IGNORED

Does anyone have a vinyl collection?

Colonel Panic

Does anyone here have much of a record collection? I was browsing the perfect album thread and realized I've got a couple of the albums listed on vinyl given to me as gifts but I don't even have a record player!

Does anyone but pretentious audiophiles and DJs collect vinyl? I'm tempted to get a decent amp and record player and getting a few of my favourite albums on vinyl just... because... Where would I start?

I've got about 500 LPs that I've been collecting for a while now. The first one I bought was Jacko's Bad back in 1987.

I'm not a DJ and I'm only a bit of an audiophile. Vinyl clearly does sound teh bestest, but I love the whole tactile quality and big sleeves and that.

When a new album I want comes out I prefer to buy it on vinyl, but nowadays artists don't sequence their records for the optimum length of 40ish minutes. This means you'll get an album which lasts, say, 55 mins and it's spread out over two discs with just a couple of tracks on each side. I buy these records on CD cos I don't wanna be getting up every ten mins to flip 'em over.

Sometimes new stuff doesn't even get a vinyl pressing. I'd buy the black plastic version of the new Vampire Weekend like a shot, but I don't think it's getting a pressing.

I dunno whether it's worth starting a vinyl collection now, though. Apparently only 250K LPs were sold worldwide last year, which means they're only gonna get more niche (expensive).

I've got about thirty, but never listen to any of them really. A few albums and singles by bands I do (or used to) "collect" and some 80s metal etc which I picked up dirt cheap at carboot sales, and only played once to copy to CD/mp3.

i have over a thousand albums and singles, 12 inch jobbies the lot

rare shit picture disk glow in the dark albums, been collecting since 1972

so got a wide range from glam rock to hip hop and it don't stop, well it did :lol:

i bought a Philips CD recorder years and years ago to transfer my albums but it rarely spotted the gap

inbetween tracks so i lost interest, was a pain doing it manually... happy daze :lol:

I've got a few hundred LPs, nearly all of them were bought in my teens. I dread to think how many I'd have by now if I hadn't buggered up my hearing and lost a lot of the passion along with it.

Ye olde Metal Box is probably my favourite:

MetalBox.jpg

Except the metal on mine is all tarnished like most of them, adds to the character I think.

About 3,000 I think. Seemed like a lovely idea at the time but I hardly DJ at all anymore so they just sit there take up an enormous amount of space, and they're an enormous pain in the arse when you're moving house. Could be worse - a mate of mine has about 15,000 split between his place and his Dad's.

They definitely sound better though - especially stuff that was obviously recorded to sound good on vinyl. Doesn't make much difference with more modern stuff as it's all digitally produced to sound clean and shiny and top-endy on a CD player.

I have a good few - maybe 200 - vinyl lying around.

Some albums definitely sound and look a lot better on 12 inch, such as Ys by Joanna Newsom. The occasional crackle makes it sound even better and the booklet that comes with the vinyl version is basically a book, well worth the money.

I've no idea how many I've got, but it's a great hobby. I'm in the process of swapping loads of old stuff at the moment. There's just nothing like having a massive cardboard package arrive at the door, or thumbing through old sleeves in a dusty record shop.

It's also scientifically proven that every house or hip hop record sounds a million times better on vinyl.

Doesn't make much difference with more modern stuff as it's all digitally produced to sound clean and shiny and top-endy on a CD player.

Actually a lot of vinyl is mastered more conservatively (which is a good thing) as it can't always take the heavy processing that a digital medium can. Although I wouldn't say music is necessarily produced with the medium in mind, more that production techniques have changed. The best thing about getting classics on vinyl is avoiding the overcompressed nastiness of modern re-masters like Led Zep's Mothership.

Still got all my old original vinyl purchases (including the obligatory Blue Monday 12"). Not sure I'd class it as a collection, more as just the music I bought in the pre-CD days. I do have a pretty big collection of Depeche Mode stuff (up to Violator) on vinyl, but again, just because they're my favourite band, rather than an attempt to build a collection.

Not had a turntable in the house for a while though, so I've no idea if I'll ever get to listen to them again. A bit sad really (even though I have re-purchased loads of stuff on CD).

I've bought and collected records since the early 80's, so I have a sizeable collection of 12", LPs, 10" and 7". I've got a nice big collection of Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode and New Order 12"'s & LPs. Plus I've got a big pile of Warp records and other Electronica & Techno 12"'s. And I've still got my old 80's 12" & LPs as well.

You can browse my collection here (not added everything yet).

Thousands. I've no idea how many. Mainly Jungle / DnB, but tons of jazz, reggae, electronic stuff, dubstep, techno, kraut, world, drone, rap, prog, rock etc etc etc. I need to have a bit of a clearout though, kick out all the crap DnB from the late 90s / early 00s.

