14 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

That was bloody awful. The minute Todd the Hutt appeared the whole thing lost all credibility. There were some interesting ideas but the execution was like a David Lynch film directed by Barry Chuckle.

Ok so that was the brief, late night, deeply disappointed reaction.

Spoiler

I've chewed it over and my disappointment remains. I will watch it again at some point but with reservations.

My feelings may have been exacerbated by the wife and I watching the last few episodes of Season 5 again over the last few nights in preparation. One comment that I made during the last episode, as Jessie was throttling Todd to death, was "That wee prick was needing that". He was bearable but after everything he had done Jessie's fury was quite cathartic. So when his voice was heard in El Camino i was OK with it. When he was glimpsed through the bars it was obvious the guy had pilled the weight on. I'm no fucking slim Jim but when you could see his belly hanging out of his shirt through the bars it totally broke my immersion. This wasn't helped by us being expected to believe that Jessie was happily cutting about with a child killer during the last few episodes of Breaking Bad. This being the same Jessie who had been shown as a blubbering mess while describing Todd murdering the boy on the bike "As if it was nothing" on the tape that Hank and Gomez made just prior to his capture by Uncle Jack's gang.

By the time Walt appeared I was so uninvested in the whole thing that it barely registered.

Basically too much Todd. Not enough Mike.

They need to leave it alone, finish the still excellent Better Call Saul and walk away before they do any more damage to the original series reputation.

45 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Ok so that was the brief, late night, deeply disappointed reaction.

Hide contents

I've chewed it over and my disappointment remains. I will watch it again at some point but with reservations.

My feelings may have been exacerbated by the wife and I watching the last few episodes of Season 5 again over the last few nights in preparation. One comment that I made during the last episode, as Jessie was throttling Todd to death, was "That wee prick was needing that". He was bearable but after everything he had done Jessie's fury was quite cathartic. So when his voice was heard in El Camino i was OK with it. When he was glimpsed through the bars it was obvious the guy had pilled the weight on. I'm no fucking slim Jim but when you could see his belly hanging out of his shirt through the bars it totally broke my immersion. This wasn't helped by us being expected to believe that Jessie was happily cutting about with a child killer during the last few episodes of Breaking Bad. This being the same Jessie who had been shown as a blubbering mess while describing Todd murdering the boy on the bike "As if it was nothing" on the tape that Hank and Gomez made just prior to his capture by Uncle Jack's gang.

By the time Walt appeared I was so uninvested in the whole thing that it barely registered.

Basically too much Todd. Not enough Mike.

They need to leave it alone, finish the still excellent Better Call Saul and walk away before they do any more damage to the original series reputation.

Spoiler

the threat of meth Damon killing another kid was clearly enough to make him hang around, I mean he had a gun at one point and couldn’t shoot him so not sure there is any issue with that bit.

I want a second watch, I enjoyed it and glad it didn’t tarnish any of the BB ending - I really want another spin off ‘The adventures of Badger and skinny Pete’

On 12/10/2019 at 12:18, Anne Summers said:

Hide contents

I did get a bit annoyed with Jesse being so willing to hand over every last penny he had to Hoover Repair Guy, just for a lift to Alaska in a hidden compartment in a truck. But apart from that, this was a really nice epilogue to the show. 

Spoiler

Whole new identity as well, wasn't it? I imagine they don't come cheap if you want a proper job doing.

5 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

"More damage"

They haven't done any damage to it at all. Even if you didn't like this, it's hardly taken a big shit on BB, it's cannon or where the story was left. It's not like 90% of the people watching it are coming out and shitting all over it, most reaction seems positive.

Didn’t even know they were making this until a colleague mentioned it last week. Just finished watching and thought it was pretty good. Some genuinely tense scenes and a satisfying conclusion to Jesse’s arc. Didn’t have an issue with Todd and Jesse looking bigger and older, can’t see what else they could of done about it. Glad I watched it/10.

It was like a weaker episode of Breaking Bad stretched to the wrong aspect ratio.

I quite liked it. Although it felt like about half of it was self-contained no-stakes stories that they'd probably intended for a little web series between seasons during the original run.

I'm not sure if it's just how it was shot but was the diner scene a massive CGI fest? De-aging Jesse and baldifying Walt?

Do you know what it was better than? The lazier episodes of BCS.

Well that was... okay. It felt more like a way for the audience to properly say goodbye and get some closure on the Jessie character, rather than anything particularly compelling in its own right. In that respect I think it delivered, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I think it was worth watching but not worth making. 

