Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

Not at all.

I'm talking about the difference between us as an audience knowing that a more specific experience than Wii Golf is available, and being prepared to try it, and the "new audience" of Wii owners who have a whole different set of priorities with respect to what to spend their entertainment money on.

How did the Wii version of Tiger Woods 2010 compare to the 360 version?

ICO sold just over half a million copies.

see, my mate billy, right, he's a bit of a chav and he has a ps3 and he buys things like GTA and Cod. is he a 'core' gamer? Is he fuck as like. He thinks i am a massive nerd for buying Edge magazine. He is as casual as you can get. he would never have heard of ICO.

is there a game out there on the hd consoles that has done really well that isn't aimed squarely at billy? i don't think so.

And probably MW, on the Wii (which is an even more cheap ass inferior port) will eventually outsell Bayonetta....

Both took 10 weeks to hit 800k, but WaW managed to keep on selling... and eventually hit 1.4m. They both have exactly the same sales ratio, when comparing on VGChartz (spookily the same) which will probably mean MW will eventually sell around 1.5m....

Now, that's a game with absolutely fuck all marketing- it was released a year after the original, the majority of the marketing budget was spent on MW2 and yet it's still going to sell over 1m copies. How much did MW cost on the Wii to develop? 50p? (Seriously, I think the dev team was around 5-10 guys). So how much profit is that?

But never mind all of that... the fact that there was fuck all marketing,it was a year behind the HD consoles and it was a really cheap port will be forgotten (and yet it probably made a shit load of money for Activision) It will be the fact that it hasn't sold 5m+ copies compared to the HD sales that will be constantly brought up.

And certain portions of the industry has decided that that is the best way for them to make money from the wii...

Cheap ass inferior ports 12 months after the release with zero marketing spend....

Hoover up the sales available on the wii with minimum effort..... good business sense.

Does this mean the next COD game is going to lead on the Wii... dont think so... If they did would that game sell as many as on PS3 and 360? who knows...

But what the business DOES know is that they can flog 10million plus copies to the PS3/360 owners then 12 months later throw 50p at Treyarch and rake in another 1 million sales. The wii release has benefitted from the multi-million pound dev cost of the HD versions... if the HD versions did not exist or they led on the wii I thin kt he dev costs might be slightly higher for the wii version.

Different platforms support different business models

And certain portions of the industry has decided that that is the best way for them to make money from the wii...

Cheap ass inferior ports 12 months after the release with zero marketing spend....

Hoover up the sales available on the wii with minimum effort..... good business sense.

Does this mean the next COD game is going to lead on the Wii... dont think so... If they did would that game sell as many as on PS3 and 360? who knows...

But what the business DOES know is that they can flog 10million plus copies to the PS3/360 owners then 12 months later throw 50p at Treyarch and rake in another 1 million sales. The wii release has benefitted from the multi-million pound dev cost of the HD versions... if the HD versions did not exist or they led on the wii I thin kt he dev costs might be slightly higher for the wii version.

Different platforms support different business models

Captain Obvious in da house

Tiger Woods 10 sold 750,000 on the Wii and 500,000 on the 360.

Fucking hell, I didn't realise just how badly it was doing these days. Well, I don't know what EA would consider a "success" for the series now, but those figures don't seem great.

Even looking at Tiger Woods 09, it sold 1.3m on the Wii... more than the HD consoles combined... but as Clipper pointed out, it was a game that fitted the Wii well. There was some thought into the design and development of it on the Wii (plus it was a massive improvement over the previous year, instead of the usual year+1 updates).. and it sold very well. I wonder if Tiger Woods Fuckfest Orgy 11 will do any better?

But maybe that's the whole point of these sorts of threads (or the non-point)... most of us have absolutely no visibility on what a publisher would consider a success, or a failure. Maybe Tiger Woods is a series that only has large budget spend when a new gen of consoles are released, then it's smaller dev costs (and higher profit ratios)? Maybe 500k is considered a success with anything above it a huuuuge success? Who knows.. apart from EA...

is there a game out there on the hd consoles that has done really well that isn't aimed squarely at billy? i don't think so.