I have some CDs, but no more than probably 20 or 30, maybe?

I've got about 150 LPs and something like 50 7inches. Split evenly between hardcore, punk and old 60s and 70s garage rock / rn'b stuff - with a handful of hip hop, techno and metal albums in there. I started buying vinyl when I was about 15 when I was into indie and dance music because there was a lot that wasn't released on CDs and just carried the habit on when I started listening to punk and then hardcore. I listen to a lot of obscure 60s stuff which only gets re-issued on vinyl as well - there's definetely a whiff of muso pretentiousness going on with the labels who release that stuff...

If I totalled up all the stuff I've had and then got rid of over the years (2 shoe boxes full of indie 7inches, a couple of boxes of old techno and house 12inches, a lot of bad indie and punk albums) it'd be about 3 times as much as what I have now.

I'm going to have to start building a collection after hearing all of the above. Although :angry: at Rsdio buggering his hearing. I came close after a few particularly loud concerts but luckily the permanent buzzing is low enough to not drive me insane.

Okay, so I guess now I'm looking for record player/amp/speaker recommendations. I don't really have a budget but I guess I can go for something midrange, so I won't be spending a fortune on speaker cable and the like. Should I take it to ATF?

I've managed to pick up around 250 7" over the last four or five years, and yet nothing in the last eight or ten months. I used to enjoy the browse of second-hand shops in Birmingham and the Monday releases, but it's all waned of late. They are all displayed in two crockery stands but since my house move have found their home behind the telly so it seems like their redundancy has been sealed.

I love the sounds and quality of vinyl, but cannot stand the impracticality of listening to vinyl singles. I'll usually dish out for the vinyl, d/l the songs again onto my PC and then have them in tactile and digital form. But the collection is very dear to me and I couldn't give it up. Not even the shit stuff.

I have a few hundred maybe, mostly 90's uk/us indie. Have every Sonic Youth album up to Washing machine. Interested died when Belfast's premier shop closed 'Dr Roberts' and i grew tired to chasing down DnB 12".

Converting my attic and planning on getting a nice single deck / amp and reclaim the vinyl :lol:

I remember when I was about 15 word went round my group of friends of an amazing find in Dr. roberts. Only one guy knew what it was or where it was so we all followed him there after school one day, we went straight to the vinyl section and he picked up a real shit lp by Wasp or Def Leppard or something similar and handed it to one of my friends, with a big grin he said "open that!" Everyone crowded round and the lp was pulled out along with a load of polaroids of some auld fat bird with a perm getting fisted by a fat old man :lol:;)

I've managed to pick up around 250 7" over the last four or five years, and yet nothing in the last eight or ten months. I used to enjoy the browse of second-hand shops in Birmingham and the Monday releases, but it's all waned of late. They are all displayed in two crockery stands but since my house move have found their home behind the telly so it seems like their redundancy has been sealed.

I love the sounds and quality of vinyl, but cannot stand the impracticality of listening to vinyl singles. I'll usually dish out for the vinyl, d/l the songs again onto my PC and then have them in tactile and digital form. But the collection is very dear to me and I couldn't give it up. Not even the shit stuff.

Making a mix-tape from 7"s is a nice way to kill a Sunday afternoon.

Record collections always look really nice, sat on shelves, and with the big covers.

I have a small amount of records, from back when I tried to be a bedroom DJ (1998-2000 iirc). I sold my decks years ago so they've just be sat in a cupboard. I'd like to get rid of them, just not sure where. Local record stores I presume? Some of the tunes are just plain embarassing though :lol:

Thousands. I've no idea how many. Mainly Jungle / DnB, but tons of jazz, reggae, electronic stuff, dubstep, techno, kraut, world, drone, rap, prog, rock etc etc etc. I need to have a bit of a clearout though, kick out all the crap DnB from the late 90s / early 00s.

I'll take them :lol: that's my favourite shit.

Got around 2000 bits of assorted D&B, hip hop and metal stuff. I fucking love a big chunky vinyl.

I have a small vinyl collection - my favourite albums and some dance classics from '98-'03. I think I have just over 20.

They take up so much space, I'm very strict about what I buy. I'll only buy an album on vinyl if I've not got bored of it after a year of having the CD/MP3.

The dance EPs I buy are a mix of tunes I heard on pirate radio back in the day and house tunes that I love but which aren't featured on any dance compilations/mixes that I have. Speaking of which, I have some vinyl EPs I need to offload, mostly trance and Ulrich Schnauss remixes.

I :) vinyl. Still drop by old records stores check out the vinyls, even if I'm not looking for anything.