rllmuk
Rex Grossman

Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

Just got back from half a day in the pub

Great, great day of rugby. Awesome sofa action in the back room of a pub in Richmond, big telly, beer in easy reach, even served us food during the England v France match. Amazing hospitalitousness.

I need sleep.

I think you're one of those 'professional Welshmen' I meet a lot in London.

Well you are from cardiff so you should fit right in with that lot. :lol:

And whats a welshman doing with a american football player is his avatar. Don't tell me you watch that load of shite.

You are the best wind up merchant :lol:

You are joking, right?

No.

There are so many 'proud Welshmen' who only ever 'support' their country by watching the rugby team on TV. Would never occur to them to watch their local rugby club or football team play in the flesh. They'd rather trek to Anfield or wherever in their replica shirt or sit in front of Sky 'supporting' one of the big 4. Thanks for doing your bit for Welsh sport, guys! Whenever I see a Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea shirt on a Welsh person in Wales I cringe.

Well you are from cardiff so you should fit right in with that lot. :lol:

And whats a welshman doing with a american football player is his avatar. Don't tell me you watch that load of shite.

Cardiff is a world away from London. I meet so many phony Welsh people in England. They say they love Wales but there's no way they'd ever move back.

And I didn't realise being Welsh stopped you from liking other sports! I used to go to see the Cardiff Mets (Cardiff Tigers were too far away) at the Arms Park every home game when I was a kid. Loved it.

Oh shut up you prat. Who the hell are you to define the lofty criteria by which a welshman's patriotism is measured? You know fuck all about me, save given the dilema of watching a local side versus Arsenal I'd side with the team I've supported for over two decades. You've got no idea what support I actually give local sides!

Where are you? London. I'm here in the valleys mate, where with my training my job prospects are a bit rubbish, but I stay here anyway because I love the place.

England were awful, but the French selectors once again took the biscuit. Why put out your inexperienced half-back partnership for more than an hour? Why pick a pack full of brawlers who cannot scrum straight? And where were the tactics - let's run straight at the line, then pick and drive down the blind side?

When Haskell went off injured, I feared the worst. When Traille missed those kicks, I laughed. A lot. Great drop goal from Jonny (29th, a world record) and an awesome debut from the Wriggly one...

Wales were better and while I think they still need to improve a lot I think the extra confidence they are building will get them where they want to be that bit quicker. Peel was out of sorts, obviously not helped by the knock to the head. Phillips did well to get in the Italians faces, just what was needed. Jones was good too. I like Hook but maybe he needs more time, a tough call.

England...who knows? They were certainly better but they didn't have to do much. France just didn't compete and were very one dimensional. That said, the next world cup is a long way off and I admire France trying out so many different players. They still need a great Fly Half, and much as I like Screla he doesn't seem to be the one and nobody else is really shouting out for selection.

Ireland & Scotland... I fell asleep to be honest but it seemed like a good Irish performance in patches. Their next game against Wales should be a belter.

Oh shut up you prat. Who the hell are you to define the lofty criteria by which a welshman's patriotism is measured? You know fuck all about me, save given the dilema of watching a local side versus Arsenal I'd side with the team I've supported for over two decades. You've got no idea what support I actually give local sides!

Where are you? London. I'm here in the valleys mate, where with my training my job prospects are a bit rubbish, but I stay here anyway because I love the place.

Yeah, I had to move London to get a job. I'm a whole 2 hours away from where I grew up. But I'm from Cardiff so will still travel to support MY team. Through accident of birth, I support Cardiff and Wales. I'd support them at tiddlywinks if it came to it.

I accept Arsenal are bigger and better team than either of your local sides (Cardiff and Swansea) and thus offer more glamour, but I don't care. In the same way even if the Welsh rugby union team were outside the top 20 and boring to watch I'd still not switch to England.

I just don't understand why you plough money into watching Arsenal (one of the most expensive places to watch club football in the world) when you could be at one of your local teams (both of which will be just one division below Arsenal next season) being part of a community. You say your job prospects are rubbish but still find money to go to the Emirates? Don't tell me, you only watch them on TV :lol:

I only brought this up because you said watching Wales beat Italy was the only thing that could cheer you up after watching a Brazilian-born Croatian international, playing for a London club get injured in Birmingham.

And you love the valleys?

Typical Welsh inferiority complex.

Wales were better and while I think they still need to improve a lot I think the extra confidence they are building will get them where they want to be that bit quicker. Peel was out of sorts, obviously not helped by the knock to the head. Phillips did well to get in the Italians faces, just what was needed. Jones was good too. I like Hook but maybe he needs more time, a tough call.

I finally feel there is a great SQUAD now, y'know? Competition for every place and Gatland not afraid to make tough decisions. That game in Dublin will be FIRE.

I accept Arsenal are bigger and better team than either of your local sides (Cardiff and Swansea) and thus offer more glamour, but I don't care.

