IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

exactly

consider a family with 2-3 kids... all have DS' and all may be massive fans of these games... that's 3 purchases in a family compared to one on the big telly console...

and that's just a start.

It's a stupid argument.

Well, if there's 3 kids in the family and they all have DSs, I'm pretty sure they'll also have flash cards.

Right, so when Dragon Quest IX sold just as well on handheld as it has on all previous home console installments, that's just because it was either:

a) duh!, Dragon Quest, of course it's going to sell well.

B ) the portable effect.

So if in a few years time, Dragon Quest X fails to break 3.5 million units, we can all point and say:

"what did you expect, you can't compare handheld game sales to home console game sales, that's just daft".

What?

Dragon Quest X will be interesting because it will be the first in the series that hasn't been released on the biggest selling platform. Dragon Quest is also the most popular gaming series in Japan so quite frankly I wold expect it to sell on a fucking NES if they wanted to release it that way.

Monster Hunter is very similar to Pokemon as someone already pointed out, brilliantly suited to a handheld.

Three kids in my family, five DS's in total, not a single flashcart.

What was your point again? :(

Anecdotal evidence rules - I've got two DSes in the house, and no flashcart.

On the other hand, all my cousins kids have DSes with flashcarts.

People buying their own copies of games are mugs? Eh?

Three copies of the same game, definitely. Mugs. I doubt many people actually do that though. The only people I know (other than myself) who buy original DS games are people on this forum.

Three copies of the same game, definitely. Mugs. I doubt many people actually do that though. The only people I know (other than myself) who buy original DS games are people on this forum.

Three different people buying the same game to play on their own consoles at the same time are mugs?

I think the sales figures would indicate that quite a lot of people do buy original DS games.

Three different people buying the same game to play on their own consoles at the same time are mugs?

No, that's quite clearly not what I meant. :(

He's the mug if he buys the same game three times for his kids. People who buy multiple copies of the same game for their kids are mugs. If that isn't what you thought I meant, then you know now, because I just clarified it for you.

I think the sales figures would indicate that quite a lot of people do buy original DS games.

And? Do you have figures on how many people buy the same game more than once?

He's the mug if he buys the same game three times for his kids. People who buy multiple copies of the same game for their kids are mugs. If that isn't what you thought I meant, then you know now, because I just clarified it for you.

Same difference. His kids all have their own consoles and they want to play the same game at the same time. Big deal.

Same difference. His kids all have their own consoles and they want to play the same game at the same time. Big deal.

No. If they're kids, it's likely he'll be the one buying the games. Totally different. I know that if I had 3 kids, and they all wanted the same game, then I wouldn't buy the same game 3 times. Once, maybe, then R4 it for the others. I believe in supporting the industry, and generally don't advocate piracy, but buying the same game 3 times is just madness.

No, that's quite clearly not what I meant. :(

So you meant that one person buying their three kids a copy of a game each is radically different from three kids buying a game each for themselves? What about if he gives them the money to buy it for themselves, does that count as the kids buying them or the parent?

So you meant that one person buying their three kids a copy of a game each is radically different from three kids buying a game each for themselves? What about if he gives them the money to buy it for themselves, does that count as the kids buying them or the parent?

If the three kids want to do that, well, then that's another scenario. I am specifically talking about (as I previously clarified, but you seem to have willfully ignored) when one person buys the same game for three of their own kids.

I believe in supporting the industry, and generally don't advocate piracy, but buying the same game 3 times is just madness.

I don't follow your reasoning here. How far do you take it? What if you had six kids? Would you still only buy one copy of the game, or two? Where does support stop and muggishness start?

If the three kids want to do that, well, then that's another scenario. I am specifically talking about (as I previously clarified, but you seem to have willfully ignored) when one person buys the same game for three of their own kids.

I'm not willfully ignoring anything; I simply don't see the distinction you're making between someone paying for three games for their three kids (by buying them personally), and someone paying for three games for their three kids (by giving them money to buy them themselves).

I don't follow your reasoning here. How far do you take it? What if you had six kids? Would you still only buy one copy of the game, or two? Where does support stop and muggishness start?

Muggishness starts when you have more than one child and you buy more than one copy of the same game.

bcass would make a terrible dad. Luckily he seems like the kind of guy who's never going to have the opportunity.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Anyway, the kids would love it, the cash you save could be used to buy more games.

Not forgetting that kids in the same family are usually different ages, often different sexes and even have different interests and hobbies. I suspect that very few games are bought twice by the same family, even if the family consists 8 DS's and a gaming obsessed mother, father and a tribe of sextuplit children. A really mute point to want to discuss or argue the spots off if you ask me.

Not forgetting that kids in the same family are usually different ages, often different sexes and even have different interests and hobbies. I suspect that very few games are bought twice by the same family, even if the family consists 8 DS's and a gaming obsessed mother, father and a tribe of sextuplit children. A really mute point to want to discuss or argue the spots off if you ask me.

Multicart multiplayer games will be an exception to that. There are a few I've got two copies in my house of.

Indeed. It's not like MID has anything better to do though.

Muggishness starts when you have more than one child and you buy more than one copy of the same game.

And it stops when... you give them money and they buy three copies of the same game themselves? I just want to clarify the exact point, since you claimed the situations were totally different. The only difference I can see is that it transfers the muggishness from the parent to the kids, but both situations would still contain muggish behaviour by your rules.

And it stops when... you give them money and they buy three copies of the same game themselves? I just want to clarify the exact point, since you claimed the situations were totally different. The only difference I can see is that it transfers the muggishness from the parent to the kids, but both situations would still contain muggish behaviour by your rules.

The three kids can do what they want, I don't care. If they can't co-ordinate their game collection amongst themselves, then who cares? Seemingly only you.

Actually, I should have said "It doesn't really matter the original argument was". It's pretty stupid anyway, but not as stupid as this awesome 'mugs' debate.

Definitely made more awesome by your braindead contributions.