Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

1.1 million, actually.

1.099999 million of them on the 360.

I think you'll find that more have been sold on the PS3 actually (remember nobody owns 360's in Japan).

Going back to Ramone's point, I think Bayonetta is a fairly niche game on the 360 and PS3 to be honest (no space marines, no guns and no online shooting each other) and, viewed as a niche game, its done brilliantly I'd say and its still running. Muramasa is an equally niche game on the wii and that's sold what 200K worldwide!

So, Raymond, you're saying if TvC was a PS3 game, it would have sold a couple of million?

Chinny reckon.

I wouldnt have thought so, but this is the main problem, 3rd parties have been releasing niche titles on Wii expecting them to sell and when they dont they think there is no market for more traditional games, even though if they released the same titles on 360/PS3 the result would have likely have been the same. Good example would be the Conduit, if that had released on 360 or PS3 that would have bombed worse than it did on the Wii, same thing for stuff like Dead Space Extraction, Madworld and Darkside Chronicles. This gen Nintendo have pretty much stepped back to give 3rd parties a greater chance of success and still 3rd parties dont know what on earth to release. If a company had the balls to release a new entry in one of their big franchises which is an EXCLUSIVE for Wii and made from the ground up for that console it would be interesting to see how it would fare. SqaureEnix is doing it with Dragon Quest X but i cant think of any others.

I think you'll find that more have been sold on the PS3 actually (remember nobody owns 360's in Japan).

Going back to Ramone's point, I think Bayonetta is a fairly niche game on the 360 and PS3 to be honest (no space marines, no guns and no online shooting each other) and, viewed as a niche game, its done brilliantly I'd say and its still running. Muramasa is an equally niche game on the wii and that's sold what 200K worldwide!

Bayonetta is niche to an extent, but ultimately it's a game hyped up as being very similar to and from the creator of the multi-million selling Devil May Cry, and had a half-decent marketing budget. You can also buy it in Asda or Tesco if you want. Muramasa is a quirky 2D side-scroller which a lot of shops refused to stock and was probably shipped in very small quantities. There's really nothing equal about them.

To add in, looking at something like Bayonetta. It's very obvious heir to games such as Ninja Gaiden en DMC. Both which sold above one million copies.

Muramasa, which did something of around 200.000 units, is far more in line with a game like Odin Sphere(which sold 95.000 worldwide).

And Madworld heavily advertised? :lol:

Maybe for a third party Wii game. :lol:

@Ghost: Good point.

I wouldnt have thought so, but this is the main problem, 3rd parties have been releasing niche titles on Wii expecting them to sell and when they dont they think there is no market for more traditional games, even though if they released the same titles on 360/PS3 the result would have likely have been the same. Good example would be the Conduit, if that had released on 360 or PS3 that would have bombed worse than it did on the Wii, same thing for stuff like Dead Space Extraction, Madworld and Darkside Chronicles. This gen Nintendo have pretty much stepped back to give 3rd parties a greater chance of success and still 3rd parties dont know what on earth to release. If a company had the balls to release a new entry in one of their big franchises which is an EXCLUSIVE for Wii and made from the ground up for that console it would be interesting to see how it would fare. SqaureEnix is doing it with Dragon Quest X but i cant think of any others.

There's nothing "niche" about those games, The Conduit is a PS2 budget game released at full price and as a main part of the software lineup - Nintendo even published it, the rest are fairly uninspired brawlers or lightgun games.

It makes sense that niche stuff would sell on the platform with the largest install base, look at the PS2, some of the niche games on that would not have had success had they released on the Gamecube or Xbox. It is just that with the Wii, the traditional metrics (larger audience = better for niche games) have gone out of the window, and we're seeing that now with the developers support decreasing (larger audience = more developer support is another metric the Wii hasn't obeyed).

Anyway, it's not all "traditional" games that are being dropped, just "M-Rated" ones.

Muramasa is a quirky 2D side-scroller which a lot of shops refused to stock and was probably shipped in very small quantities. There's really nothing equal about them.

