IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

Sony do have a number of big hitters, but I doubt any of them can offer to turn around their position. Series that regularly outsold the MGS series in Japan for example (Hot Shots Golf, Gundam and Dynasty Warriors) all only offered a temporary bump of around forty thousand units and failed to sell anywhere near the software millions of their PS2 predeccessors.

I think we'll see the same for other big-name games, they'll have a temporary hardware bump small in comparison to anything from the PS2 era as the series fans upgrade. The problem is turning these bumps into continued momentum, which is the problem the Gamecube had.

I doubt that MGS4 will sell anything near what MGS2 sold, I think it'll struggle to sell close to MGS3 even, especially if it releases around the same time as GTA4, which it is currently scheduled to.

Footle's guide to making the PS3 version of multiplatform games sell in the UK.

1. Make them technically equivalent.

2. Make them the same price, rather than £5 to £10 more expensive in the shops.

3. Sort out the online.

--

1. might be sorted out by developers leading on the PS3.

3. might be sorted out eventually, but Sony have had a year to do this and haven't successfully done it yet.

2. is the bit that confuses me - why are PS3 games more expensive? Are Sony really charging more in fees than Microsoft? Do they think their games have a higher perceived value? Why would they think that?

I'm not really interested in the obvious solution to 2. (import) because it's more hassle than simply wandering down to the local supermarket.

Your quoting a hard number (factual data) which refers specifically to the US market, yet claim it's for the entire global sales of the product.

Sorry, you're correct. My mistake.

It's perfectly possible that the reason PS3 games fail to shift, is that they are mostly inferior to their 360 counterparts? If you put out shit you can't expect it to sell, getting the PS3 version up to the same standard as the 360 would be a good start to selling more copies on PS3 surely.

This example isn't always supported by the evidence though. Taking the hardware ratio into account and dividing the software sales by it, PlayStation 3 owners showed greater interest in Assassins Creed (widely considered an inferior port) than their Xbox 360 counterparts as shown here.

A lot of PS3 owners will also own a 360, so those people are going to go for the 360 version if that's superior. Burnout: Paradise will be a good test for that theory.

I thought this true, but then I expected the exclusive titles to do better, as they'd be the reason that people would own a PS3 as a second console, which made me consider the Blu-Ray thing. Uncharted sold less than Heavenly Sword did a few months ago, which is puzzling.

Ico doesn't have broad appeal.

Neither Ratchet & Clank* or Uncharted have shifted that many copies - certainly not enough to say they've got "broad appeal".

and so on.

* Which sold about as much in its first month on sale as Kameo did, ffs...

Regarding Ico (or the other mentioned titles), I wasn't referring to the title specifically as having a broad appeal, but SCE's output as a whole.

There's no getting away from the poor first party sales, and as I've said, I think RubberJohnny may be right when he says that many of PS3's sales have gone to Blu Ray fans rather than gaming, but part of PS2's success was that Sony produced games which catered to a wide range of tastes, and I think titles such as R&C and Uncharted will remain relatively steady sellers, and bolster the machines appeal outside of the typical hard core gamer. I know my girlfriend loves R&C but rolls her eyes at stuff like Resistance for example.

This example isn't always supported by the evidence though. Taking the hardware ratio into account and dividing the software sales by it, PlayStation 3 owners showed greater interest in Assassins Creed (widely considered an inferior port) than their Xbox 360 counterparts as shown here.

Fair enough. It's fair to note that Assassins Creed in-particular was given quite heavy PS3 related promotion. Weren't the adverts book ended by the PS3 logo or something?

I thought this true, but then I expected the exclusive titles to do better, as they'd be the reason that people would own a PS3 as a second console, which made me consider the Blu-Ray thing. Uncharted sold less than Heavenly Sword did a few months ago, which is puzzling.

Yeah, as I say, the first party games failing to do much is a worry. I had no idea PS3 games were generally more expensive than 360 games either, as I've been getting most of my stuff from the States recently. They should certainly sort that out ASAP, as it may encourage more sales across the board.

Are there any figures yet for the PS3 release of Unreal 3? With a 9/10 IGN score and it being just the sort of game that seems to be popular in America at the moment, I'd hope that would do well.

