Breaking Bad

futureshock

I'm still a bit confused about...

Jesse and the cigarette packet. I'm trying to piece together how he came to the realisation in a moment when he's worrying about going to another place to lead a new life. It just seems too much of a coincidence, which I don't want it to be. How did he work it all out in such a short space of time? If he just saw the cigarette packet and pieced it together without any real proof, why did Saul not just lie or make something up? He's usually great at that. Seems odd that if it was just coincidental evidence, that Saul would just come right out with it, gun pointed at him or not.

Wow, super intense

Isn't Walt Jr in the house? We were thnking Jr might get burnt but it's right to say there wasn't fire damage as such in the flash forwards.

So many great moments, the show keeps upping it's game. I need a beer now!

I'm still a bit confused about...

Jesse and the cigarette packet. I'm trying to piece together how he came to the realisation in a moment when he's worrying about going to another place to lead a new life. It just seems too much of a coincidence, which I don't want it to be. How did he work it all out in such a short space of time? If he just saw the cigarette packet and pieced it together without any real proof, why did Saul not just lie or make something up? He's usually great at that. Seems odd that if it was just coincidental evidence, that Saul would just come right out with it, gun pointed at him or not.

Jesse's pretty focussed on how manipulated he's been and has been doing a lot of thinking so it's fairly feasible he worked out quickly that Huell's light fingering wasn't the first time. But I agree, it was pretty quick thinking for someone who's been mid breakdown for the last few episodes.

I guess it's all part of the collapse of the whole house of cards that Saul can't keep it together either. He was trying to diffuse Jesse by telling him Walt had done it for Jesse's own good but Jesse is way past hearing those platitudes and they're more of a trigger than anything. I think the way that Bob O's face has completely changed to be genuinely suggesting he's had enough or that it's all gone beyond his control is very well done - any hint of cockiness gone

While Jesse is right about his conclusion, isn't he wrong about the specifics?

Yes, Walt poisoned Brock. But it wasn't with Ricin; it was with Lily of the Valley. That Ricin is still in the plug point at Walt's house.

He wanted Jesse to think it was ricin, so he could manipulate him into killing Gus. He obviously didn't want to kill the boy, so he used the Lily of the Valley instead.

So intense, never seen anything like it on TV before. Every moment was electric regret being so close to the end but god can't wait to get there!

This, basically. It might say more about the stuff I've seen than anything, but I genuinely think this is better than any TV show or movie I've seen before. It's just masterful.

very good episode, didn't want it to end there but anyway

yeah the whole jesse realising what has been happening was a bit confusing (it was in the first place back in season four as well really). I thought he figured the whole thing out a little quick..

as others have said, i imagine the house doesnt burn down due to those future scenes witnessed in the earlier episodes.

If it doesn't burn down (which it won't, as said), I can see Jesse either blurting everything out to Walt Jr, or one of Walt Jr/Jesse dying. RE: the realisation of the cig, he suspected Huell/Saul back in series four, plus the lighting up in the waiting room recently, plus lighting that joint/taking the bag out seemed more like bait than a need to smoke it, to me. I think actually realising he took it made all the suspicions finally click.

If it doesn't burn down (which it won't, as said), I can see Jesse either blurting everything out to Walt Jr, or one of Walt Jr/Jesse dying. RE: the realisation of the cig, he suspected Huell/Saul back in series four, plus the lighting up in the waiting room recently, plus lighting that joint/taking the bag out seemed more like bait than a need to smoke it, to me. I think actually realising he took it made all the suspicions finally click.

Yeah, this. Jesse already worked out exactly how he lost the ricin cigarette way back when it first happened, it's just that Walt convinced him otherwise. So with everything that's happened since, it only took one more little bit of circumstantial evidence - that Huell is in fact a deft pickpocket despite his clumsy appearance - for it all to click into place.

He wanted Jesse to think it was ricin, so he could manipulate him into killing Gus. He obviously didn't want to kill the boy, so he used the Lily of the Valley instead.

But...

Jesse knew that it was Lily of the Valley that poisoned Brock - he's the one who told Walter when the results came back, so I'm hard pressed to understand exactly what Jesse thinks that Walter did. Perhaps a fuller explanation will come next episode.

But...

Jesse knew that it was Lily of the Valley that poisoned Brock - he's the one who told Walter when the results came back, so I'm hard pressed to understand exactly what Jesse thinks that Walter did. Perhaps a fuller explanation will come next episode.

The ricin disappearing at exactly the time Brock got ill would be fishy to anyone, no? Even if Jesse was told it was Lily of the Valley, wouldn't it be rather simple, if he already had his doubts re: the ricin, to believe it was used to worry him? He's a relatively smart guy despite all the 'yo bitch' stuff. Plus Brock getting ill right at the point he was turning/realising who Walt truly was? What we didn't see is Jesse's walk back to Sauls, so for all we know he could've been thinking it over properly for a good hour or two before rocking up at the place.

