Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

You wish.

NST is Nintendo as it's one of their companies under their umbrella

They aren't the real Nintendo. You know, the Nintendo that used to make all those great games.

Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons, not made by EADS either.

That's why they're shit, compared to the proper Nintendo Zeldas.

Smash Bros Brawl, not made by EADS, but does anyone go "it's rubbish because it's not made by Nintendo"?

Smash Bros. has always been rubbish, regardless of who it's made by.

The PlayStation 3 has now sold over 3 million units here in the UK.

That means there's been a significant leap of 800,000 units since July 2009, when the console had reached 2.2 million sales.

But there's still catching up to do, as early last December the Wii had sold six million units in the UK and, as of last July, the Xbox 360 had sold 3.9 million units.

Worldwide sales of the PlayStation 3 are now at 27 million, according to Sony's business-time website.

Microsoft said at CES earlier this month that the Xbox 360 has passed 39 million sales worldwide, while the Wii has sold over 56 million units globally.

Alexey Whatshisface must be furious that the Soviet Regime made him sign those rights away!!!! I bet he wishes that it was Hatris that had sold 100m ;-)

He owns at least some of the rights, as he is involved in The Tetris Company, managed by Henk Rogers, that all versions must go through. He will have received money from those sales, even if it was just from the original license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tetris_Company

I guess Reggie won that bet then? Well done, mario still has dah power

He ain't in the clear yet (unless he was referring to beating the PC or PS3 version of Modern Warfare 2 in the US by the end of January). If Reggie was comparing NSMBW to MW2 on the X360, the odds are still that he will lose that bet (that's what Geoff Keighley's still claiming).

He ain't in the clear yet (unless he was referring to beating the PC or PS3 version of Modern Warfare 2 in the US by the end of January). If Reggie was comparing NSMBW to MW2 on the X360, the odds are still that he will lose that bet (that's what Geoff Keighley's still claiming).

What's extraordinary is that the bet is really only valuable as a way for 360 fanboys to squeeze some kind of comparative win out of it all (obviously the fact that MW2 sold huge numbers should be enough in itself). NSMB Wii is clearly going to outsell it by a huge amount on combined formats. It's an extraordinary performance for any game, and a real reminder of the value placed on accessibility and local multiplayer by the Wii demographic, something that's always ignored by Sony and MS in promoting their consoles at the expense of online, but which has been the basis of all Nintendo ads since the beginning of this generation.

What's extraordinary is that the bet is really only valuable as a way for 360 fanboys to squeeze some kind of comparative win out of it all (obviously the fact that MW2 sold huge numbers should be enough in itself). NSMB Wii is clearly going to outsell it by a huge amount on combined formats. It's an extraordinary performance for any game, and a real reminder of the value placed on accessibility and local multiplayer by the Wii demographic, something that's always ignored by Sony and MS in promoting their consoles at the expense of online, but which has been the basis of all Nintendo ads since the beginning of this generation.

This is actually a very good point, when Nintendo said that they weren't going to bother with online properly yet, there was much lolling into cabbages from us gamers that have been playing for a while (and probably MS and Sony to a degree too) but they have proven the power and appeal of local multiplayer to some sort of ridiculous degree.

Who would have thought they'd ever get their parents or grannies or whoever the fuck to play games with them?

It's quite weird because this generation the 360 reverted to only two controller ports on the front of their console too... I know you can do wireless but it's a bit odd, the PS2 only had two ports as well didn't it?

It's odd that all the split screen shenanigans stopped for one reason or another, I was first to admit, when playing goldeneye back in the day, that it was a lot better in terms of viewable screen and whatnot to play in a LAN in a net cafe or something like that. To be honest, the appeal and general experience of 4 people sat on the sofa together is still far bigger than the headsets and what have you, without a doubt. It's just that you hardly ever have 4 360/ PS3's and tellies all set up in the same room to experience that same thing.

I wonder if they will attempt more local multiplayer stuff with Natal and the Arc but from the Natal vids it's mainly been 1P experiences... strange really.

When I was at Uni we used to spend hours and hours sat in a sofa, drinking beer, eating crisps, and playing Goldeneye, Mario Kart, and Mario Golf all night. It really was fantastic fun. These days, I live with the girlfriend and 90% of my multi-player gaming is online. It's good fun but it really isn't the same. Sometimes it can even feel a little bit lonely sat on your own in the house talking into the microphone.