Famitsu's latest: -

1. Mario Party DS (DS)

2. Wii Fit (Wii)

3. GT5 Prologue (PS3)

4. DQ4 (DS)

5. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (DS)

6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

7. Wii Sports (Wii)

8. Wii Play (Wii)

9. Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (Wii)

10. Chocobo's Myteruous Dungeon (Wii)

... and here was me thinking that the Wii was on the decline in Japanoland.

Wowzers. Good stuff on SMG - taken a jump from number 11. Now at half a million sold.

I told you SMG would have legs.

Footle's guide to making the PS3 version of multiplatform games sell in the UK.

1. Make them technically equivalent.

2. Make them the same price, rather than £5 to £10 more expensive in the shops.

3. Sort out the online.

--

1. might be sorted out by developers leading on the PS3.

3. might be sorted out eventually, but Sony have had a year to do this and haven't successfully done it yet.

2. is the bit that confuses me - why are PS3 games more expensive? Are Sony really charging more in fees than Microsoft? Do they think their games have a higher perceived value? Why would they think that?

I'm not really interested in the obvious solution to 2. (import) because it's more hassle than simply wandering down to the local supermarket.

Plenty of developers have already shown porting to the PS3 can be done well. PS3 games are more expensive because the console is newer. Just like how 360 games were more expensive when they were newer.. Buying a US game on, say, Movietyme and getting it a few weeks before UK release is certainly LESS hassle than going to a Supermarket.

As for online, they just need in-game XMB which will come soon enough. I've found playing online on the PS3 is better than 360 thanks to the dedicated servers.

Criterion has always led development on Sony platforms. If you start to see EA inhouse teams leading on PS3, THAT would be news.

Army of Two is also leading on PS3 according to 1up.

What is it? Pretty much the same buddy-shooter game we talked about on PS3. The interesting thing is that EA Montreal started development on 360, then switched everything over to the Unreal Engine and set up PS3 as the lead platform.

Plenty of developers have already shown porting to the PS3 can be done well. PS3 games are more expensive because the console is newer. Just like how 360 games were more expensive when they were newer.. Buying a US game on, say, Movietyme and getting it a few weeks before UK release is certainly LESS hassle than going to a Supermarket.

As for online, they just need in-game XMB which will come soon enough. I've found playing online on the PS3 is better than 360 thanks to the dedicated servers in Warhawk and completely unplayable when not playing on a dedicated server..

4. Sorting out the amazing stagger in the US/UK release dates.

"More expensive because the console is newer" - like the Wii games are more expensive than the 360? Oh, they aren't. There's no reason at all why the games should be more expensive, and you know it.

Most of us go to supermarkets to buy food.

I've completed your last sentence for you.

360 games were something like £60 at launch! Anyway...

Gameplay.com prices:

Wii prices:

Wario Ware Smooth Moves! - £30 <-- Old game.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - £40 <-- New game

Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga - £40 <-- Same game

PS3 prices:

Motorstorm - £30 <-- Old game.

COD4 - £40 <-- New game

Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga - £30 <-- Same game

Plenty of Wii games are £40. Plenty of PS3 games are under £40. The Complete Saga is cheaper on PS3 than Wii! I STILL don't understand how anything can be less hassle than ordering online but I guess if you like to pay a premium for buying them in Sainsburys then fair enough.

But it's Wii! It must be cheap cos they're amaaazing.

360 games were something like £60 at launch! Anyway...

Which supermarket was that at? :)

Gameplay.com prices:

Wii prices:

Wario Ware Smooth Moves! - £30 <-- Old game.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - £40 <-- New game

Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga - £40 <-- Same game

PS3 prices:

Motorstorm - £30 <-- Old game.

COD4 - £40 <-- New game

Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga - £30 <-- Same game

Rather than the narrow examples you've picked, walk into any high street retailer and have a look at the total selling price of the top ten PS3, 360 and Wii games and see which comes out least expensive.

Clue: Not PS3

Yeah, do you not wonder why that is? Gamecube tech + low production value = Cheap games. It's not rocket science. But he's complaining about the higher price when the prices are in-line or lower compared to the 360 in it's first year.

There's not a single game over £40 for the PS3 on GAME, Gameplay or Amazon (and probably all the others) unless they're bundles like EOJ or Guitar Hero III.

