rllmuk
Rex Grossman

Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

The Watson card looked a bit harsh to me initially but I think it was fair in the end. He has to go in arms out to try and wrap the player up to stop the offload but in the replay he clearly holds it out a slightly awkward angle to try and block the ball. If it looks normal then it's just a scrum - you can't have it both ways where players have to tackle with their arms but then tell them not to tackle with their arms in case there is a knock on. Either way, Watson has looked good the last couple of games, still got great acceleration and good in the air.

From an England perspective I think you have to look at the inability to convert a number of excellent line breaks into points as the biggest negative, along with the failed mauls and a few turnovers too many. The starting lineup was still a good few players short of a starting 15 too (versus Wales starting line up) so i'm sure the team will take some comfort from that.

For Wales their defence was outstanding (as it was in the 6N) and a lot of good teams will struggle to score against them. Great turnover work and really good at tying up the maul. The worry would be that they look slightly blunt in attack (were there any line breaks?) and the scrum looked a bit flaky.

I agree with Tourist that Wales are the most consistent team and look most capable of winning the WC from the northern hemisphere, with one big caveat - I din't think they can beat NZ. I think England are capable of it, and Ireland have done it, but those line breaks by England would be a >20 point win for NZ. Who knows though!

On 18 August 2019 at 23:12, Matt Defis said:

The yellow card was fair, Wales had a 2 man overlap, the only reason the try didn't come was because of Watsons knock on, that's why he got the yellow. 

Still number 1 in the world though. 

Watson's arm was raised because the laws say he has to have his arms wrapped around the opponent in a tackle. What is he meant to do with his arms?

The yellow card is meant for a clear and deliberate attempt to stop play progressing by slapping or knocking the ball downwards. And it doesn't matter how many people are overlapping.

There was an earlier penalty against England inside the 22 where the same thing happened, so why the different interpretation?

And why was there no penalty or yellow card against the Welsh player who jumped into an English player, or the Welsh player interfering on the ground inside the 22?

I think the replays make it look pretty clear that the arm is at a ‘look like I’m tackling but also blocking the ball’ angle. I’d completely forgotten about Biggar’s flying clothesline though, fuck knows how that was missed.

Really hoping Uncle Joe has one last bag of tricks up his sleeve. 

Not certain it'll matter, though. Ireland's gameplan is built on a precision that injuries, form and aging have stripped from us. It'll be black magic to out it together again in time. 

I expect we'll peak again circa 2022.

• Empathy 1

On 22/08/2019 at 17:20, merman said:

So the RFU changed the law, play cannot be restarted quickly until temporary replacements are fully on the field.

The world rugby board did that, the RFU is just Englands rugby board and have no control over the rules. 

Was hoping for better but I knew it could go either way with Wales fielding their 2nd string side. Wales were absolutely dominated for the first 60 minutes then when Patchell came on they woke up and controlled the last 20 minutes, I still thought they might rob Ireland at the end there. 

Congrats Ireland, you needed that one. 

• Upvote 1

the second string side didn't instill confidence.  England might reach the final yet based on what i've seen of everyone else so far..

But yeah, New Zealand will win it all again :(

While it's a relatively enjoyable time to be an England fan i'm not all that confident as I still think there is a pretty inconsistent streak in the team, at their very best (which is hopefully still to come) they could batter anyone, but at their worst they can concede easily and players lose their heads. All the best teams (in any sport) have a very high 'minimum' performance level and I think England are some way off of that. I'd say that Wales have a very high minimum performance level.

On the other hand you only have to get it right for a few games and Eddie Jones has got a shed load of experience in that regard (compared to England's last two world cups with rookies).

Yeeeeeeesh.

"Are we sure this is ok?"

"Yeah, it's fine - stick it up on the net"

"Might the Japanese not find it a bit......"

"Pshaw! We took out the big titty anime girls - what more do you want?"

What the fuck are ITV doing with their coverage?

They're all standing in a mock Japanese house so they're all in their socks and for some reason a rugby ball is being passed about between the suited pundits.