rllmuk
Rex Grossman

Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

A strict reading of the rules says that's a yellow card, but anyone who's played rugby will say that's not even a penalty. It came about because of the momentum & direction of the two players involved in the tackle, and the fact he only managed to grab one leg. It is not the same, in any way as lifting and dropping/slamming a player, there was a clear example of that in the game.

Disallowed Welsh try - try or not?

As a Scot I can see we're in for another six nations of bullshit. I actualy beleved we might have a chance to do something considering how well Glasgow & Edinburgh have been playing, but not it's the usual litany of mistakes and a complete inability to finish, breaks with no support, no vision on the field...

Given the games this weekend I expect Italy to beat both Scotland & England.

Bradley Davies was an idiot for doing what he did and 7 weeks is nowhere near harsh enough.

The Ferris tackle according to the rules was a yellow card and a penalty however common sense has to come in somewhere, there was no intent he just hit him at an awkward angle and only got one leg, it was unfortunate nothing else and I think no penalty should have been awarded. There is a big problem though with tackles that I see as player, Tuesday night we were doing tackle drills where we're lying flat on are fronts and when the whistle blows you get up into a low stance hit the guy with the ball in his stomach and get hold of his legs and drive up into him to get him off the floor so he can be driven back to stop the other teams momentum. You're being taught to essentially lift the player and drive him backwards and to the ground and it's a very fine line between a good hard hitting legal tackle and a illegal tackle, the IRB needs to change the wording or make it much more clear what's good and what isn't.

Not looking forward to tonights training, we're off down to Parc Y Scarlets for a 9PM-11PM fitness session

He was an idiot for what he did. Then again though the rule itself is so open to interpretation its silly. The IRB need to make the game much clearer and simple. Scrums for example are a total mess (touch,Hold, pause, engage seems to be taken longer and longer). Rules about straight put ins aren't inforced. Referees no longer seem to award tries and always go to the TV replay (not such a bad thing though).

Well conditions in Rome look pretty bad. Game will go ahead but might as well replace the wingers with back row forwards for all the use they will be. Should still be interesting though, no chance of England playing an expansive game but I think they can force Italy to concede ground and penalties and we've got the far better set place kicker. I'll go for England by 5, although not with any great deal of confidence. Tonights game should be far better.

So who's excited about today? This could be amazing.

Could be amazing, could be dull as ditchwater. Both sides will kick away too much possession and rely on errors to gain ground or penalties.

England Ireland. Should be very physical.

The England new boys are on trial big time.

Personally I think that they are doing the right thing to build for the next world cup. England have the talent to do well next time there with the right management.

Excellent referreeing so far.

Apart from the first two penalty decisions.

That England scrum-half needs a haircut.

Feels a bit like the Wales-Ireland game - Wales look by far the better side but England have kept themselves in it.

Another good game!

(PS. That tackle on Farrell that lifted him off the ground - I honestly can't see how that is any different to the Irish tackle that was penalised at the end of the Wales-Ireland game)

So pretty much exactly like the Ireland game then. I don't think England can have any complaints really, but that was a try for them at the end and if I was an England fan I'd be a little bit peeved.

• Downvote 1

wheeeeeew. Not convinced that was a try at the end myself, but I think Wales could have had few complaints if it'd been a draw. Wonder how the difficult conversion would've gone, Farrell being injured by then.

• Upvote 1