IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

Its often implied on this thread that the best consoles/games are those that sell the most. So Ramone will always trot out some blurb on the fantastic continuing success of the wii based on sales of this that and the other (to be fair he's doing this on a sales thread) and others will point out Modern Warfare 2, Halo 3 or whatever in return. And Boyatsea will dig up those oh so very interesting stats of the sales of consoles in Canada :lol:

If you go to VGcharts though and rank games on each console by their (VGchartz) review rating, you get some interesting results. The second best game on the wii according to VGchartz? Metroid Prime Trilogy with 430,000 wordwide sales. The 10th best? Little King's Story with 150,000. RE4 7th with 1.67 million. On the PS3 Valkyria Chronicles is ranked second with 810,000 sales and GRID 4th with 550,000. On the 360 Halo 3 is only ranked 17th best but with worldwide sales of 10.73 million. So lets not lose sight of the fact that sales aren't the be all and end all.

By the way VGchartz were plucked at random because they easily can list this stuff - I suspect though that you'd get the same answers whoevers reviews you used (even Edge's ;))

As you correctly say this is the sales thread and not the review thread so only a moron would post what you have. In fact I don't actually know what you were trying to say.

Reviews schmeviews.

Hey, whats with you and Ramone? I wasn't making an anti wii comment so you both can relax :lol:. I was trying to make a general point that huge sales numbers aren't always an indication of games that you or I would like to play.

Jeez

IGN *really* hate the Wii now. It was obvious that Matt moved on because he didn't want to work on the Wii channel - and over the last month or so, they've been publishing really badly written 'editorials' criticising the Wii in some shape or form... but mostly NSMBWii - they just keep getting torn into it. They're simply annoyed it's selling so well and it's quite funny to watch.

It's as though a million hardcore gamers cried out in terror and were suddenly silence.

here's their latest:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/106/1061550p1.html

(IGN UK gave the game 9.4)

pfffttt... IGN's turned into a real bag of shite in the past couple of years. That new "redesign" it went through just made it even worse. I have no idea what IGN wants to be these days, with all of the TV, sport and movie gubbins that's on it. It feels too much like an American teen version of FHM. Except really poorly written.

It was good in the days of the N64 and Dreamcast, but now it's impossible to navigate and they just seem to be resorting to poorly written editorial rants to try and generate web traffic.

Interesting read. It almost seems obvious in hindsight - the Wii managed to do huge numbers before anyone had even played one, and now that most people have, the combination of what is effectively a hefty price cut (the Wal-Mart promotion), unrestrained supply, and evergreen titles like Sports Resort, NSMBW and Mario Kart makes it the ultimate 'safe' buy.

BTW, Jesse Divnich is the clownshoe who thought the PS3's price cut had less impact on sales than the change of their marketing message. He's full of shit in ways Pachter can only dream of.

His comment on the effectiveness of sequels is meaningless waffle using highly selective examples. If a game becomes part of a trend/phenomenon (e.g. Brain Age, Guitar Hero), obviously the original is going to massively outsell any sequel that comes out after the craze has passed. Conversely, a sequel that is a massive overhaul rather than a quick cash-in (e.g. Uncharted2) is going to break out from only selling to people who liked the first one.

And for god's sake, they've been making Mario Kart (and the main series Mario games) using the 'evergreen' strategy since the SNES days. This isn't 'analysis', unless you find the sun rising in the morning a surprise.

He also skips over the sequels that Nintendo do actually release within a generation - More Brain Training; Maths Training etc. on the DS (to cash in on the craze); Primes 1, 2, 3 on the GC; even Multiple Zeldas on the DS within the last few years, and two on the GC/Wii.

If he'd stated that the iconic games - effectively Mario Kart, SMB - don't tend to get sequels simply because they're iconic.

And because they're iconic, and supported by Nintendo's marketing, they remain in stock.

Another interesting question that it poses - would a Wii Sequel to Super Mario Kart actually sell an increment on top of the ongoing sales: i.e. to everyone now picking up a Wii, and to a subset of those who already own the original?

pfffttt... IGN's turned into a real bag of shite in the past couple of years. That new "redesign" it went through just made it even worse. I have no idea what IGN wants to be these days, with all of the TV, sport and movie gubbins that's on it. It feels too much like an American teen version of FHM. Except really poorly written.

It was good in the days of the N64 and Dreamcast, but now it's impossible to navigate and they just seem to be resorting to poorly written editorial rants to try and generate web traffic.

This is perhaps one of the worst articles I have ever read.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/105/1054621p1.html

I mean, why would you knock Wii Sports for not having complex geometry or textures? Or slag off Wii Play and say they only got away with it because it was bundled with a controller? Surely that was the point of the title. 9 simple games for an extra fiver to get people used to using the Wiimote in different ways.

What a cack of wank.

He also skips over the sequels that Nintendo do actually release within a generation - More Brain Training; Maths Training etc. on the DS (to cash in on the craze); Primes 1, 2, 3 on the GC; even Multiple Zeldas on the DS within the last few years, and two on the GC/Wii.

If he'd stated that the iconic games - effectively Mario Kart, SMB - don't tend to get sequels simply because they're iconic.

And because they're iconic, and supported by Nintendo's marketing, they remain in stock.