It's not about the glamour, but I'm sick and tired of justifying it to the likes of you. How did you choose which American football team to support? American football has precisely fuck all to do with you.

Don't tell me, you only watch them on TV :lol:

I've never been to see them, and this is where you fall off your high horse from loling so much. Go for it, I'm happy to have provided the giggles for you. You can only support a club if you pay to see them! You can only be patriotic if you invest money in the local football clubs. Well, that's all those who don't support football shit out of luck then, isn't it! How often do you fly over to Soldier Field to watch Rex?

I only brought this up because you said watching Wales beat Italy was the only thing that could cheer you up after watching a Brazilian-born Croatian international, playing for a London club get injured in Birmingham.

And you love the valleys?

Who he plays for, where he was born and what he was doing at the time was irrelevant. It was an appalling injury and seeing the pictures made me feel quite sick. If it had happened outside in the street, I'd have been feeling equally as grim. However, don't let that stop you jumping to conclusions - you've excelled at that here, I wouldn't want to knock you out of your stride.

Typical Welsh inferiority complex.

No, I just can't be bothered with insufferable know-it-alls.

It's not about the glamour, but I'm sick and tired of justifying it to the likes of you. How did you choose which American football team to support? American football has precisely fuck all to do with you.

Your argument fails badly here – you chose Arsenal over you local Welsh teams. I chose Chicago over a bunch of other American cities. If there was a team based in South Wales playing in the NFL I imagine I'd have followed them. The only thing it's got to do with me is I was a sports-mad kid and I enjoyed the NFL.

I've never been to see them, and this is where you fall off your high horse from loling so much. Go for it, I'm happy to have provided the giggles for you. You can only support a club if you pay to see them! You can only be patriotic if you invest money in the local football clubs. Well, that's all those who don't support football shit out of luck then, isn't it! How often do you fly over to Soldier Field to watch Rex?

Rather amazingly I've been to see the Bears play in the flesh more often than you've seen Arsenal play! To go and see them at Soldier Field costs around a grand if you include flights, ticket and a night's food and board. That money would be better served going to watch quite a few Cardiff football and rugby games. So I tend to make that decision. And like I say, I used to watch the Cardiff Mets every week in the British American Football League when I was a kid. Local team, see?

Who he plays for, where he was born and what he was doing at the time was irrelevant. It was an appalling injury and seeing the pictures made me feel quite sick. If it had happened outside in the street, I'd have been feeling equally as grim. However, don't let that stop you jumping to conclusions - you've excelled at that here, I wouldn't want to knock you out of your stride.

I can't believe you've compared an awful foul on a football pitch with what would need to be an assault on the street. They are completely different. Or are you suggesting Taylor should have a custodial sentence. Plus, if the foul happened on a Welsh pitch you personally wouldn't even know about it.

No, I just can't be bothered with insufferable know-it-alls.

No, you just can't be bothered with Welsh sports teams, yet fly the red dragon in your avatar.

Not going to join in this debate too much except to say that i'm also a wales & arsenal supporter. Grew up in London, bought up as welsh but the team I have been to watch on numerous occasions are Arsenal. Don't see anything wrong with that whatsoever. Let's face it, being a Wales supporter for the last twenty odd years hasn't exactly been a bed of roses... but its in the blood!

I can't believe you've compared an awful foul on a football pitch with what would need to be an assault on the street. They are completely different. Or are you suggesting Taylor should have a custodial sentence. Plus, if the foul happened on a Welsh pitch you personally wouldn't even know about it.

:lol: I admit you were initially annoying with all this stuff, but now you're just being comical. The injury was appalling, not the circumstances or where it happened. The fact I saw a foot hanging off. I can't spell it out any clearer for you mate. You've just put two and two together and assumed I was sobbing for someone other than a Welshman.

No, you just can't be bothered with Welsh sports teams, yet fly the red dragon in your avatar.

Dumbfounding, you've no idea what my local support is, other than at Arsenal matches, which are hardly frequent. The chip you've got on your shoulder is quite staggering to be honest. Being patriotic isn't just about gate receipts at CCFC (who field 5 Welshman, out of a squad of 36 by the way).

I digress, this whole exercise is rendered moot with your kack-handed assumptions, so I apologise for causing the mess in this thread. Have your final say, I'm done.

:lol: I admit you were initially annoying with all this stuff, but now you're just being comical. The injury was appalling, not the circumstances or where it happened. The fact I saw a foot hanging off. I can't spell it out any clearer for you mate. You've just put two and two together and assumed I was sobbing for someone other than a Welshman.

Dumbfounding, you've no idea what my local support is, other than at Arsenal matches, which are hardly frequent. The chip you've got on your shoulder is quite staggering to be honest. Being patriotic isn't just about gate receipts at CCFC.

I digress, this whole exercise is rendered moot with your kack-handed assumptions, so I apologise for causing the mess in this thread. Have your final say, I'm done.

I'll repeat it again, if the injury happened in a Cardiff match you wouldn't know about it because it wouldn't even be on your radar.