Er.... yes there is. Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls being two such games. But you could add any number of RPGs to that --> Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, FFXIII, FFIV, Resonance of Fate etc etc etc as well as games like Flower and Nobi Nobi Boy. Oh, and then there are games like the Last Guardian!

One of my biggest gripes with the wii is the lack of epic games on it - its not all about fragging each other on-line you know!

The industry has been moving in two opposite directions in recent years: towards greater accessibility with iPhone and Facebook stuff, and focusing on the traditional market with HD console stuff with high-end PC ports.

Nintendo's been stranded in the middle, with higher development costs than Web or iPhone development, but lower profits than HD game development. It's fallen victim to the same market disruption that it used on the industry.

The industry has been moving in two opposite directions in recent years: towards greater accessibility with iPhone and Facebook stuff, and focusing on the traditional market with HD console stuff with high-end PC ports.

Nintendo's been stranded in the middle, with higher development costs than Web or iPhone development, but lower profits than HD game development. It's fallen victim to the same market disruption that it used on the industry.

It's not all doom and gloom for Nintendo though.

It's not all doom and gloom for Nintendo though.

No, they could ride their current success for a while yet.

The problem they have is that they didn't go far enough, they're not going to reach as many people with a rather expensive console and peripherals in the evening as there are available on Facebook and mobile phones at school, or at work, or when travelling, or when at lunch, etc, throughout the day. And those people can buy content on impulse, for a couple of quid, this all adds up to the crazy fucking revenues that Farmville makes or whatever.

Although people on here mock the Wii's graphics, they're still well in advance of what the audience requires, I imagine they'd have much more success with a cheaparse console that can do 2D stuff well that's connected to an App Store or something: cheaper development costs, lots of choice, web enabled viral social networking 2.0 buzzwordy stuff crammed with microtransactions, get Zynga and co to put their semi-419 scam games on there and bingo.

No, they could ride their current success for a while yet.

The problem they have is that they didn't go far enough, they're not going to reach as many people with a rather expensive console and peripherals in the evening as there are available on Facebook and mobile phones at school, or at work, or when travelling, or when at lunch, etc, throughout the day.

Although people on here mock the Wii's graphics, they're still well in advance of what the audience requires, I imagine they'd have much more success with a cheaparse console that can do 2D stuff well that's connected to an App Store or something: cheaper development costs, lots of choice, web enabled viral social networking 2.0 buzzwordy stuff crammed with microtransactions, get Zynga and co to put their semi-419 scam games on there and bingo.

Nintendo need a portable device? I'll alert the media.

Where did I say portable? Oh, nowhere, it's Ramone and his strawmen again.
The problem they have is that they didn't go far enough, they're not going to reach as many people with a rather expensive console and peripherals in the evening as there are available on Facebook and mobile phones at school, or at work, or when travelling, or when at lunch, etc, throughout the day

How did the Wii version of Tiger Woods 2010 compare to the 360 version?

Not relevant. The idea was it was a specific piece of software, which would appeal to Wii owners, if:

1. They were interested in buying games.

2. They knew about them.

Tiger Woods had a number of advantages over other pieces of third party software last year - in particular it was quite heavily promoted as one of the launch titles for the Motion Plus, whereas the same couldn't be said of the 360 version selling into a smaller worldwide install base.

Right, so the geniuses of rllmuk have proposed that Nintendo turn around their current shitty performance this gen by releasing a non-portable console, connected to an App store, that competes against PCs (that everyone has at work) and iPhones (that are a phone).

basically, the new, wonderful Nintendo Non-Portable Massive Iphone With No Screen that is being pitched directly against the casual PC game market, in which pretty much every potential consumer already has a PC and can already play Farmville and all that shit without having to fork out for a new ugly box to stick under the TV and sit there playing like a mong, on their own, as opposed to playing Farmville at lunch at work or on the bus.

