You Should Download

Nate Dogg III

Aye, sorry Todos I forgot to post in here after listening to it last night!

Awesome, really really great! Was drifting off to sleep during the 'Why are you crying.... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW' but and it scared the shit out of me.

Really really good, though! :)

Yes, you will find a very different feel to the last mix. Due to Proton requesting a 2hr version I tried very hard to progress the mix as time went on without it getting too ambient or boring. I found it much harder to pad out to 2hrs than the original 1 hr mix. Think the results were good though. Im happy with it. I feel its a bit darker and sinister in parts compared to session 1.

It's superb, todos. Fantastic track-selection, and the samples are all beautiful - I grinned widely upon hearing Egon. I loved that it wasn't used for comic effect.

edit: ... and 'Opening the Mouth' mixed in... :lol:

Another word of praise from me, fwiw. Never mind that it's my favourite Four Tet track, but the seque into No More Mosquitos made me smile a lot.

Thanks for posting Nate Dog, thanks even more for mixing todos!

edit: Oh snap, there's another mix? AWESOME!

Cheers for the comments guys. It was the difficult followup so Im happy its worked out. Proton have offered me a monthly slot (The Kilchurn Sessions) so you might be in for one every month. That will really test me I think.

Cheers for the comments guys. It was the difficult followup so Im happy its worked out. Proton have offered me a monthly slot (The Kilchurn Sessions) so you might be in for one every month. That will really test me I think.

I would seriously think about turning that down. Maybe once every three or four months would be fine, but honestly, every month? Can you really see yourself producing work to the same standard on that kind of frequency? I'd hate to see the quality decline ...

That was exactly my thoughts David. I mean the gap between the first 2 was 5 months. And a lot of work went into that time getting the 2nd one compiled and mixed.

One idea I put to them was that I could invite other mixers and producers that I know to submit mixes/sets for the show. This would allow me to concentrate on a mix bi-monthly say. I could also give them mixes of other genres but then Id want to lose the 'Kilchurn' tag. As those in the series of that name should be of a similar vibe to the 2 Ive already done. Im still debating.

thanks todos, these are both nice. Glad I checked back into this thread, I missed the second one for a while!

edit - heeeey, I always drop that BoC Blockbusters track into things! o/

(things being collections of tunes, nothing so fancy as your mixes)

Really liked this one too, although I'd definitely have left out the Burial track at the start, it has a completely different energy to the rest of the mix. One thing I like about your mixing style is that the transitions are quite varied, there was a melodic one about an hour in that kept going for over 5 minutes which was a nice surprise.

What do you think of the Afterhours series?

Where do you get the film samples from (because I've always wanted to use some in mixes myself but don't know where to look)?

Really liked this one too, although I'd definitely have left out the Burial track at the start, it has a completely different energy to the rest of the mix. One thing I like about your mixing style is that the transitions are quite varied, there was a melodic one about an hour in that kept going for over 5 minutes which was a nice surprise.

What do you think of the Afterhours series?

Where do you get the film samples from (because I've always wanted to use some in mixes myself but don't know where to look)?

Hey Murdock. You have thought exactly the same as me. Once I had finished the mix and listened back for the first time in my car I straight away didnt like how the Burial track fitted within the mix. I tinkered around and ended up replacing it with Burials remix of Jamie Woon 'Wayfaring Stranger' and that seemed to run a little smoother (although still up tempo) but I didnt replace in the final mix. I dont know why I then went ahead without the change. I might have to come back and replace it with something different.

Ive been fond of the afterhours series since it was introduced but have slightly fallen behind in purchasing the newer ones. I only have the first 2.

As for the film samples. I use audio hijack on my mac which allows you to record the audio quickly and easily from any application. Some samples are recorded straight from the dvds and others are from youtube. I find many movie scenes are on youtube so just record straight from there, then muck around with them a bit.

Thanks for listening and for the comments angel and scruffycat :unsure:

• 2 months later...