Had Microsoft cut its hardware price earlier than August 2007, it might stayed further ahead. Consider the first two years of monthly sales for the Xbox 360:

xbox360monthlysales1107.jpg

In particular, compare the blue bars (the first year of Xbox 360 sales, starting in November 2005) to the green bars (the second year). Notice that in the January to July period the Xbox 360 sold better during its first year than during its second! This is particularly striking given that Xbox 360 supply was severely constrained during January to March of that first year.

Sales began to improve dramatically only when the price dropped in August of the second year. It is interesting to speculate why Microsoft resisted an earlier price drop. Microsoft worked hard to meet its targets announced during 2006, and shipped far more systems than retailers were able to sell. Given their focus on also making the Xbox 360 division profitable, a price cut might have been ruled out to avoid taking too much of a loss on the systems already in the channel.

I wonder if MS regret stuffing the channel to kinda-sorta meet their 10 million console promise, by fudging the numbers, when it turned out they were stuffing the channel with unreliable consoles that would be sitting unsold in stock rooms for ages. I wonder how much cash they'd have saved if they hadn't done that? If they'd waited, 360s would have been cheaper to manufacture, they wouldn't blow up so often, and they'd have been able to drop prices sooner.

Incredible amount of cash now spent on gaming

There's been a slowdown in consumer spending this Christmas, but people are still spending big money on consoles and games

£1.5bn spent by fans on computer games

Thursday, December 20, 2007

A record 78 million video and computer games will be sold in the UK this year, industry experts said today.

Fans spent £1.52 billion on the games in the first 50 weeks of this year - up 25% on the same period of 2006.

Last week alone games generated sales of £87.9 million, according to the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (Elspa).

Three quarters of the games sold this year were for consoles such as the Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo while the other 25% were for PCs.

Chart-Track which compiles data for Elspa said the total number of games bought in the first 50 weeks of this year was up by 16.6% on 2006.

Elspa director general Paul Jackson said: "Video gaming is now enjoyed by everyone, young and old, male and female.

"Interactive entertainment is now truly mass market, and this is just the beginning of a period of real sustained growth."

The Electronic Arts' Need for Speed: ProStreet game is the current favourite to be the Christmas best-seller, Elspa said.

Between July and September this year sales of 11.33 million computer consoles were sold in the UK - up 33% on the same period last year.

Spending on consoles for those three months hit £263.2 million - a 45% increase on the third quarter of 2006.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?i...p;in_page_id=34

As for online, they just need in-game XMB which will come soon enough. I've found playing online on the PS3 is better than 360 thanks to the dedicated servers.

God that one again. Not all PS3 games have dedicated servers, quite a few 360 games have dedicated servers or the option to set them up, hell xbox games even had dedicated servers. It's not something Sony have just suddenly invented. The only difference being that Sony and the companies publishing for Sony platforms decide when the user stops playing those games. You can still go online and play RTCW, Moto GP or MechAssault if you want while stuff a lot newer than that on the Sony network has been shut down already.

Well I've just given you quotes from two big studios that have said that's exactly what they're doing, with a good chance of Ubisoft following suit. Where's your evidence that this isn't the case?

The fact that Burnout is going to be one of the only multi-format titles to have been lead developed on the PS3. Even then, reports suggest the 360 version looks smoother. A fair chunk of multiformat titles have either been delayed on PS3, or been released bugged. The 360 is a software powerhouse, and it's where the bulk of sales are going. I'm not sure why any of the developers would suddenly make the PS3, where software sales are fairly poor, their priority. If anything, it's more likely it'll drop in importance if things continue as they are.

360 is doing well in the US, struggling in Europe and dead in Japan. Fair enough, they're doing well in the US - and credit to them -, but given they said they'd be at 10 million this time last year, that they're only now reaching 14 million can't be viewed as a success.

The 10 million figure was a shipment target, like all the big three put out. This was covered at the time and has been covered since. Sony's own target is 12 odd million by March - a shipment target that they'll reach. Like the 360, bares no relation to sales.

I don't think it's struggling in Europe, either. It's holding its own, and performing better than the PS3 is in the States.

Sony's first party efforts are often best viewed as a whole. Individually they don't push out system sellers, but taken as a whole they produce a diverse range of generally high quality titles, which have a wide appeal. I know a lot of people on this forum are holding out for Team Ico's next work, whilst MS still have nothing even comparable to Ratchet & Clank. Sony have the resources to continually pump out a wide range of titles with a broad appeal. MS don't seems to be able to do that, and is the reason that neither Xbox or 360 has been able to grow its audience outside of the hard core.

