Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

My Elite is as quiet (perhaps even quieter) as my PS3, until you load a disk, then it turns into a sodding fighter jet. I for one cannot wait for the Autumn firmware update.

And how often is the drive not spinning?

Hold that question until after the upcoming firmware update. :)

Its the fan noise as much as drive noise

Who cares what it is, the damn things louder than my PC which is something else. I really hope this install update means I can play games and not have to listen to what can only be described as a jet engine. :)

I assumed that the PS3 would inherit the PS2's range of such games, but it seems the difficulty of programming the PS3 changed the developers focus.

More like bundles of cash for exclusivity deals to boost 360 sales figures in Japan and the fact you can still produce multi-million selling RPG's for PS2 and DS for peanuts.

I imagine that the only RPG's that will remain exclusive are ones actually published by Microsoft, otherwise publishers will be missing out on their target audience (teenage Japanese) and the majority of sales in Asia.

lol

I guess you have never heard a desktop PC CD/DVD drive spinning at full speed, they sound exactly like a 360 running a game.

Except the disc isn't always spinning at full speed, but the noise level doesn't change. I'm not saying the disc drive doesn't make a noise, but its not alone

You are wrong, deal with it.

Constantly spinning the the drive up and down would be immediately noticeable, and would also hammer access times. On an additional note, dodgy drive firmware that changes the drive speed, does it make the machine quieter or not?

Sigh, The dvd drive is kicking in the fans. Surely this is obvious? As soon as you run anything on disc the fans kick in at full pelt. I have a recent model too, so it's not anything that has been fixed.

Er why would a demo of the same game be a lot quieter then if that were true?

NPD has done some research into videogame consumers, Game Segmentation 2008. It mentioned that "Only 10% of PlayStation 2 owners also own the PlayStation 3."

EDGE Online got the other PS2 owner figures, which are: "18% of PlayStation 2 owners also own an Xbox 360." and "19% of PlayStation 2 owners also own a Nintendo Wii."

Guess I overestimated the power of the Playstation brand.

It's not surprising though, if you assume pretty much everyone has a PS2 (which can't be that for off the truth) just the relative sales would account for most of it.

From Boyatsea's first post

Wii - 11,418,000

Xbox 360 - 10,696,000

PlayStation 3 - 5,083,100

PS3 -> 360 nearly double, 360 -> Wii a bit more again.

NPD has done some research into videogame consumers, Game Segmentation 2008. It mentioned that "Only 10% of PlayStation 2 owners also own the PlayStation 3."

EDGE Online got the other PS2 owner figures, which are: "18% of PlayStation 2 owners also own an Xbox 360." and "19% of PlayStation 2 owners also own a Nintendo Wii."

Why does npd need to do research, those figures are not really any different from current LTD numbers which we know from this thread? :angry: We know the ps2 has sold 100+mil. The rest of the figures would seem to line up

These figures were just part of a broader study. The numbers are useful in understanding where the Wii's userbase is coming from. Before, there was a lot of speculation about whether Wii consumers were existing PS2 consumers or new videogame consumers. Looking at current sales data isn't enough to answer that question.

Why does npd need to do research, those figures are not really any different from current LTD numbers which we know from this thread? :angry: We know the ps2 has sold 100+mil. The rest of the figures would seem to line up

You can't really work it out using the sales figures though. They don't take into account that some people will have bought multiple machines due to them breaking out of warranty or because there was a redesign available.

Latest UK chart...

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK 33, 2008

01 (02) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

02 (01) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)

03 (04) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)

04 (03) [WII] Big Beach Sports (Thq)

05 (07) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)

06 (05) [NDS] Guitar Hero: On Tour (Activision Blizzard)

07 (11) [WII] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)

08 (18) [360] Beijing 2008 (Sega)

09 (09) [WII] Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)

10 (06) [360] Soulcalibur IV (Ubisoft)

11 (24) [PS3] Beijing 2008 (Sega)

12 (16) [NDS] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)

13 (13) [WII] Super Smash Bros: Brawl (Nintendo)

14 (10) [WII] Sports Party (Ubisoft)

15 (14) [WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision Blizzard)

16 (12) [NDS] More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)

17 (08) [PS3] Soulcalibur IV (Ubisoft)

18 (19) [360] Battlefield: Bad Company (Electronic Arts)

19 (17) [NDS] Kung Fu Panda (Activision Blizzard)

20 (15) [NDS] Wall-e (Thq)

21 (20) [NDS] Mario Kart Ds (Nintendo)

22 (23) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

23 (21) [WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Ubisoft)

