IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

I don't know why people create such an arbitrary split between online and local multiplayer when so many of the features of online multiplayer are designed to replicate local multiplayer: that's why there's voice chat, a party system and friends lists and cross game invites that make it as easy as possible to get together.

Local multiplayer's great fun, and good for families, but for people like us working on different schedules it's commonly inconvenient. Online is a way of replicating that local multiplayer experience and making it more available (plus you don't have to put up with a fraction of the TV screen).

Claiming that one is "more pure" than the other is ridiculous. Microsoft and Sony aren't focusing on online because "it forces people to buy more games" (insert PA Crystal Chronicles comic here) and Nintendo's stance isn't because they believe in some platonic ideal of fun - it's because they're catering to different demographics.

Nintendo Fanboy circa 2003: Who cares about sales figures. Gamecube is for hardcore gamers, PS2 is only for casual plebs who don't know any better than to enjoy Fifa.

Nintendo Fanboy circa 2010: Look at the sales! Wii is for cool casual people, 360/PS2 is only for hardcore shut-ins who don't know any better than to enjoy Gears of Bald Space Marines.

Nintendo Fanboy circa 2003: Who cares about sales figures. Gamecube is for hardcore gamers, PS2 is only for casual plebs who don't know any better than to enjoy Fifa.

Nintendo Fanboy circa 2010: Look at the sales! Wii is for cool casual people, 360/PS2 is only for hardcore shut-ins who don't know any better than to enjoy Gears of Bald Space Marines.

EmperorPalpatine.jpg

I don't know why people create such an arbitrary split between online and local multiplayer when so many of the features of online multiplayer are designed to replicate local multiplayer: that's why there's voice chat, a party system and friends lists and cross game invites that make it as easy as possible to get together.

Local multiplayer's great fun, and good for families, but for people like us working on different schedules it's commonly inconvenient. Online is a way of replicating that local multiplayer experience and making it more available (plus you don't have to put up with a fraction of the TV screen).

Claiming that one is "more pure" than the other is ridiculous. Microsoft and Sony aren't focusing on online because "it forces people to buy more games" (insert PA Crystal Chronicles comic here) and Nintendo's stance isn't because they believe in some platonic ideal of fun - it's because they're catering to different demographics.

I certainly don't think one is more pure. But there is clearly a stark difference between the two and that's why they appeal. I was just saying that it's interesting just how much local play has been eclipsed on the HD consoles when it's clearly one of the most appealing elements of the Wii in terms of mass appeal. Most people like playing together. And it's not just families. It's also certainly not for a platonic idea of fun, as you say - it's the cornerstone of the Wii's advertising campaign.

For me, realistically, it's not possible to play with friends in the same room very often and so I make do with Live. However, given the choice between the two, I'd pick being in the room every time. It's a lot more social, but Live is certainly better than just playing entirely on my own.

Shamelessly ripped from eurogamer, apologies if this news has already been reported in this thread...I couldnt see it.

Xbox 360 sales down 13% year-on-year

Microsoft has announced its financial results for the last three months of 2009, revealing a drop in sales of Xbox 360 units.

The company shifted 5.2 million machines during the quarter, down 13 per cent year-on-year. Revenues for the Entertainment and Devices Division dropped from $3.26 billion to $2.9 billion.

However, more Elite and special edition Xbox 360s were shifted than in previous years, according to Kotaku. That helped the division enjoy a whopping rise in operating income from $130 million in 2008 to $375 million.

There was a 35 per cent rise in the number of Xbox Live account holders, bringing the number of people subscribed to the service to 23 million. The software attach rate for Xbox 360 was down, though.

Microsoft's probably not too worried, having racked up overall revenues of $19.02 billion - a new record. It might be something to do with the fact 60 million licences for Windows 7 were sold during the quarter, making it the fastest-selling operating system in history.

It's not, unless they've had a massive increase in the number of people moving from silver to gold accounts in the last year. It was 17 million gold and silver account a year ago, and I think it was just a little over half that which were gold accounts but I'm not sure if that was ever properly confirmed.

So Sony have posted their Q3 results, and they managed to shift 6.5 million PS3's in the last quarter, bringing their worldwide total up to 33.5 million. Not a bad figure, and it puts them in spitting distance of 360's 39 million figure, which was announced at CES.

Source

However, more Elite and special edition Xbox 360s were shifted than in previous years, according to Kotaku. That helped the division enjoy a whopping rise in operating income from $130 million in 2008 to $375 million.

Surely some of that has to be software sales related then? Or is it just "less provision made for RROD"?

