IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

Certainly the shoddy way that the 360 has been built has firmly stopped me wanting one.

£229 until Xmas eve in Game for a Premium with a second controller, Viva Pinata and Forza 2. Given that you'll get a newer model, with HDMI and a three year warranty, I'd say that should be perceived as a bargain and well worth taking a (warranted) chance on.

In order to appeal to every single person who owns a Wii, it would have to be casual-friendly, but good.

No game ever appeals to everyone who (potentially) owns the hardware to play it. Even Wii Sports has only a 55% ownership rate in Japan (where they have the choice) which must be close to the top 3 most owned games relative to userbase.

And yet the machine is selling pretty well.

I think it's the games that count and the price.

I don't know if the price and software range on the X360 is that compelling relative to the PS3 outside the English-speaking countries where both are available. Despite the dual (killer?) advantages the X360 has over the PS3, it's not turning those into a convincing sales lead like it does in the US every month, even the recent Canadian chart showed the sales gap narrowing sharply (the hardware price is the same in Canada).

Eh? The PS2 is still selling. I don't think the age of the console is a factor. I do expect MS to make a big deal when the more reliable machines are on sale.

From trying to pursuade friends to buy 360s over PS3s I'd say there is a perception the 360 is old hat, when it comes to picking a next generation console that is.

At least that's what I'd expect to happen.. of course marketing and Game store staff could somehow convince the public that the PS3 is the way to play GTAIV...

Have you played both versions yet? No one will know which is the superior version until its already, if you're talking purely from a gameplay and graphics stand point. The average punter won't give two shits about the 'exclusive' downloadable content.

Have you played both versions yet? No one will know which is the superior version until its already, if you're talking purely from a gameplay and graphics stand point. The average punter won't give two shits about the 'exclusive' downloadable content.

Well seeing as the demo's have been shown running from the 360 version and that very same version will have more content, I reckon you could probably go out on a limb and guess at which will be the premier one to own.

Well seeing as the demo's have been shown from the 360 version and that very same version will have more content, I reckon you could probably go out on a limb and guess at which will be the premier one to own.

The PS3. They're hiding it because it'll make MS upset about their waste of 50 million dollars.

Like EA hiding The Orange Box.

The PS3. They're hiding it because it'll make MS upset about their waste of 50 million dollars.

Like EA hiding The Orange Box.

:'(

I'm just not expecting the huge gap between the two versions that some are, thats all. I'm not fussed either way, I'm a GTA fan so I'll be getting the 360 version for the DLC regardless of which version is superior.

My point is more that the average punter won't be fussed about content they need to download (and pay for?) As long as they can put the disc in their machine and play away.

I'm just not expecting the huge gap between the two versions that some are, thats all.

It'll probably split roughly in line with the existing userbase, just like CoD4 and AC did. Although i wouldn't be too surprised if MS have got a massive co-marketing deal worked out with R* for it (ads exclusively showing the 360 logo, etc), given what they've already shelled out for the exclusive DLC, which might skew things a bit if it happens.

I am not too sure.

GTA is a very popular franchise, and if you were to be told in the shop that one version has have extra content which would you go for?

That's assuming they're told. It may be that people without a PS3 or 360 just go and buy a PS3 with the game oblivious to the extra DLC.

Heres the way I see the GTA sales between the 360 and PS3.

GTA 4 will be a big issue for people, looking at previous releases, so this is going to be the opportunity which results in a reasonable amount of sales for high definition consoles. Downloadable content in my opinion doesn't mean a thing. They will probably get a sales attempt for the 360 by a Game / Gamestation employee about DLC and will go right over their heads. What console sales will resolve down to will be what each console has to offer. The 360 has a very good back catalogue of games which will draw most people interested in gaming in, whereas the PS3 has the blue ray player and therefore will likely draw the more casual players wanting the GTA experience, a few other bits and an HD player. The fact that not everyone has HD TV's though could be a big factor, and may result in those people with only normal TV's who couldn't give a crap about blue ray opt for the 360 due to the games recommendations. Still, this might be offset by people having a good experience with the PS2 and therefore sticking with Sony (though brand loyalty seems to have gone out the window this gen).

Whatever happens, I can't really imagine one console coming out that much different to the other regarding this release. I imagine though, it will result in a fair amount of console sales from people who bought GTA 1 - 3 on PS2 and Xbox and now want to play the 4th who haven't upgraded yet.