Spoiler

The ending scenes i caught in the curryhouse..having now watched the whole thing i don’t think they were earned. They felt like they would have fitted a journey that to reach that point was more dramatic and intense than what we got. I love Jesse as a character and loved the show, i just didn’t get the feels it seems like i should have got with early season 2 Walt still a guiding father to Jesse giving him advice or some closure with his dead girlfriend. 

It didn’t feel like a film, it felt like two and 1/2 episodes combined, it didn’t have any thrust, i wasn’t remotely hooked, but i admired the cinematography and music and enjoyed the interaction between characters. I can barely remember details of the series tbh to even consider what else they could have done. It’s a low key series of things happening, like the show was. If it went bigger it might have veered into being a total disaster. 

Totally different viewpoint from me, I was totally sucked back into the world of Breaking Bad and loved (almost) every second of it. 

It would be better if it wasn't so focused on one person, since Jesse had ended up in such a horrible situation at the end of BB. I think they made the most of it though. 

5 minutes ago, Percy Filth said:

Totally different viewpoint from me, I was totally sucked back into the world of Breaking Bad...

I didn’t like the film but it did get me to start watching S1 again. That was yesterday. I’m now well into S2...

On 11/10/2019 at 22:41, Stigweard said:

I thought it was a really good redemptive epilogue for the show and Jessie.

except for the bit where he

Spoiler

killed 2 men for money :lol: 

I did enjoy it though, really liked everything with creepy creepy meth damon.

Maybe I should check out Better Call Saul S2-4.

do iiit!

I like that Vince Gilligan has a real thing about the people who do the meat and potatos jobs in criminal enterprise. The Welders and Diggers and Cooks.

On 20/10/2019 at 22:57, grindmouse said:

I thought that was a great little epilogue for Jessie. Good stuff.

Maybe I should check out Better Call Saul S2-4.

Do! It only gets better and better, and bingeing is definitely the way to enjoy it since it’s such a slow burn. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm about 12 years behind the curve (after the last mega show "Lost" which felt like a complete waste of time overall, so I was always hesitant to starting a new series with such a large episode base) but we started watching this during December and finished the series and the film last night. 

What a ride. Glad I waited for Netflix and HD streaming rather than borrow DVD's off folk over the years. The only negative observation was the 5.1 audio, series 1 was fine, but from series 2 onwards the dialogue dropped in the mix, and at times it was whisper quiet to the point to activate subtitles!

Otherwise its all good. Great characters, all of them. Loveable Jessie and his gang the highlight. The film was worth it for the Skinny and Badger bromance house sequences. We've not rooted for a single character like Jessie in such a long time. 

The best thing about the show was the fact that it wasn't overproduced or musically overscored with shitty incidental music. Actors allowed to act, the stony silence of the background just brought the drama forward so much more. Bravo, I wish more drama was like this.

The writing was superb, although I have to admit that I got lost over the

Spoiler

poison cigarette shenanigans

What is the verdict on Better Call Saul, similarly worth the investment in time?

22 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I'm about 12 years behind the curve (after the last mega show "Lost" which felt like a complete waste of time overall, so I was always hesitant to starting a new series with such a large episode base) but we started watching this during December and finished the series and the film last night. 

A friend of mine loved Lost and faithfully watched every minute of it but was very clear that, having not dipped into any of it at all when it first broadcast, I should in no circumstances waste my time with it in retrospect. I always appreciated the amount of time this saved me (to, um, fritter away on other pointless things instead, but still).

Anyway, both BB and BCS are absolutely worth the time, yes. Note that BCS is very different - a much slower burn, focused on the characters rather than their escapades.

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

What a ride. Glad I waited for Netflix and HD streaming rather than borrow DVD's off folk over the years. The only negative observation was the 5.1 audio, series 1 was fine, but from series 2 onwards the dialogue dropped in the mix, and at times it was whisper quiet to the point to activate subtitles!

Otherwise its all good. Great characters, all of them. Loveable Jessie and his gang the highlight. The film was worth it for the Skinny and Badger bromance house sequences. We've not rooted for a single character like Jessie in such a long time. 

The best thing about the show was the fact that it wasn't overproduced or musically overscored with shitty incidental music. Actors allowed to act, the stony silence of the background just brought the drama forward so much more. Bravo, I wish more drama was like this.

The writing was superb, although I have to admit that I got lost over the

Hide contents

poison cigarette shenanigans

What is the verdict on Better Call Saul, similarly worth the investment in time?

BCS at times is better than BB but as said it’s a slower burn, from what you said about BB I think you will love BCS.