Breaking Bad

futureshock

Dropping in here to say what has been said over the last 87 pages and 4 years: this is easily one of the best television shows ever made. The only time I thought the quality dropped a little bit was with the first few episodes of season 4, but then Walter decided to become the joker and all fucking hell broke loose.

I'm going to watch this again from the start. Why? Because nothing else comes close, not Mad Men, not Game of Thrones nor any other television show I can think of. But before I bid you adieu, i would like to thank all who participated in this thread. Watching this and reading every single page of this thread after every episode has been a joy to do. As far as I'm concerned, the entire production team should be thanking you guys for getting more and more people in to this.

Thanks.

I'll be honest, The Wire and Breaking Bad are equally good for totally different reasons, Breaking Bad has a tighter script and more big "fuck yeah/no" moments but the Wire is so authentic in feeling, has a ton of great characters that are fully explored and is packed full of meaningful social criticism.

They shouldn't be compared and even with a gun next to my head I don't think I could honestly choose.

They're both number one for my favorite TV series, with Sopranos trailing slightly behind (haven't watched Mad Men or GoT yet).

Breaking Bad does not have a tighter script than The Wire. But I agree with the rest of your sentiments.

I was thinking where I would place BB in my top dramas list, I'm really not sure. I've seen The Wire twice (better 2nd time round) but Sopranos and BB only once.

Before things fly back on topic, I'm watching The Wire for the first time at the moment. Flew through S1 - S3 a couple of months ago and thought 1 and 2 were very strong. 3 I didn't think was as good but it has led quite well into S4. The first two episodes have me convinced this will be the best series yet.

Breaking Bad vs The Wire. I prefer the characters in BB for sure and the premise in general, but as mentioned, the social commentary in The Wire as well as the authenticity of it and characters like Lester Freedman mean I'll probably start watching it all over again when it's done.

Of course neither shows compare to Mad Men. Joking, joking. To be fair, all 3 series have their moments. I used to love The Sopranos, but only watched when it was originally on. A HD rewatch will definitely be in order some years down the line, same with Six Feet Under.

:( Help me understand, please:

I thought Walt would want to pay off mike's guys. He's set to make multi-millions so could easily have done it. If he had told Mike that was his intention then Mike would have given him the names, don't you think? Surely if he wanted the names in order to kill them that would require as much financial input and unwanted risk, no? I can't see the sense in it.

:( Help me understand, please:

I thought Walt would want to pay off mike's guys. He's set to make multi-millions so could easily have done it. If he had told Mike that was his intention then Mike would have given him the names, don't you think? Surely if he wanted the names in order to kill them that would require as much financial input and unwanted risk, no? I can't see the sense in it.

Paying them off is a half-measure, and Mike inculcated 'no more half measures' into Walt a long time ago. Taking this half-measure is essentially what got Mike killed - not to say that bumping off his guys wouldn't have led to other complications, but you see what I mean. For as long as they're alive, there's the potential that they'll start talking.

Anyway, guys, I have this theory, it's a bit out there, but bear with me. I think Walt might be turning into a bad guy.

there is no sense to it. Mike offended Walt's pride when he told him that everything was his fault, and implied that he wasn't as good as Fring. Walter is such a prideful short sighted prick now that it was enough to send him into a murderous rage. The utter senseless stupidity is the whole point of it. Walter thinks he's in control of this huge empire, a multi-million dollar meth operation, but he can't even control his own impulses. That was all rammed home with Walt realising that he could have easily asked Lidia for the names. And, again, Walter doesn't see why he should be burdened with legacy costs which (to his mind) he shouldn't have to cover. Basically Walt's a prick.

So Walt's logical next move is to get the names from Lidia and try to use Todd's prison connections to get Mike's guys all killed. Mike was trying to disappear, so that at least is covered for Walt

Oh, and apparently the movie is Fritz Lang's The Big Heat.

Echoing the sadness here.

So anyone else thinking they will wrap up the 2009 storyline next week? The way this is set up can only mean everything will unravel next week with Saul being tailed, one of the nine guys going to talk, lydia and...oh for fucks sake, Walt and Jesse are screwed aren't they? :(

Yes, it is becoming increasingly hard to find any redeeming qualities in Walt, whatsoever, sadly. :(

Also, It seems infeasible that Walt would get to remove the bug from Hank's office as easily as he placed it and sure enough, right after he did so, there was a most unusual camera angle from the top corner of hank's office, which would be the very position of a security camera, no?

this has to be the beginning of the end, right? Or maybe killing gus was the beginning of the end and this is the beginning of the end of the end. Everything is starting to crumble around Walter. Jesse, his family, his business, all that stuff? I wonder if they'll even address walt aged 52 with his gun at the end of this series or not. Aaaaaargh.