So Sony have posted their Q3 results, and they managed to shift 6.5 million PS3's in the last quarter, bringing their worldwide total up to 33.5 million. Not a bad figure, and it puts them in spitting distance of 360's 39 million figure, which was announced at CES.

Source

Hasn't that been the same since it launched, though. They haven't actually caught up at all.

Hasn't that been the same since it launched, though. They haven't actually caught up at all.

Oh no, they were much further behind last year. I think to the tune of 8 million, and of course they started with a 10million disadvantage so they're (albeit sporadically) making ground.

Oh no, they were much further behind last year. I think to the tune of 8 million, and of course they started with a 10million disadvantage so they're (albeit sporadically) making ground.

If you check through the thread, they've been this close before and then dropped back again.

A survey of 800 videogame developers showed that support for iPhone games is growing, while dedication to the Wii is dropping off.

The Game Developer magazine study released Friday showed major growth in the mobile space, due partly to Apple’s iPhone. 25 percent of all game developers said they were creating content for mobile phones — that’s nearly double last year’s number. Nearly 75 percent of mobile devs supported iPhone, doubling the numbers who stood up to be counted as developers for the Nintendo DS and PSP.

Meanwhile, developer support for the Wii dropped. Only 30 percent of console developers claimed to be working on Wii games. Last year as many as 42 percent had Wii product in the works.

The State of Game Development survey polled over 800 game designers, readers of the magazine and the website Gamasutra, plus attendees of the Game Developers Conference. The complete results of the poll are available as a 100-page report from Game Developer Research.

More details from the survey will be published in the February 2010 issue of Game Developer

Source

The Wii/third party situation really is too absurd for words. In a year where the Wii has managed to out-sell both of its hardware rivals combined, devs respond by pulling away from the platform. :unsure:

I mean I know the situation isn't as black and white as that, and if you're games just don't sell on the platform, whatchagonnado, but to see it written down like that just looks proper strange.

Although the PlayStation 3 Slim has prompted a resurgence in Sony’s home console business, prompting 10.8 million PS3 sales in just nine months, the console is still losing money for the company. At least, the console’s hardware is losing money, since software sales turn this into a profit. However, this hardware loss is nowhere near as significant a loss as it used to be.

Following the console’s price-cut to $299 in the US and the release of the revised hardware with the PS3 Slim, Sony has been able to reduce it’s loss to approximately $18 on each console (perhaps lower due to sold to retailer cost) sold in the US. Although it’s harder to work out in the UK with 17.5 per cent VAT to think about, with the higher price and the current dollar-to-pound exchange rate, it wouldn’t be out of the question to suggest that the console is turning a profit in Britain.

This piece of information is found within an interview with Sony’s Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda, who explained that the company expects to continue reducing the production costs of the PS3 by 15 per cent by March 31st 2011, which is expected to result in “tens of billions of yen.” It was then revealed that Sony loses approximately six cents for every dollar of PS3 hardware sales, or $18 for every $299 console sold in the States.

iSuppli (the guys who tot up the value of each component and labour, etc) said it was around $36 loss when the PS3 Slim launched. That's certainly less than expected and faster too, but at this point the PS3 has lost significantly more money than the original Xbox while coming on the heels of the biggest success ever. It can't ever hope to break even.

EDIT: Also, unsurprisingly, FFXIV is coming to 360. I posted it in the FFXIV thread, but that's not exactly high traffic.

The Wii/third party situation really is too absurd for words. In a year where the Wii has managed to out-sell both of its hardware rivals combined, devs respond by pulling away from the platform. :unsure:

I mean I know the situation isn't as black and white as that, and if you're games just don't sell on the platform, whatchagonnado, but to see it written down like that just looks proper strange.

it shows a lack of imagination from 3rd parties... their software often tends to be 'me too' type games or just far too hardcore.

the wii has also lost the core crowd to the point of regardless of how good a game is on the thing, they're not interested in playing it - there's enough ace games on their 360/PS3 to play... so why bother?

Only Nintendo had the KAY JONES to do a 2D side scrolling platform game at full price and make it their big Christmas release. No other developer would dare to do that.

it's also a spiral - producers see 3rd party games not doing well, so marketing spend is determined based on expected return... good games aren't pushed in any way, so they ship low numbers, become hard to get and no one knows about them and... guess what, they don't sell and that justifies their decision and continues the downward trend.

I suspect UbiSoft will throw RedSteel 2 out to die - which would be a real shame as it looks excellent and the team behind it have real passion for what they're doing.

To be fair, Sega is probably the only other company who could get away with that.

Naughty Dog could've done it too I reckon...

Sega are only doing it now because of the success of NSMBWii - and even then, they're making it a download game and episodic.

still lacking in the KAY JONES