The ricin disappearing at exactly the time Brock got ill would be fishy to anyone, no? Even if Jesse was told it was Lily of the Valley, wouldn't it be rather simple, if he already had his doubts re: the ricin, to believe it was used to worry him? He's a relatively smart guy despite all the 'yo bitch' stuff. Plus Brock getting ill right at the point he was turning/realising who Walt truly was? What we didn't see is Jesse's walk back to Sauls, so for all we know he could've been thinking it over properly for a good hour or two before rocking up at the place.

Also, Jesse had searched his entire house for the ricin cigarette and didn't find it. Then Walt shows up to help him look for it and he miraculously finds it in a place Jesse said he'd already looked? Jesse has worked with Walt for long enough to know how manipulative he is, so I don't think it's a stretch to have him figure it out now with the last piece of the puzzle in place (which was what happened with the ricin cigarette).

But...

He didn't know that initially. He actually told the doctor's to look for ricin poisoning and ended up being questioned by the police over it.

... the opening scene was needless?

Maybe they

already have, who knows where that appeared in the timeline? Todd was certainly speaking pretty openly about "Mr White" rather than Heisenberg, and "Jesse."

And yeah, I can kind of see why Jesse maybe could have possibly come to the conclusion he did, but it did feel a bit weird for a show that is normally so tight to have such a vague "discovery." Kind of felt like there needed to be something more for him to link A with B, but maybe it'll make more sense in future episodes.

Maybe they

already have, who knows where that appeared in the timeline? Todd was certainly speaking pretty openly about "Mr White" rather than Heisenberg, and "Jesse."

And yeah, I can kind of see why Jesse maybe could have possibly come to the conclusion he did, but it did feel a bit weird for a show that is normally so tight to have such a vague "discovery." Kind of felt like there needed to be something more for him to link A with B, but maybe it'll make more sense in future episodes.

That's a good point about the timeline

Great episode, but I have to admit I didn't really follow what happened at the end.

A guy on Reddit wrote up this history of

the cigarette, the ricin etc.

Season 4

Walt needs Jesse on his side to get to Gus

Context: If you recall, Jesse is the one who tells Walt that Gus seems to have a big hatred for Hector "Tio" Salamanca, then Walt figured out how to plant the bomb on Tio, Gus died... etc etc

So Walt forms a scheme to get Jesse to distrust Gus.

Walt tells Saul to somehow extract the cigarette from Jesse. Thus Saul has Huell lift the ricin cigarette from Jesse's pocket (most likely by simply trading out the packs, dummy pack for the real one with the ricin).

Context: Originally Jesse was somewhat distrustful of Gus, Walt had hatched an earlier plan to have Jesse kill Gus with the ricin. But Jesse was befriended by Gus, and he eventually came to like the guy. Also, if you remember, Saul is frantic to get Jesse to his office, calling him over and over again. It was to get him in the office to get the cigarette off him.

Jesse now has a dummy pack of cigarettes. With this in mind, Walt now makes the moves to make Jesse distrust Gus. Walt takes his "Lilly of the Valley" extract and gives it to Jesse's girlfriend's young son Brock.

Context: Vince Gilligan, the show's creator, has stated several times that the writers have imagined Walt's delivery system as perhaps a doctored juice box or something of the like. Sneaking into Brock's school to place it in his lunch or even hand it to him would've been fairly rudimentary for a teacher.

"Lilly of the Valley" gives pneumonia-like symptoms that appear very severe (the same symptoms that ricin gives when killing someone). So Jesse thought that Brock was poisoned by the ricin. Jesse frantically searches in his cigarette pack only to find, ah! It's not there! (Huell took it!)

Jesse bursts into Walt's home, gun in hand demanding Walt to admit that he poisoned Brock with the now missing ricin. Important to note: Jesse says that Huell must have took it when he went to meet Saul.Jesse is no idiot, he was 100% right on his instincts. Walt claims ignorance, saying he has no reason to do so and he has no idea what Jesse is talking about (lying obviously). Through Walt's machinations, he convinces Jesse that it must have been Gus, who has hurt children before (Andrea's brother who shot Combo was killed by some of Gus' lower order thugs).

Jesse now doles out the details of Gus' hatred for Hector "Tio" Salamanca leading to Gus' eventual death via Walt's admittedly ingenious scheme.

