IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

Do people think the death of the PS3 will somehow mean massive success for the 360? I'm not sure what all this rivalry is about.

It seems clear that neither are going to do that well this gen (35k~ each I'd imagine). For people wanting HD games, wouldn't it be better to have 35k~ 360's and 35k~ PS3s around instead of Wii getting even further ahead (as I would see it going)?

The existence of this thread (outside of simple fanboyism) is to do with developer support late in the life of the consoles. The actual positions aren't as important as the units sold - 1st place is worthless if there is only a small gap between it and 2nd place, for example.

Other things come into this, such as attach rate and tie ratio and can influence the figures. The Wii is selling PS2 levels, but it's software is moving at traditional Nintendo levels, which is why the dev migration hasn't been as sharp as anticipated. The 360 isn't moving much hardware but has insane software sales which help keep it relevant and makes up for the hardware. The PS3 isn't moving much hardware or software and has little hope of breaking the cycle.

It's pretty clear that both PS3 and 360 are fighting over a marketshare of about 40million, so the ideal scenario will never happen.

This bit of information from Sony's PR about the NPD results was interesting, as I think the figures maybe a tad inflated. I'm curious as to their methodology in working this out, because if it's based solely on accounts created for each region, then the NA figures are inflated (by possibly a significant amount) due to PAL users needing US accounts to get demos in a reasonable time. If they're correct though, it shows the gulf in interest about online in NA compared to the rest of the world (though content download numbers are closer for NA compared to rest of the world despite the majority of registered accounts being in NA).

The same caveat may apply to Xbox Live numbers aswell.

You're right. I have 2 Xbox live accounts but only 1 Xbox360. I even have a PSN account but don't own a PS3!

It's pretty clear that both PS3 and 360 are fighting over a marketshare of about 40million, so the ideal scenario will never happen.

Unless your talking solely about the US, the global market should be bigger than 40 million for the more traditional machines, otherwise your predicting that sales for both will fall off a cliff within 2 years at the current rate of sales.

Wasn't it released in like 1998.

I thought it last because it was released in between generations?

It was Sega's next system after the Saturn, so it started the last gen and eventually went up against Sony's next console. It's not like Sega released the DC to compete with the PSOne just coz it was released in 1998. They were gettnig their foot in the next gen door. Unfortunately, they tripped on the way in and landed on their arse :wub:

That's the way I look at it anyway, on a competition basis.

Unless the Xbox360 gets the kind of epic Japanese games in HD that I want, I can't see the PS3 failing as a good thing. I love the games I've got on the Wii and 360, but I want a full blown Japanese RPG in HD, and I'm not sure either will offer that. One can't do pretty HD graphics and the other doesn't seem to be getting those kind of games.

Unless the Xbox360 gets the kind of epic Japanese games in HD that I want, I can't see the PS3 failing as a good thing. I love the games I've got on the Wii and 360, but I want a full blown Japanese RPG in HD, and I'm not sure either will offer that. One can't do pretty HD graphics and the other doesn't seem to be getting those kind of games.

Three words for you, my friend:

White. Knight. Story

I was talking about the Xbox being the best console last gen.

What generation was the DC even released in?

You do realise the dreamcast was only launched in europe and the states, only ever so slightly more than a year ahead of the ps2 right? And a year and a half or so in japan?

Not too far removed from the 360 and the ps3 launch wouldnt you say.... :wub:

Second time lucky for peter moore really...well sorta

Some info on the state of Japanese handhelds from Famitsu

NDS

Nintendo 10,766,394 --------------> Yoshi's Island 2, Zelda and most of all old games !

Nintendo/Pokemon Co. 2,056,575

Square Enix 3,138,341 -------------> Dragon Quest, FF and small games.

Namco Bandai Games 1,686,238 --------------->Tales series

Capcom 1,031,194 ------------------------> Ace Attorney and rest.

Level 5 913,894 -----------------> Professor Layton

Other 2,903,659

Nintendo: 12,822,969 = 67.4%

The rest of the industry: 8,642,132 = 32.6%

PSP

SCEI 165,290

Capcom 1,483,912 -----------------> Monster Hunter Portable 2

Square Enix 1,136,131 ---------------> FF7CC and Tactics

Namco Bandai Games 470,552 -----------------> Tales Series

Konami 439,408 -----------------------------> Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

Other 97,028

Sony: 165,290 = 4.6%

The rest of the industry: 3,627,031 = 95.4%

One can't do pretty HD graphics and the other doesn't seem to be getting those kind of games

No one has said why they can't be PS3/360 yet.

Do Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata or Infinite Undiscovery not count?