24 (__) [WII] Summer Athletics (Eidos)

25 (28) [WII] Game Party (Midway)

26 (__) [360] Madden NFL 09 (Electronic Arts)

27 (26) [NDS] Puzzler Collection (Ubisoft)

28 (22) [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots (Konami)

29 (39) [360] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)

30 (34) [NDS] 42 All-time Classics (Nintendo)

31 (31) [NDS] Lego Indiana Jones: Original Adventures (Lucasarts)

32 (29) [360] Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)

33 (30) [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (505 Games)

34 (25) [NDS] Sight Training (Nintendo)

35 (33) [WII] Sega Superstars Tennis (Sega)

36 (32) [PS3] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)

37 (27) [360] Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision Blizzard)

38 (__) [PS3] Madden NFL 09 (Electronic Arts)

39 (36) [NDS] Imagine: Babies (Ubisoft)

40 (35) [WII] Sports Island (Konami)

DS = 14

Wii = 14

360 = 7

PS3 = 5

Nintendo’s ‘Mario Kart Wii’ overtakes fellow Wii blockbuster ‘Wii Fit’ at the top of the All Formats Chart, moving up 2 places from No3 (+6%) and ensuring that Nintendo clock up 9 All Formats No1’s in the past 19 weeks.

‘Wii Fit’ slacks off, sales down 24% at No2, but remains ahead of Sega’s rejuvenated Olympics titles with ‘Beijing 2008’ (No1 on Xbox 360 and PS3) sprinting 10 places to No3, while ‘Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games’ climbs 4 places to No4. Nintendo and Sega now share the Top 5 thanks to ‘Wii Play’ holding on to No5. Nintendo claims the lead format on 8 of the Top 10 games with 6 out of the 10 exclusive to Wii or DS. Nintendo’s formats are performing well across the board with 15 DS or Wii games in the Individual Formats (units) Top 20. Activision-Blizzard maintain 2 Guitar Hero games in the Top 10 with ‘Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock’ a non-mover at No6 and DS ‘Guitar Hero: On Tour’ down from No7 to No10. There are only 2 new games that make the Top 40 this week and both are sports titles: EA’s ‘Madden NFL 09’ at No17 and ‘Summer Athletics’ from Eidos at No25.

Nintendomination continues apace.

42 All Time Classics is also amazing!

I'm slightly amused that all these supposed "core" 360 (and slightly lesser extent PS3) owners have sent Beijing 2008 to the top of their single format charts. Those pesky casuals get everywhere.

they should add download games to the charts as well...

since GW2 came out, I've only played downloads. GW2, Wild West Guns, Braid, Pop, Bionic Commando and Pacman CE. The disc hasn't spun on my xbox or wii for a few weeks now...

Nintendo’s ‘Mario Kart Wii’ overtakes fellow Wii blockbuster ‘Wii Fit’ at the top of the All Formats Chart, moving up 2 places from No3 (+6%) and ensuring that Nintendo clock up 9 All Formats No1’s in the past 19 weeks.

‘Wii Fit’ slacks off, sales down 24% at No2, but remains ahead of Sega’s rejuvenated Olympics titles with ‘Beijing 2008’ (No1 on Xbox 360 and PS3) sprinting 10 places to No3, while ‘Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games’ climbs 4 places to No4. Nintendo and Sega now share the Top 5 thanks to ‘Wii Play’ holding on to No5. Nintendo claims the lead format on 8 of the Top 10 games with 6 out of the 10 exclusive to Wii or DS. Nintendo’s formats are performing well across the board with 15 DS or Wii games in the Individual Formats (units) Top 20. Activision-Blizzard maintain 2 Guitar Hero games in the Top 10 with ‘Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock’ a non-mover at No6 and DS ‘Guitar Hero: On Tour’ down from No7 to No10. There are only 2 new games that make the Top 40 this week and both are sports titles: EA’s ‘Madden NFL 09’ at No17 and ‘Summer Athletics’ from Eidos at No25.

The Wii is a huge success, but that doesn't stop the fact that most of the games on the system are shite!

The Wii is a huge success, but that doesn't stop the fact that most of the games on the system are shite!

The 360 is a moderate success, but that doesn't stop the fact that most of the gamnes on the system are shite!

The 360 is a moderate success, but that doesn't stop the fact that most of the gamnes on the system are shite!

The PS3 is a fair success, but that doesn't stop the fact that most games on the system are shite!

The PS3 is a fair success, but that doesn't stop the fact that most games on the system are shite!

The DS is a huge Success, but that.... oh you get the idea.