Yeah 2D side scrolling games will never sell on the wii :lol: :lol:

Bayonetta has sold 1.1million. That's 300,000 less than World at War on the Wii.

But it proves that core games don't sell on the Wii, because Madworld (edge 5/10) sold badly.

is this the World at War that sold a tenth of the copies that the HD consoles managed?

Why cant the two sides here accept the blatantly obvious about their respective "sides"

Nintendo has always and will ALWAYS be the dominant seller on their own consoles

Third parties have always and will ALWAYS make their money on the non-Nintendo consoles because they dont have to compete with the superb developer/publisher... Nintendo!

Go look at EVERY nintendo console and see who sold the most software units on them regardless of how popular the console was!

slide07-2_l.jpg

firstly the install base of HD consoles is similar to the Wii in total.. and if you look at that you can see that if a developer goes with the HD consoles thats 150 million possible sales according tot hat graph... If you go with the wii? 110 million.

Go and look at EVERY sales list ever for previous geenrations and the top ten on Nintendo consoles is almost exclusively Nintendo published/developed titles.

What are third parties looking for? a multi-million selling top ten hit... and which console are they more likely to get that on? Should they be looking for lower sales outside of top ten? probably, but that isnt how it seems to work!

If you release in on nintendo you have to go up against Nintendo titles and you will lose..

If you release on the HD consoles you dont have to compete with nintendo and you will have a greater chance of having a hit.

The sales lists for each generation should tell you all you need to know... If you want to play the latest Nintendo titles you own a Nintendo console... if you want to play the best that 3rd parties have to offer you buy one of the other offerings...

Nintendo's biggest problems is that they are too good. No-one makes software like Nintendo. No one even dares to compete with them.

They go to the platform that doesn't have Nintendo on it if they want to succeed.

Hey - just as well Nintendo didn't get out of the hardware race. If they decided to go multi-platform, no one else would dare release anything ever again!

Nintendo's biggest problems is that they are too good. No-one makes software like Nintendo. No one even dares to compete with them.

They go to the platform that doesn't have Nintendo on it if they want to succeed.

Hey - just as well Nintendo didn't get out of the hardware race. If they decided to go multi-platform, no one else would dare release anything ever again!

If nintendo made games in every single genre of videogsames to appeal to all demographics then the rest of the industry would struggle quite badly... Fortunately Nintendo ply their trade in certqin genre and demographics which leave room for a healthy industry to work in....

what suprises me is that experienced gamers on a gaming forum cannot see the blindingly obvious when it is in front of them.

look at the "playstation" generation... what was the best selling console? and which console did you HAVE to buy to play the best platformer? or best kart game?

or the PS2 generation... what was the worst selling console and why would buy one? Oh, to play thebest platformer of the generation...

If you wan to play Nintendo games you have to buy the nintendo console...

Competition from nintendos titles would be a big reason as well as:

* Combined installed base of pc, 360 and ps3 is bigger

* lack of power as some devs probably want to work with latest tech

* the online services offered are better and no storage limitations for the user, so you can make money with dlc

* less risk as market is easier to gage

* casual tat (shovel ware) is easier to make

You can't just reduce the issue to "competition from Nintendo". Or maybe I've just been bearded.

Of course they can.

A small number of Nintendo games hoover up the dollars of new purchasers, many of whom aren't going to buy much after purchasing Wii Fit/Sports Resort. The idea of the tie-in ratio is around for a reason.

Many of those purchasers aren't going to buy anything else, and they're even less likely to buy anything else if they next buy a copy of generic-shovelware-two because it has Party in the title. They're also never going to consider buying Dead Space Extraction.

My dad's getting quite into Tiger Woods 2010. Would he have gone out and bought it, despite the fact that I know, and I'm sure that EA's marketers would know, that he'd enjoy it? Not a chance in hell.

