IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

This bit of information from Sony's PR about the NPD results was interesting, as I think the figures maybe a tad inflated. I'm curious as to their methodology in working this out, because if it's based solely on accounts created for each region, then the NA figures are inflated (by possibly a significant amount) due to PAL users needing US accounts to get demos in a reasonable time. If they're correct though, it shows the gulf in interest about online in NA compared to the rest of the world (though content download numbers are closer for NA compared to rest of the world despite the majority of registered accounts being in NA).

The same caveat may apply to Xbox Live numbers aswell.

I have a PSN account, but no PS3. You can register for an account on their website.

I don't think you can do that for a Live account, but I'm not sure.

There was an interesting interview in this month's Edge with Atsushi Inaba (Ex-head of Clover Studios (RIP) and one of the key people behind Viewtiful Joe :lol: , one of the finest slices of JPN content last gen), which probably mirrors the situation of a lot of smaller JPN developers:

Edge: In an industry so dominated by Nintendo, and knowing that Nintendo is selling the most on its platforms, how does a new company approach such a market, especially with more core-gamer-focused content?

AI: I was annoyed by Sony's whole behaviour over the price cuts, because the opinion of the entire industry here was against them. The Wii and DS are selling very well, but in terms of software Nintendo is obviously the best-selling developer by far. It has the best understanding of the new market it has created. Nintendo can be very happy about the situation right now, but for a developer like us, and we're probably in the majority, the situation is difficult.

Do we go with the Xbox 360? Our game then might be successful in the US, but there is no market in Japan and I don't have the feeling it is doing that well in Europe. As for Sony, the power of the brand may be good in Japan and overseas but there are just not enough machines installed. To be honest, we almost wish for a platform on the market that is none of the above. But of course this isn't possible, so we'll have to adapt to the market.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...52&Itemid=2

This has probably been posted already, but November NPD sales of just 33K for Unreal Tournament 3. Ouch. I can understand Crysis' poor sales on the back of the requirements, but still, the PC game market doesn't seem to be able to support blockbusters anymore.

There was an interesting interview in this month's Edge with Atsushi Inaba (Ex-head of Clover Studios (RIP) and one of the key people behind Viewtiful Joe :lol: , one of the finest slices of JPN content last gen), which probably mirrors the situation of a lot of smaller JPN developers:

That's an interesting one... they touched on that on the 1Up Yours podcast this week, seems like it could affect the more Japan-centric output that we got lots of on the PS2.

I think his point is, from a developer's perspective, at the moment there is no outright winner.

Dunno about that, my interpretation of what he said is that despite Nintendo being the leader in Japan, it's not a situation which is favourable to the majority of Japanese developers. Both Sony and Microsoft's platforms have problems in terms of their suitability for JPN developers for differing reasons.

Ideally they'd like a dominant worldwide console that doesn't have a platform holder selling the majority of the software behind it.

The DS is close to PS2 levels of domination in Japan, but developers are not having the same levels of success on it (probably due to shifting market tastes).

I see what the ex-Clover guy is saying, but jeez, just make something decent for Wii and advertise it for once!

Even if it bombs it'll be cheaper than a PS3 or 360 bomb :lol: Have some confidence man!

EDIT: Let's face it, Nintendo have always made quality software, you've got to expect that from them, it's just that they've figured out how to advertise it this time and now everyone is pissed!

This has probably been posted already, but November NPD sales of just 33K for Unreal Tournament 3. Ouch. I can understand Crysis' poor sales on the back of the requirements, but still, the PC game market doesn't seem to be able to support blockbusters anymore.

It's ok, they're also releasing it on the PS3.

Oh.

I see what the ex-Clover guy is saying, but jeez, just make something decent for Wii and advertise it for once!

EDIT: Let's face it, Nintendo have always made quality software, you've got to expect that from them, it's just that they've figured out how to advertise it this time and now everyone is pissed!

Quite, I'm sick of hearing developers and publishers whine about not being able to compete with Nintendo sales figures. Nintendo sell lots of software because they know their market and because Nintendo generally serve up better quality software than the competition. Yet it seems that, instead of trying to find their own niche and concentrate of providing better quality software, the money men at the publishers react by thinking that churning out inferior, "me too" versions of Nintendo franchises is the way to rectify the situation.

I'm fairly sympathetic to what the bloke from Clover says because their games certainly never sold anything like what their quality deserved (whether on Nintendo hardware or not), and he's not whining about it nearly as much as some do. But it's just so depressing to hear developers and publishers stamping their feet like little children about it.

"Boo hoo, it's not fair, we can't compete with 1st party Nintendo software, boo hoo" :D