19 (-) PS2 - Need for Speed: Pro Street

20 (-) PS2 - WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008

360 - 6

WII - 5

DS - 4

PS2 - 3

PS3 - 2

PSP - 0

Canada seems to be showing some divergence from the US.

Also, some Wii Software LTD sales for the US from IGN:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn- 53K

Carnival Games- 300K

Boogie- 170K

CoD3- 310K

Cars- 115K

Cooking Mama- 190K

Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party- 176K

Elebits- 136K

Excite Truck- 266K

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- 150K

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- 1.8M

Madden 08- 292K

Mario Party 8- 1.4M

Medal of Honor Heroes 2- 31K

Metroid Prime 3- 490K

My Sims- 200K

Zak&Wiki- 35K

Rayman Raving Rabbids- 500K plus

Rayman Raving Rabbids 2- 60K

RE4:Wii- more than 400K

Sonic and the Secret Rings- 350K

SSX Blur- 125K

Super Paper Mario- 808K

The BIGS- nearly 200K

MLB Power Pros- nearly 80K

Tiger Woods 07- almost 350K

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08- 175K

Transformers- 150K

Trauma Center: New Blood- 15K

WarioWare: Smooth Moves- ~600K

Red Steel- ~390K

Trauma Center: Second Opinion- ~210K

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2- ~165K

GT Pro Series- ~110K

Happy Feet- ~90K

Some DS Software LTD sales for the US from IGN:

Drawn to Life- ~200K

Hannah Montana- almost 1 million

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass- ~710K

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings- 49K

Also Rachet & Clank: ToD managed another 66,000 sales this month, LTD of ~140K

"From last weeks Episode"

So basically the 360 and PS3 are selling roughly the same globally, with PS3 having outsold 360's first year, but without the hypothetical momentum to sell more in the long run given the complex calculations of this thread. Wii laughs.

Can't wait for the next 531 pages!!! It's like watching a blind dog chase its tail after eating a jar of coffee.

Because the momentum isn't there. If you're in third place, 7 million behind your nearest competitor, you need to have the momentum to outsell that competitor. The PS3 made most of its sales at launch, with two small bumps for the price-cuts, but generally it's being outsold every week. The difference between the Xbox 360's first year and the PS3's first year is Japan, basically. The 360's dire performance in Japan means that, as a year end total, the PS3's is slightly higher than the 360's was in 2006.

I know, I agree, that's obvious to us all, but 1st year V 1st year the PS3 has sold more. Against expectations it still falls short, but it could have been worse. Now the 360 has certainly gone up a gear, but the PS3 hasn't hit it's second year yet so lets give it a chance to do the same before writing it off.

I don't want to be a PS3 apologist, but all the 360 has done is launch a year sooner. If that's good enough to be successful in some people's eyes then why can't the PS3 be allowed the same time to get to a similar total? To follow a similar trajectory?

It's in publishers interest to have two HD platforms doing well and not just one.

But you've also got to look at it from the angle that the Playstation brand was FAR superior to the xbox brand during the last generation so to only be level pegging with them this generation is surely not a good thing for Sony.

Totally agree, and I've said before on here; using the 360 as a yardstick for the PS3 in not acceptable for Sony. But at the same time, if the 360 is considered to be doing well and the PS3 is matching it, why are everyone writing off the entire system after just a year?

why are everyone writing off the entire system after just a year?

Because Sony=doomed!!!/Massive damage/LOL? :wub:

I do remember that even last generation, the hardcore vocal members of forums backed Nintendo/Microsoft as their platform of choice, though market reality didn't share that opinion. This time around, they're more instep with current market realities.

why are everyone writing off the entire system after just a year?

I don't think anyone is writing it off on a worldwide basis - but I am writing it off in the U.S., because it's not on a similar trajectory there. It's flagging behind: -

U.S. hardware sales 1 year after launch (launches aligned)

PlayStation 3 (Nov 06-Nov 07) - 2,692,500

Xbox 360 (Nov 05-Nov 06) - 3,402,900

Wii (Nov 06-Nov 07) - 6,455,500

(Incidently, Xbox 360 sales for the period Nov 06-Nov 07 - i.e., since the competition launched - 5,267,000)

Kinda puts that rise in context, really.