Not so much reminiscent of that bit where Homer designs a car as that bit where Alan Sugar reveals that shit 8-bit phone you can play Spectrum games on for about eight quid.

Captain Obvious in da house

Apologies but i really havent a fucking clue what point people are trying to make here then... it seems to be the same old names spouting paragraph after paragraph of "argument" which is all fecking obvious!

1) "hardcore" 3rd party games don't sell on wii?... Sort of true... they dont sell as many as nintendo games. However if you spend 50p on a half arsed port you'll reap a fair profit out of the wii market

2) "true" core games dont sell that well on either platform?... Fucking obvious because the "core" market of gamers who buy nobinobi boy, bayonetta, devil may cry, demons souls etc etc is a tiny proportion of the gaming market and it always has been

3) People should spend massive budgets and put weight behind "core" products on wii? Dumb...

and so on and so on....

Major publishers can't even get to grips with WiiWare (which would be the better comparison to Facebook/iPhone cheap and casual games), which is on a platform, with 60+m users that is primarily designed for games.

How are they going to get to grips with selling to people using a platform where gaming is probably 5th or 6th down the list of device priority, where the price point is way below what they're used to (99p!?!?), there's 35,000+ other competing applications on the same platform.. oh and it has a completely new method of control, with no obvious concession of the traditional control methods for games?

I can't wait to see these publishers fuck up that route to market as well. Let's just wait and see what the excuses are then.

Right, so the geniuses of rllmuk have proposed that Nintendo turn around their current shitty performance this gen by releasing a non-portable console, connected to an App store, that competes against PCs (that everyone has at work) and iPhones (that are a phone).

basically, the new, wonderful Nintendo Non-Portable Massive Iphone With No Screen that is being pitched directly against the casual PC game market, in which pretty much every potential consumer already has a PC and can already play Farmville and all that shit without having to fork out for a new ugly box to stick under the TV and sit there playing like a mong, on their own, as opposed to playing Farmville at lunch at work or on the bus.

Not so much reminiscent of that bit where Homer designs a car as that bit where Alan Sugar reveals that shit 8-bit phone you can play Spectrum games on for about eight quid.

Basically an iPad... but without the screen.

Or this..

sir-alan-sugar-amsface-gadget-0.jpg

Major publishers can't even get to grips with WiiWare (which would be the better comparison to Facebook/iPhone cheap and casual games), which is on a platform, with 60+m users that is primarily designed for games.

How are they going to get to grips with selling to people using a platform where gaming is probably 5th or 6th down the list of device priority, where the price point is way below what they're used to (99p!?!?), there's 35,000+ other competing applications on the same platform.. oh and it has a completely new method of control, with no obvious concession of the traditional control methods for games?

I can't wait to see these publishers fuck up that route to market as well. Let's just wait and see what the excuses are then.

Actually Wiiware is a pretty good example of what I'm proposing. They need a Wiiware console, like just a Wiiware console. That Malstrom fellow said something similar before running off to the land of loony libertarianism. Wii disrupted the market, it meant they were pretty much immune to people trying the same thing to them, but they themselves got disrupted by smaller, simpler, cheaper content elsewhere. They can't just copy that, they need to disrupt it.

Ultimately the ones who come out the worst are the HD waggle devices, which would have been good a couple of years ago, but will now likely end up being some form of also-ran alongside "proper" games.

Actually Wiiware is a pretty good example of what I'm proposing. They need a Wiiware console, like just a Wiiware console. .

Exactly, if I were the president of Nintendo, I'd be looking at the 20m+ sales of, say Mario Kart Wii, and thinking to myself "we have to think up a way to completely kill this revenue stream".

Oh my, people conflating market disruption for technology going backwards? Bet you thought the iPod would flop without all those features the other MP3 players had, yeah?

It's especially ironic considering how often Wii fans rebuke others for complaning about the Wii's old tech.

Exactly, if I were the president of Nintendo, I'd be looking at the 20m+ sales of, say Mario Kart Wii, and thinking to myself "we have to think up a way to completely kill this revenue stream".

This all comes back to oppurtunity cost again.