Any evidence for that? Six months ago Microsoft released statistics that showed that half of all 360 owners hadn't owned an Xbox. It's more a case that, at this stage of the console's life, it's mainly the hardcore that are buying consoles. The PS3 certainly hasn't made any inroads into the mainstream yet - certainly not if you're citing R&C as an example, which flopped at retail on both sides of the Atlantic.

Until BioShock, the biggest seller on 360 in the States this year was Guitar Hero II. I think that's evidence if any is needed that the 360 is doing well enough to appeal outside of the hardcore shooter fans.

They're a clear third in the US, but it's not a comparable situation to 360 in Japan, where the system is effectively dead. They're still shifting enough units to keep publisher attention.

The 360 is dead in Japan, yes. But even with Sony's sales advantage there - and until the price-cuts and Christmas, it was a very slim one - the PS3 isn't able to make up for the losses it is suffering in the States with its stronger sales in Europe and Japan.

After one year of sale and none of the traditional big Sony exclusives released, I'd say it's very keen to relegate PS3 to a permanent third place. Time will tell of course, and I certainly don't rule it out.

It's gone too far. No-one has recovered from this kind of position in the United States. The PS3 is basically posting GameCube style figures. Until the price-cuts, it wasn't even selling at those levels. It's a prediction, yes, but I don't think there's any chance of the PS3 moving out of third place over there, even if it starts outselling its rivals at some points next year.

Fair enough. It's fair to note that Assassins Creed in-particular was given quite heavy PS3 related promotion. Weren't the adverts book ended by the PS3 logo or something?

Yeah. They were Sony ads. And what good did it do Creed? Where were the bulk of its sales? Not on PS3.

That relates to a point we talked about months back on here. Is format specific advertising worth the money on multiformat titles? There was no advertising for the 360 version, yet it easily sold the most copies, and - according to estimates - continued to outsell the PS3 on a hardware level in the UK at the same time.

Are there any figures yet for the PS3 release of Unreal 3? With a 9/10 IGN score and it being just the sort of game that seems to be popular in America at the moment, I'd hope that would do well.

Not if the PC release is anything to go by. 30,000 copies sold, I believe.

Until BioShock, the biggest seller on 360 in the States this year was Guitar Hero II. I think that's evidence if any is needed that the 360 is doing well enough to appeal outside of the hardcore shooter fans.

erm - I don't agree. It's bought by the army of hardcore shooter fans who also like GH games. Like most 360 games, it's sales are now starting to tail off after the initial crazy launch.

erm - I don't agree. It's bought by the army of hardcore shooter fans who also like GH games. Like most 360 games, it's sales are now starting to tail off after the initial crazy launch.

Guitar Hero II.

And III's sales are hardly tailing off, for that matter.

It's gone too far. No-one has recovered from this kind of position in the United States. The PS3 is basically posting GameCube style figures. Until the price-cuts, it wasn't even selling at those levels. It's a prediction, yes, but I don't think there's any chance of the PS3 moving out of third place over there, even if it starts outselling its rivals at some points next year.

Wrong! Sony have secretly bought 51% of Nintendo by slowly buying up stock options. The Wii shortages are down to them strangling supply. Soon only Sony and Microsoft will be left.

What reports? Every one I have read, listened to have claimed the PS3 one is "better"

I've heard either way. I personally think the PS3 version looks a smidgen better and that is the tiniest smidgen. All I know is if you couldn't see a console or controller you'd never be able to tell which was which.

I've heard either way. I personally think the PS3 version looks a smidgen better and that is the tiniest smidgen. All I know is if you couldn't see a console or controller you'd never be able to tell which was which.

yeah thats why i put it as "better", as its more that their "different". Neither one massively outshines the other but there are "differences".

2 or 3 - doesn't matter. Point doesn't change.

They're games bought by many of the same folk who bought Halo 3.

Well, in tradition of your style of evidence Scott (:(), I own Halo 3, but neither GHII or III.

I think that's bollocks, anyway. They'll be some crossover, yeah, but I suspect that it Viva Pinata had sold massive numbers, you'd say the exact same thing, because it doesn't quite fit in with your world view.