I know you're dying to tell us what Welsh sports teams you DO support (if it doesn't clash with games in North London) so please enlighten us. But even if you can't, you're not alone – millions of people in the UK 'support' one of the big 4 rather than a local team because they crave reflected glory rather than local pride. If Arsenal somehow got relegated you'd bin your replica shirt collection and cancel your Sky subscription.

A few years ago, Cardiff played in Highbury's last-ever FA Cup game. They lost 2-1 and I find it rather staggering you will have wanted a team you have no real connection with to beat a team a few miles away from your home, a place you claim to love.

If when you were a kid the Welsh rugby team was an utter joke, you're be wearing a white rugby shirt with a red rose on it nowadays.

Not going to join in this debate too much except to say that i'm also a wales & arsenal supporter. Grew up in London, bought up as welsh but the team I have been to watch on numerous occasions are Arsenal. Don't see anything wrong with that whatsoever. Let's face it, being a Wales supporter for the last twenty odd years hasn't exactly been a bed of roses... but its in the blood!

Where are your parents from? Arsenal fans, too?

Which rugby union club do you support? Following your Arsenal logic it must be an English club, too.

Thats all well and groovey but having a go at someone supporting arsenal who is from wales and then saying you have been to see american football games and support a team not even based in your own country is quite hypocritical in some ways. FYI I don;t support any football team but I was shocked at the leg break as it was just utterly disgusting looking. Also a nasty leg break yesterday in scotlands match.

Where are your parents from? Arsenal fans, too?

Which rugby union club do you support? Following your Arsenal logic it must be an English club, too.

My parents are from the Rhondda. My parents can't stand football. I started going to football games when I was at school and most of my mates supported Arsenal as they were the local team... seems logical to me.

As for the rugby team I support. I haven't been to a club game in years but when I was in my teens and used to go to wales every few weeks I used to go and see Swansea quite regularly. Since regionalisation I haven't been to a game. But I would support ANY welsh team in the Celtic or Heineken cup.

I'm sure you have some big point to prove to yourself for some reason but I'm quite happy with my choices... thanks.

The place went wild, it was made even better by the fact i found a little Italian man selling beer with no que at all so i had quick beer served through the entire thing, was a relly amazing experience though.

My parents are from the Rhondda. My parents can't stand football. I started going to football games when I was at school and most of my mates supported Arsenal as they were the local team... seems logical to me.

As for the rugby team I support. I haven't been to a club game in years but when I was in my teens and used to go to wales every few weeks I used to go and see Swansea quite regularly. Since regionalisation I haven't been to a game. But I would support ANY welsh team in the Celtic or Heineken cup.

I'm sure you have some big point to prove to yourself for some reason but I'm quite happy with my choices... thanks.

Serious question: why support English football teams but Welsh rugby teams?

Simply because the Welsh football teams aren't up to much?

Thats all well and groovey but having a go at someone supporting arsenal who is from wales and then saying you have been to see american football games and support a team not even based in your own country is quite hypocritical in some ways. FYI I don;t support any football team but I was shocked at the leg break as it was just utterly disgusting looking. Also a nasty leg break yesterday in scotlands match.

I didn't pick the Chicago Bears over a Welsh team though did I?

I choose my local team EVERY time. I've seen Cardiff's American football teams play more than any NFL team!

I like being from SE Wales, so I don't feel the need to ignore my area just because some teams are higher in the league.

I should have mentioned this in the PM, but it's ridiculous to assume that the only reason for supporting teams from elsewhere is because they're "higher in the league". There are 101 valid reasons for supporting clubs from elsewhere, beyond the glory hunt.

To be honest, your mentioning the Welsh rugby teams was a better argument, as Cardiff are comprised mostly from non-Welsh players and don't even play in the Welsh league.

Serious question: why support English football teams but Welsh rugby teams?

Simply because the Welsh football teams aren't up to much?

LOL...and welsh rugby teams are?

In seriousness its just reality. I grew up with a dad and two brothers who were made rugby fans and so was I. I also grew up feeling 'welsh'.

When it came to football I just supported local.

Newport County played Man Utd a few years back, and there was Newport lads shouting for United in the stands.

I couldn't believe it.

That was the first night night I killed a man.

I didn't pick the Chicago Bears over a Welsh team though did I?

I choose my local team EVERY time. I've seen Cardiff's American football teams play more than any NFL team!

I like being from SE Wales, so I don't feel the need to ignore my area just because some teams are higher in the league.

I noticed the SE wales bit, tut tut at not including the rest of your fellow welshmen. Mind you ever time you have replied to something I said in the past you couldn;t help having a dig at swansea.

South East Wales is the real Wales.

The rest of Wales is populated by savages beating each other around the head with sticks and building huts with their own faeces. It's science.

South East Wales is the real Wales.

The rest of Wales is populated by savages beating each other around the head with sticks and building huts with their own faeces. It's science.

No thats the real wales!