U.S. 2007 hardware sales

PlayStation 3 - 2,004,500

Xbox 360 - 3,626,000

Wii - 5,375,500

So, the PS3 has actually lost pretty major ground since it launched. To be specific, having been around 3 million behind the 360 when the PS3 launched, the gap has now grown by around 2.5 million over the last year to nearly 5.5 million. As well as that, it's 3.8 million behind the Wii. It's not going to come back from all this in the U.S. Though completely unlikely, it needed to at least keep pace with the 360 this Christmas, whereas it's just losing more and more ground - despite a 285 per cent increase.

So, the PS3 has sold 2.6 million units in the U.S. since launch. At the same stage of the 360's life, it had sold 3.4 million - the Wii total speaks for itself - so the PS3 is tracking quite far behind. In ths year alone, it's fallen a further 1.6 million behind the 360 in the U.S., and now trails by around 5.4 million in total. It's just not going to make that up when it's being outsold every month.

Who was talking about just America?

We were, a few pages back, when the NPDs came out. That's when I 'wrote Sony off' in the United States.

That's why, in reply to MMS' post, I said that I don't think anyone has written the PS3 off on a worldwide basis.

The US is important because it's the world's biggest videogame market and therefore lots of game publishers (including the Japanese) make decisions with that market in mind

With the PS3 doing so poorly in the US relative to the competition it's going to be hard for Sony to keep hold of any big budget third party franchises. Hence all the rumours of MGS4 heading to the 360, and the PS3 losing Devil May Cry as an exclusive franchise.

What's more interesting is Japan with the PS3 doing a lot better against the Wii, it may start to outsell the Wii soon and close the gap. This might lead to more Japanese quirky stuff heading for the PS3

2008 is going to be fascinating (or hairtearingly annoying if you don't like talking about sales figures)

Have you? I bet you haven't. Have you wrotten off the 360 in America?

When it's still 1.5 million units in the lead, and the Wii's progress is being hampered by lack of stock? That'd be a bit daft, I think. Nah, I think the 360 has a good chance of making a fight of it in the U.S. over the next 3-4 years.

The difference with the PS3 is, it's 5.5 million units behind the market leader, and losing ground. I don't think it'll recover there.

That's a huge difference from writing it off as a viable product which is what 'write off' means.

It is when you're confusing 'write off' - as in, broken beyond repair - with 'writing off someone's chances'.

To avoid confusion, I'm saying the PS3 will - in all likelihood - never get out of third place in the U.S.

When it's still 1.5 million units in the lead, and the Wii's progress is being hampered by lack of stock? That'd be a bit daft, I think. Nah, I think the 360 has a good chance of making a fight of it in the U.S. over the next 3-4 years.

Well if you use the methodology you're using to write off the PS3 then you have to write off the 360 too!

Do people think the death of the PS3 will somehow mean massive success for the 360? I'm not sure what all this rivalry is about.

It seems clear that neither are going to do that well this gen (35k~ each I'd imagine). For people wanting HD games, wouldn't it be better to have 35k~ 360's and 35k~ PS3s around instead of Wii getting even further ahead (as I would see it going)?

Like I said, I'm not a PS3 apologist, but it seems shortsighted of those almost rooting for the early death of the PS3.

Just one year after launch, there are more than 3 million registered PLAYSTATION Network users worldwide who have downloaded more than 60 million pieces of content.

In North America alone there are more than 1.8 million registered users who have downloaded more than 34.5 million pieces of content.

This bit of information from Sony's PR about the NPD results was interesting, as I think the figures maybe a tad inflated. I'm curious as to their methodology in working this out, because if it's based solely on accounts created for each region, then the NA figures are inflated (by possibly a significant amount) due to PAL users needing US accounts to get demos in a reasonable time. If they're correct though, it shows the gulf in interest about online in NA compared to the rest of the world (though content download numbers are closer for NA compared to rest of the world despite the majority of registered accounts being in NA).

The same caveat may apply to Xbox Live numbers aswell.