rllmuk
Rex Grossman

Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

I guess he is going to try to argue that his hate speech is not actually hate speech, but just a reflection of his religious views and you can't fire someone for having religious views. The frightening thing is that maybe that argument will fly in Australian courts, who knows?

If you espouse religious views publicly does that cross into another area that wouldnt be protected by religious freedom laws?

Maybe its not illegal as such but what he said is really something to be kept private. His lack of awareness is as criminal as what he said.

RFL stream to Twitch. Finally I can get a sport that has English commentary!

The 2yr-old loves it, too: "Big men!", "run!!", "Fall DOWNNN!!1", etc.

So many handling errors from Wales, just forcing that last pass one to many times, England looked great though, really aggressive and that drop goal was sublime. 

Congrats England, see you next weekend in Cardiff.

On 10 August 2019 at 12:04, Matt Defis said:

That red card at half time basically ended this game, Wales go top of the world rankings then. 

O RLY.

• Downvote 1

Smashing to see Mike brown dropped. Much as it would be better to have him on the pitch so his ridiculous douchebaggery would benefit England's opponents its glorious to see him dropped specifically for being such a prick.

Also just picked up some tickets for England USA in Kobe. Had been hoping there would still be some available for Ireland Japan but obviously not so gonna take a trip out to Kobe via the yamanashi wine cave while my folks are over. 

EXCITING.

• Upvote 1

Was at the game yesterday - excellent atmosphere and a really good game (it obviously helps when you win!). Wales just looked a bit under-cooked really, i'd be very surprised if the result is in anyway similar next weekend, depending on who plays anyway.

England's squad looks really interesting. Lot's of quality and flexibility in the pack but an all too obvious reliance on Billy Vunipola. Hoping Curry's injury is only minor as he has had a big impact since getting into the team and looked really sharp before going off against Wales. Some decent flexibility at wing/full back but 2 scrum halves and 2 fly halves (although I assume Slade can cover if required) is maybe a touch risky.

On their day i'd fancy England to outscore anyone but the defence is still too soft out wide at times and the discipline lacking. It will be interesting to see how well the Saracens players do when under pressure - they were immense at the end of the season, by all accounts the best team in Europe, but Farrell, Itoje and others have been key culprits when England came under pressure in the 6N and weren't able to respond. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve only seen the highlights but I thought England looked great. The bullied well, were aggressive and sharp. They’ve got some serious young talent that look ready for the highest class international games.

Wales will be disappointed, they wouldn’t normally expect to concede close to the line and at the fringes like they did. I also think their basics (kick offs, line-outs etc) have never been up to the level required. 

Next week could be very interesting.

On 11 August 2019 at 20:48, Matt Defis said:

For a day unofficially

In other words, Wales didn't become the number one ranked side.

Yeah they did, Saturday Wales moved ahead with 91.09 points and New Zealand moved to second with 89.04 then Wales slipped back down to second after they lost to England on Sunday, Wales could still move back to Number one if they win on Saturday against England.

On 14 August 2019 at 17:08, Matt Defis said:

Yeah they did, Saturday Wales moved ahead with 91.09 points and New Zealand moved to second with 89.04 then Wales slipped back down to second after they lost to England on Sunday, Wales could still move back to Number one if they win on Saturday against England.

Seeing as the official rankings weren't updated and released in the time between the New Zealand game and the first England-Wales game, then Wales did not OFFICIALLY go to number 1 in the rankings.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

23 hours ago, merman said:

Seeing as the official rankings weren't updated and released in the time between the New Zealand game and the first England-Wales game, then Wales did not OFFICIALLY go to number 1 in the rankings.

This isn't going to end well.

On 17 August 2019 at 17:56, Matt Defis said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-officially-become-number-one-16771317

Yes really.

That game went pretty much exactly how I thought it'd go.

Including Wales taking a quick penalty while England had a player injured and another leaving the field?

That was a bullshit yellow card and bullshit from the ref to let Wales play on.

Oh, and it's not sour grapes. If the roles were reversed, the Welsh would be chuntering on for years about "England cheating to win".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The yellow card was fair, Wales had a 2 man overlap, the only reason the try didn't come was because of Watsons knock on, that's why he got the yellow. 

Still number 1 in the world though. 

I think the margins between the top sides are so fine now that there will be a lot of ref-related sour grapes during the world cup. I also think Wales look like they are in the best position of all the northern hemisphere sides going into the world cup: England always seem capable of imploding and always seem to have it in them to revert to a big-man game that other sides find it easy to deal with; Ireland seem completely off the boil to me and their reliance on structured play seems a little out of step with the top sides; Scotland and France haven't shown much to suggest they'll suddenly turn into world-beaters in Japan.

But you only have to look at the results over the past couple of weekends to see that anything could happen in Japan.

So Fiji to win it, obviously.

• Upvote 1