I think the gap for Season 4 was artificially long for one reason or another. Many shows are still in the process of filming later episodes as the season premieres. Although having done a little more digging it seems that perhaps there will be two mini-seasons after all:

Gunn said production for the fifth season of "Breaking Bad" will start [in January], with eight episodes slated to shoot. The highly anticipated final season will be broken into two shortened mini-seasons. The last batch of episodes will probably shoot in winter 2013, she said.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/01/anna-gunn-ready-to-start-production-on-breaking-bad-season-5.html

• 2 weeks later...

You've still got so much awesomeness lying ahead of you. I'm jealous.

Me too. I watched them all in such a short space of time. :( I've recommended it to so many people and they're all like "oh yeah, that sounds good" but then when I see them again they haven't watched it at all. IDIOTS.

I watch a LOT of US TV, I scour the torrents every day for new pilots and the like and check out most new stuff.

Breaking Bad is the best show of the past 10 years. Fuck The Wire with it's weak 2nd season. There has never been an episode of BB that felt like filler or was anything less than superbly written and acted. Constantly surprise is what I love most about it tho, when you watch as much stuff as I do you normally predict a full episode of anything 5 minutes in, not with BB.

Superb. Can't wait for Series 5.

I watch a LOT of US TV, I scour the torrents every day for new pilots and the like and check out most new stuff.

Breaking Bad is the best show of the past 10 years. Fuck The Wire with it's weak 2nd season. There has never been an episode of BB that felt like filler or was anything less than superbly written and acted. Constantly surprise is what I love most about it tho, when you watch as much stuff as I do you normally predict a full episode of anything 5 minutes in, not with BB.

Superb. Can't wait for Series 5.

'Fly' and the end of the season 2 says otherwise

I adore this show but they are the little down points for me. Mainly being a little factious towards your retared Wire comment.

I've just got through all 4 seasons in the past 6-8 weeks. It's been fucking brilliant. I have to say I'm a little depressed that I've got none left to watch now though. It's been almost a nightly routine to get stuck into an episode or 5. Walt's character has got to be one of the best tv/film creations of all time. What is there to fill my time till season 5 now? I've watched a few US tv shows including The Wire. Is there anything else that is fairly serious drama that matches either of The Wire or Breaking Bad?

I've just got through all 4 seasons in the past 6-8 weeks. It's been fucking brilliant. I have to say I'm a little depressed that I've got none left to watch now though. It's been almost a nightly routine to get stuck into an episode or 5. Walt's character has got to be one of the best tv/film creations of all time. What is there to fill my time till season 5 now? I've watched a few US tv shows including The Wire. Is there anything else that is fairly serious drama that matches either of The Wire or Breaking Bad?

I've done exactly the same. I've just watched the end of season 4 and I felt like an utter cunt. I had been routing for Gus, but Walt pulls through, he preserves his humanity, some how. It made me realise Gus was utterly lost and Walt was clinging onto what ever sense of himself he could muster. I wish they fully explained Gus's past in Chile, I bet he was brutal. The final line of season 4 could have ended the whole thing. My word, what an amazing culmination of creative worth.

I have watched Mad Men and if you haven't it is really worth watching. I also haven't watched the Wire which I will be watching after Man Men and Game of Thrones.

It only died on UK television because the ancient distribution network failed so painfully badly that everyone had already torrented it. I'm convinced a DVD/BD release would do just fine.

And it was shown on a digital channel that a lot of people still didn't have at that time, and I think quite late at night, and with no fanfare. Compare the treatment of Homeland on C4 and you can see why one has succeeded and the other not.

A C4 slot and a bit of promotion and I'm sure this show would have been a hit. What's an average audience rating for a popular 5USA programme? I imagine it's still pretty low. I don't even check the listings for that channel. Very few shows that aren't on the main BBC or C4 channels get massive viewing figures. Even hits like Game of Thrones only get around 500,000 viewers compared to Homeland's 2 million.

I've now got my girlfriend addicted to this. She's been watching an episode a night of the first season. I'm quite jealous of her watching it from the beginning for the first time, even though I only did that myself a few months back.