Another interesting question that it poses - would a Wii Sequel to Super Mario Kart actually sell an increment on top of the ongoing sales: i.e. to everyone now picking up a Wii, and to a subset of those who already own the original?

Prime 3 was on the Wii.

It's not typical output, though. Anyone not living in a fucking cave would know that much.

Oh yeah I forgot that to some people DS:E is actually a 'quality' title so its untypical of third party output if you accept that premise.

However I'd be interested to learn how its so very different to so many other shooters (whether 1st person or on rails) that sell so well to HD fetishists. Maybe I was too harsh and should have played further than wherever it was I did (again its clearly a dull game if I cant even remember what point I stopped, but think it was shortly after we'd tried to head for some military rendezvous shuttle only to see it shot down and then the group hatched some plan to find some alternative rockt/vehicle to escape in)

Well we'll find out (in terms of the more traditional Nintendo series without such massive sales at least) when the sequels to Zelda Wii and Super Mario Galaxy get released within the next 2 years. Will they spur total sales of that particular series or will they do what other sequelised titles have done on the system.

Well we'll find out (in terms of the more traditional Nintendo series without such massive sales at least) when the sequels to Zelda Wii and Super Mario Galaxy get released within the next 2 years. Will they spur total sales of that particular series or will they do what other sequelised titles have done on the system.

Maybe the point is that both of those titles are no longer selling any significant numbers- so a sequel won't do any damage to the sales of the original. However, if they released another Mario Kart- it would probably have a massive affect on the sales of the current titles, which is still doing quite well (see Wii Fit as an example).

They would probably look into getting another Mario Kart out, once the sales of the original has tailed off (although I have no idea when that would be). But it did make me think about it- Nintendo have done quite a good job in getting some longevity into the title. As much as they are ridiculed for their online strategy, they just about got it right for Mario Kart. Still lots of people playing online, and more importantly new tournaments every couple of weeks or so to keep people interested in it. You can't really do that with Zelda or SMG, so they fit into the sequel approach.

The theory posited by the long article posted on the previous page suggested sequels on the whole generally underperform against their prequels on the Wii/DS.

The author cited Wii Fit/Mario Kart as examples of games which continued to sell to new owners and in the case of Wii Fit+ (an expansion pack basically), this helped to boost sales of the series at minimal development cost to Nintendo.

footle asked whether this would be the case for a hypothetical Mario Kart sequel, while we'll never know if that is the case for that particular game (unless Nintendo break the precedent of 1 Mario Kart per system), Nintendo are releasing sequels to their 2 most long running series which have already had successful games on the Wii, will they perform like nearly all the examples cited in the article or will they do like the best selling Wii games? We'll find out in the near future.

Oh yeah I forgot that to some people DS:E is actually a 'quality' title so its untypical of third party output if you accept that premise.

However I'd be interested to learn how its so very different to so many other shooters (whether 1st person or on rails) that sell so well to HD fetishists. Maybe I was too harsh and should have played further than wherever it was I did (again its clearly a dull game if I cant even remember what point I stopped, but think it was shortly after we'd tried to head for some military rendezvous shuttle only to see it shot down and then the group hatched some plan to find some alternative rockt/vehicle to escape in)

I don't know where you're coming from now. I personally don't rate DS:E whatsoever.

isn't it quite amazing that - in 2009 - the biggest selling game in Christmas month is a 2D platformer?

Who would've thought eh?

At this point ninty could repackage a shit and slap on wii at the end and people will lap it up. Not that i think its a bad game its the only wii game i bought last year, its fab just the way people buy things on wii nothing suprises me. I mean did just dance beat out mw2 last week in the uk charts, ive had to crawl all over the net finding that for famliy members at its been sold out all over town. JUST FUCKING DANCE MAN. :omg:

Yea, by Wii standards it wasn't the biggest hit ever (2.7 million according to VGchartz) but when you compare that to 2.7 million for Uncharted on PS3 and 2.4 million for Bioshock on 360, two releases considered massive hits, you realise that Nintendo are just dominating at the moment.

Yea, by Wii standards it wasn't the biggest hit ever (2.7 million according to VGchartz) but when you compare that to 2.7 million for Uncharted on PS3 and 2.4 million for Bioshock on 360, two releases considered massive hits, you realise that Nintendo are just dominating at the moment.

holy moly - Wii Music outsold Bioshock on the 360!!!

LOL

no wonder IGN hate the Wii so much.

holy moly - Wii Music outsold Bioshock on the 360!!!

LOL

no wonder IGN hate the Wii so much.

But rather than that merely demonstrating the success of Nintendo, it also admirably demonstrates why so many on the forum lost faith with Nintendo at the time. Things are looking better now but the stuff they came out with in 2008 totally becalmed my wii to a dead stop for a long while. Animal Crossing and Wii Music may have sold 5 million between them, who knows, but in the process Nintendo successfully disassociated themselves with many of their hardcore fans and some terminal damage was done I'm sure.

I'm no fan of Bioshock - but had always considered Wii Music a Nintendo curio that didn't do particularly well. I really enjoy it - but it's not a game.

I still struggle with the 'lost faith' kind of thing - why would you expect *every* Nintendo game made to be just for you. That's like expecting everything Disney produces to be for fans of The Incredibles. Nintendo have a wide market to keep happy - their problem is that they can't create games fast enough. I admit. 2008 was a disappointment - although this year is going to be ace.