rllmuk
Rex Grossman

Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

I never used to like Philips and would of had Peel infront of him everytime before the beginning of this season and the world cup disaster. He's progressed a lot in the last year or so and atleast he now looks at where he's passing the ball instead of blindly throwing the ball to wher he expects players to be.

Martyn Williams.

Yes, fair play. Had me there!

I just think that the physicality of Phillips is much needed in some games. He doesn't have the structure that Peel can put on a game and he's not quite as explosive from penalties etc but he's still got the makings of a great SH. In many ways the fact that he doesn't get games for his club regularly makes me think all the reason he should be in the wales squad. He's going to be world class and needs as much exposure as possible.

Anyway, enough talk about one player. Let's just hope that we see some fluidity from the team over the next couple of games. I want to see the forwards doing more donkey work against the Italians. We need to draw defenses in better before throwing it around the park.

I never used to like Philips and would of had Peel infront of him everytime before the beginning of this season and the world cup disaster. He's progressed a lot in the last year or so and atleast he now looks at where he's passing the ball instead of blindly throwing the ball to wher he expects players to be.

The day Philips accepted an Ospreys deal that would see him on the bench rather than starting games I lost faith in him. He can be better than Peel if, you're right, he uses his eyes. He tries to force things too much. Game not going quite well? Take a silly risk! Too often he wouldn't patiently wait for a mistake, he'd see a very slight opening, go for it, have no support and lose the ball. Peel plays more intelligently.

Yes, fair play. Had me there!

I just think that the physicality of Phillips is much needed in some games. He doesn't have the structure that Peel can put on a game and he's not quite as explosive from penalties etc but he's still got the makings of a great SH. In many ways the fact that he doesn't get games for his club regularly makes me think all the reason he should be in the wales squad. He's going to be world class and needs as much exposure as possible.

Anyway, enough talk about one player. Let's just hope that we see some fluidity from the team over the next couple of games. I want to see the forwards doing more donkey work against the Italians. We need to draw defenses in better before throwing it around the park.

And my Williams reply was within less than a minute!

I agree – forwards need to impose themselves on Italy. Big test. Italy kept pace with England.

And keeping him in will do what? He manages to take the team to a World Cup final, which from all accounts appears to have been driven far more by the players than himself and despite having a very similar team is now managing to make them play even worse. Maybe it was a touch reactionary, but somewhere in the management/coaching hierarchy there are obviously serious problems. Whether this is down to Ashton or not i don't know, but being the manager he is the one who will bare the brunt of all the failures.

Thompson was on the guardian podcast saying that the situation in the France world cup was the same as with Woodward - the senior players were making a lot of decisions. Exactly how successful does Ashton need to be? Takes us from nothing to the world cup final, and you think he's shit. Yes, well done. We've had a bad couple of days, so has wilkinson and half the team, would you sack them as well?

Thompson was on the guardian podcast saying that the situation in the France world cup was the same as with Woodward - the senior players were making a lot of decisions. Exactly how successful does Ashton need to be?

He could try beating the rubbish Wales team at home and beating Italy away by more than 4 points for a start.

Takes us from nothing to the world cup final, and you think he's shit. Yes, well done. We've had a bad couple of days, so has wilkinson and half the team, would you sack them as well?

And in the two game since the final? All i'm trying to say is that those (2/3) wins appear to be the exception rather than the rule. Also, how a team can play almost identically bad games twice in a row is beyond me. Players in bad form is one thing, players in excellent form for their league team and playing woeful for England is another. As I said before, something is fucked up, be it with the coaching, management or the bloody nutritionist and it needs to be sorted if we are to make any progress.

I'm going to celebrate by cooking some Super Stew.

I'm worrying about the French and Irish to be honest.

When I dream, I dream of leprechauns feasting upon a garlic buffet.

Are Arsenal a Welsh team now?

Here we go. Not that I need to justify my support to the likes of you, but I've been a massive supporter of Arsenal for 23 years now.

Please, do be quiet.

I'm worrying about the French and Irish to be honest.

Me, too. But I'm more confident because Wales seem to be brilliant in the second half of games. Can we put that down to Gatland? He does seem brilliant at retooling the team at halftime to exploit the weaknesses he spotted in the first 40 mins. If Wales are less than a score behind at half time against either Ireland or France, I'd really fancy their chances.

Who were you supporting when Newport County beat Cardiff the other night, Ben?

CCFC of course. Although I try to blank all FAW Premier Cup defeats from my mind. I'd love to see the County get back in the league. Most Cardiff fans are quite pro-Newport. It's all SE Wales, innit?

No, I do not.

So you only support England at club levels of sport? You could at least reflect this in your avatar.

Jesus, the FAW Premier Cup.

Is there a more prestigious football tournament in the world?

I think not. I think not.

Also, I used to go to school with one of County's B team.

He's a massive drug dealer on the side.

So you only support England at club levels of sport? You could at least reflect this in your avatar.

No, you've drawn an erroneous conclusion. You asked if I'd support England against Wales, which I would not. I'll support England as a home nation versus world + dog, though.

What I have as an avatar is entirely my prerogative, thanks all the same.

Does Gatland just threaten to kill them if they don't go out and win in the second half or something? Whatever he's doing at half time, it's worked three times now. It did help that Italy played worse to go with Wales playing well.

I also enjoyed the numerous fisticuffs!

Jesus, the FAW Premier Cup.

Is there a more prestigious football tournament in the world?

I think not. I think not.

Also, I used to go to school with one of County's B team.

He's a massive drug dealer on the side.

Reminds me of this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Jeanne

Played for Cardiff and Newport. His whole career was blighted by taking drugs. Should've stuck to selling them.

No, you've drawn an erroneous conclusion. You asked if I'd support England against Wales, which I would not. I'll support England as a home nation versus world + dog, though.

What I have as an avatar is entirely my prerogative, thanks all the same.

Would you support Arsenal against any Welsh clubs?

Welsh people: who do you want to win between England and France?

I suppose it would better if England won, but I wouldn't mind seeing France completely shitting on England, even if it is the fucking French.

So, err, my brain says England but my heart says France.

i had to watch the welsh game on mute . That welsh commentator is so negative about everything, am i the only one that he bugs ?.

Good win though against a lacklustre Italy side and now to beat the French.