Both methods have their advantages but I still think playing with friends in the room is more fun. Especially one on one games like FIFA where you can see their face! :)

It's quite weird because this generation the 360 reverted to only two controller ports on the front of their console too... I know you can do wireless but it's a bit odd, the PS2 only had two ports as well didn't it?

I agree with most of your post - local multiplayer has been ignored for a lot of HD games - but there's no ports on the Wii for plugging in Wiimotes, and I suspect you'd find it hard to purchase a Gamecube controller from the likes of Game to plug into the top.

Each and every 360 comes with a wireless controller, and there's three USB sockets to attach wired controllers to.

Similarly, each and every PS3 comes with a wireless controller, and there's sufficient USB sockets to attach wires to there as well (this may not be true of the newer versions - but there's 4 on the old 60GB).

So I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

I agree with most of your post - local multiplayer has been ignored for a lot of HD games - but there's no ports on the Wii for plugging in Wiimotes, and I suspect you'd find it hard to purchase a Gamecube controller from the likes of Game to plug into the top.

Each and every 360 comes with a wireless controller, and there's three USB sockets to attach wired controllers to.

Similarly, each and every PS3 comes with a wireless controller, and there's sufficient USB sockets to attach wires to there as well (this may not be true of the newer versions - but there's 4 on the old 60GB).

So I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

You don't plug in Wiimotes in the first place, they're all wireless, you can't even get a wired one (or can you?) so that's not an option.

My original 360 came with a wired controller, so therefore that took up a port straight away and for most people, the one at the back is a pain in the arse to realistically use for a controller (or it's got an overpriced wireless dongle plugged into it). Also 3rd party cheaper controllers (which you might buy so your mates can play) will predominantly be wired too.

I admittedly didn't know how many ports there were on a PS3 but in general terms, in comparison to the N64, cube, DC and original Xbox, which had 4 displayed proudly on the front, the consoles themselves (aside from the Wii, for some reason - possibly just the marketing, although I do take your point about lack of ports) have seemed to have moved away from even encouraging 4 player. Are the PS3 ports all on the front and quite obvious?

All the official PS3 pads are wireless, and you can have up to 7, I think. The newer models might only have 2 USB ports (both clearly on the front) but there's nothing to stop you using a hub and plugging loads of third-party wired pads in (presumably up to 7.) I don't know if there's any games on PS3 where 7 pads would be usable.

The number of ports on the front of a PS3 is something of a moot point since Sony don't offer a wired controller officially. Admittedly if you end up with four uncharged pads and fancy a split-screen session you're in a spot of bother but I'd imagine that doesn't happen terribly often :lol:

More prohibitive is the actual cost of forking out for extra controllers. It's still around £40 for a new Dual Shock 3 in the likes of Game and £32-35 for a 360 pad. Of course you can shop around a bit but there's a good chance anyone who only got the one pad with their system will have to fork over the best part of £100 to bring their total up to four. Prices aren't vastly better for Wii, of course, particularly when you factor in a nunchuk and Motionplus but a couple of popular first party titles come bundled with a remote and most retailers are savvy enough to include a couple with any decent console bundle.

There is one glaring upside to pushing online multiplayer, every player needs to buy their own copy of a game and a console (and online subscription for the leading online console) to actually play multiplayer, while local splitscreen potentially removes several sales by comparison, so which is preferable from a corporate POV? :lol:

There is one glaring upside to pushing online multiplayer, every player needs to buy their own copy of a game and a console (and online subscription for the leading online console) to actually play multiplayer, while local splitscreen potentially removes several sales by comparison, so which is preferable from a corporate POV? ;)

The ones that sell the most.... :lol:

There is one glaring upside to pushing online multiplayer, every player needs to buy their own copy of a game and a console (and online subscription for the leading online console) to actually play multiplayer, while local splitscreen potentially removes several sales by comparison, so which is preferable from a corporate POV? :lol:

I don't know. How many did NSMBW sell again?

Oh, ;)

Except that good experiences of local multiplayer also lead to others buying a console and software too...

Except that good experiences of local multiplayer also lead to others buying a console and software too...

Which is obviously why the entire games industry is following Nintendo's lead and putting the emphasis on local multiplayer gaming, oh wait.......

Which is obviously why the entire games industry is following Nintendo's lead and putting the emphasis on local multiplayer gaming, oh wait.......

Well, that would be a zinger if the other two platforms weren't being massively outsold...