It's going to be all about marketing and nothing else.

MS are going to have a tough job making the average person care about the downloadable content, especially as it won't come for free.

I'm not so sure. Put out an ad with a "The complete experience only available on 360" kicker and people might care more than we think.

It's going to be all about marketing and nothing else.

MS are going to have a tough job making the average person care about the downloadable content, especially as it won't come for free.

Considering MS have only dropped the price by $50 this year, they could easily drop it another $50/100 and bundle it with the system. I think that kind of saving over the competitor is a much easier sell than DLC. Considering Sony have already dropped the price of the PS3 $200 this year Jack Tretton has hinted not to expect any more price drops next year.

I think the 360 version will be co-marketed and will probably be the definitive version as well, the reason to own a PS2 last gen will be the reason to own a 360 this gen. I also think it will be delayed until Q4 2008. I agree with N'Gai though that judging sales per userbase will be the next time we'll be able to see if the PS3 is making any kind of comeback.

Does anyone know if Rockstar are still going forward with the PS3 exclusive Sony were crowing about a few months back?

Source

If so, it could be the reason why they didn't spend the money on exclusive GTA4 content, as they'll likely be bankrolling a large chunk of this games development. Of course outside of the GTA series, I've found Rockstar a pretty hit and miss developer (and I'm no great fan of GTA either TBH), so it could prove to be a major system seller (another GTA) or a complete non issue (table tennis).

Still, I'd be keen to hear more news on this and going off topic slightly, does anyone know when the next big games show is?

If so, it could be the reason why they didn't spend the money on exclusive GTA4 content, as they'll likely be bankrolling a large chunk of this games development. Of course outside of the GTA series, I've found Rockstar a pretty hit and miss developer (and I'm no great fan of GTA either TBH), so it could prove to be a major system seller (another GTA) or a complete non issue (table tennis).

Still, I'd be keen to hear more news on this and going off topic slightly, does anyone know when the next big games show is?

Considering it was reported Microsoft 'allegedly' gave Take Two $50 million for the rights to exclusive DLC, which you would think would actually more than pay for the development of GTA IV itself, there has been no financial details of any transaction between Sony and them for that rumoured game, which knowing Take Two, will not be another GTA monster as you have already pointed out (GTA3 was a bit of a fluke anyway really, like the majority of monster selling games).

The next big games show should be GDC in febuary (if they decide to announce any new games there that is) or E3-lite in the summer.

I'm not so sure. Put out an ad with a "The complete experience only available on 360" kicker and people might care more than we think.

I see what you're saying but I think we're not looking at it from the perspective of the general public.

Considering MS have only dropped the price by $50 this year, they could easily drop it another $50/100 and bundle it with the system. I think that kind of saving over the competitor is a much easier sell than DLC. Considering Sony have already dropped the price of the PS3 $200 this year Jack Tretton has hinted not to expect any more price drops next year.

I think the 360 version will be co-marketed and will probably be the definitive version as well, the reason to own a PS2 last gen will be the reason to own a 360 this gen. I also think it will be delayed until Q4 2008. I agree with N'Gai though that judging sales per userbase will be the next time we'll be able to see if the PS3 is making any kind of comeback.

MS and Sony will bundle without a doubt, and I agree that MS will probably do a price-drop to boot.

Can't see it being delayed until Q4 though, Rockstar can't afford to and they don't need xmas to sell GTA4 anyway.

I reckon they'll do a $50 price drop in Spring just before Halo Wars (traditionally they drop the price before Halo games), and then another $50 in the later part of the year for GTA4.

Won't happen imo, 3 price drops within 1 year, sign of weakness :wacko: The premium will be the same price as the Wii at that point too which sounds implausible unless Microsoft are reversing their last stated aim of not going for market share at any cost.

I am not too sure.

GTA is a very popular franchise, and if you were to be told in the shop that one version has have extra content which would you go for?

Well clearly MS think the extra content is worth paying for.

For me, the 360 controller would swing it on a multiformat title.

Anecdotal Wii popularity evidence exhibit 547 - My gf's parents heard last week that Asda had received 200 consoles in, so decided to buy one *. When they got there they had 26 consoles left. When their friend got there they had two left.

* also serves as a belated response to all those people who said "Yeah, but will they buy one?" when I said my folks/inlaws were enjoying the Wii.