I don't believe this is as much an issue for third parties on the other consoles - there's not yet been the breakout hit that means people buy one of them as a Gran Turismo or Singstar machine.

If nintendo could made games in every single genre of videogsames to appeal to all demographics then the rest of the industry would struggle quite badly... Fortunately Nintendo can't ply their trade in certqin genre and demographics which leave room for a healthy industry to work in....

Fixed. Because if they could, they would.

You mean Bayonetta, a niche DMC clone, hasn't beaten the sales of part of the Call of Duty family? Really?

a cheap-ass lightgun game didn't beat the sales of re5? Really?

do you see?

and yet a cheap ass inferior port of a franchise game sold more than a Bayonetta.

From this we can take that true core games don't sell well on anything. Sin and Punishment won't sell well just as bayonetta didn't sell well. But mark my words, sin and punishment's sales have been and will be used as proof core games don't sell on the wii.

do you see?

In conclusion, games like CoD and Gta aren't actually hardcore. nobody will ever know if a good third party game will sell on the wii because nobody has made that game, and why would they? but saying there is no market for this type of game on the wii is just guessing. You can't say an RE5 game built for the Wii would not have sold well because an onrails lightgun version only sold 1.3million.

and nintendo don't make 18 rated games, i'm sure they could if they wanted.

My dad's getting quite into Tiger Woods 2010. Would he have gone out and bought it, despite the fact that I know, and I'm sure that EA's marketers would know, that he'd enjoy it? Not a chance in hell.

I mean, what's the chance of them going out and buying a games console, even though nintendo know they'd enjoy it? Not a chance in... oh shit. What you are talking about here is cack marketing as an excuse. Golf should be a particularly easy one to push, given the plethora of golf magazines, websites and tournaments.

Anyway, much nonsense talked. The dude above complaining that Nintendo had run out of idea sof motion sensitive controls because of Wii fit is an idiot; it's like complaining you can't think of things you can do with buttons, and that nintendo had a documented plan encompassing Wii Fit fromt he startis well known. There is a certain opportunity cost in developing for Wii versus the other machines, but given the lower dev costs and the high install base there is almost certainly money being left on the table.

In conclusion, games like CoD and Gta aren't actually hardcore. nobody will ever know if a good third party game will sell on the wii because nobody has made that game, and why would they? but saying there is no market for this type of game on the wii is just guessing. You can't say an RE5 game built for the Wii would not have sold well because an onrails lightgun version only sold 1.3million.

What about No More Heroes? Well reviewed 3rd party exclusive title. How did that sell?

and yet a cheap ass inferior port of a franchise game sold more than a Bayonetta.

And probably MW, on the Wii (which is an even more cheap ass inferior port) will eventually outsell Bayonetta....

Both took 10 weeks to hit 800k, but WaW managed to keep on selling... and eventually hit 1.4m. They both have exactly the same sales ratio, when comparing on VGChartz (spookily the same) which will probably mean MW will eventually sell around 1.5m....

Now, that's a game with absolutely fuck all marketing- it was released a year after the original, the majority of the marketing budget was spent on MW2 and yet it's still going to sell over 1m copies. How much did MW cost on the Wii to develop? 50p? (Seriously, I think the dev team was around 5-10 guys). So how much profit is that?

But never mind all of that... the fact that there was fuck all marketing,it was a year behind the HD consoles and it was a really cheap port will be forgotten (and yet it probably made a shit load of money for Activision) It will be the fact that it hasn't sold 5m+ copies compared to the HD sales that will be constantly brought up.

I mean, what's the chance of them going out and buying a games console, even though nintendo know they'd enjoy it? Not a chance in... oh shit. What you are talking about here is cack marketing as an excuse. Golf should be a particularly easy one to push, given the plethora of golf magazines, websites and tournaments.

Not at all.

I'm talking about the difference between us as an audience knowing that a more specific experience than Wii Golf is available, and being prepared to try it, and the "new audience" of Wii owners who have a whole different set of priorities with respect to what to spend their entertainment money on.