At the end of season 4, the doctors at the hospital tell Jesse that Brock was not poisoned with ricin, but had consumed "Lilly of the Valley" berries in some shape or fashion. Jesse, taken aback, rationalizes with Walt that even though Gus didn't do it, he "had to go," although he is clearly still rattled.

Season 5A

Walt and Jesse go on a hunt for the missing ricin cigarette (although Walt knows exactly where it's at, and we're even shown Saul throwing the ricin cigarette back to Walt in a plastic bag, making a crack about Huell's "nimble sausage fingers"). Walt is just making a facade to make Jesse think the cigarette was simply misplaced. They "find" the ricin cigarette in Jesse's electronic vacuum (although it was Walt who placed it there).

Jesse breaks down in tears, realizing he almost killed Walt over this (as aforementioned when Jesse confronted him in season 4, saying he was the one who took the cigarette and poisoned Brock). Although in reality, the bastard did deserve it.

Season 5B

This episode! Jesse is ready to move on with his life, move to Alaska, and just leave ABQ. Saul tells Jesse he can't bring pot to the meet with his "guy." The guy won't be inclined to help a druggie disappear (sensible). Jesse defiantly and silently refuses to give up his stash. Saul leaves the room to get "money bags" and while he is out there he tells Huell to pinch Jesse's stash off him (rewatch the scene, you can actually see him snatch it from Jesse!).

Jesse is waiting at the stop, he searches his pockets, at first just simply realizing the pot isn't there. But he looks at his pack of cigarettes and realizes, holy shit, Huell took my pot just now... and they took the ricin just as I had originally thought. Walt has been bullshitting me ever since.

A guy on Reddit wrote up this history of

the cigarette, the ricin etc.

Season 4

Walt needs Jesse on his side to get to Gus

Context: If you recall, Jesse is the one who tells Walt that Gus seems to have a big hatred for Hector "Tio" Salamanca, then Walt figured out how to plant the bomb on Tio, Gus died... etc etc

So Walt forms a scheme to get Jesse to distrust Gus.

Walt tells Saul to somehow extract the cigarette from Jesse. Thus Saul has Huell lift the ricin cigarette from Jesse's pocket (most likely by simply trading out the packs, dummy pack for the real one with the ricin).

Context: Originally Jesse was somewhat distrustful of Gus, Walt had hatched an earlier plan to have Jesse kill Gus with the ricin. But Jesse was befriended by Gus, and he eventually came to like the guy. Also, if you remember, Saul is frantic to get Jesse to his office, calling him over and over again. It was to get him in the office to get the cigarette off him.

Jesse now has a dummy pack of cigarettes. With this in mind, Walt now makes the moves to make Jesse distrust Gus. Walt takes his "Lilly of the Valley" extract and gives it to Jesse's girlfriend's young son Brock.

Context: Vince Gilligan, the show's creator, has stated several times that the writers have imagined Walt's delivery system as perhaps a doctored juice box or something of the like. Sneaking into Brock's school to place it in his lunch or even hand it to him would've been fairly rudimentary for a teacher.

"Lilly of the Valley" gives pneumonia-like symptoms that appear very severe (the same symptoms that ricin gives when killing someone). So Jesse thought that Brock was poisoned by the ricin. Jesse frantically searches in his cigarette pack only to find, ah! It's not there! (Huell took it!)

Jesse bursts into Walt's home, gun in hand demanding Walt to admit that he poisoned Brock with the now missing ricin. Important to note: Jesse says that Huell must have took it when he went to meet Saul.Jesse is no idiot, he was 100% right on his instincts. Walt claims ignorance, saying he has no reason to do so and he has no idea what Jesse is talking about (lying obviously). Through Walt's machinations, he convinces Jesse that it must have been Gus, who has hurt children before (Andrea's brother who shot Combo was killed by some of Gus' lower order thugs).

Jesse now doles out the details of Gus' hatred for Hector "Tio" Salamanca leading to Gus' eventual death via Walt's admittedly ingenious scheme.

At the end of season 4, the doctors at the hospital tell Jesse that Brock was not poisoned with ricin, but had consumed "Lilly of the Valley" berries in some shape or fashion. Jesse, taken aback, rationalizes with Walt that even though Gus didn't do it, he "had to go," although he is clearly still rattled.

Season 5A

Walt and Jesse go on a hunt for the missing ricin cigarette (although Walt knows exactly where it's at, and we're even shown Saul throwing the ricin cigarette back to Walt in a plastic bag, making a crack about Huell's "nimble sausage fingers"). Walt is just making a facade to make Jesse think the cigarette was simply misplaced. They "find" the ricin cigarette in Jesse's electronic vacuum (although it was Walt who placed it there).

Jesse breaks down in tears, realizing he almost killed Walt over this (as aforementioned when Jesse confronted him in season 4, saying he was the one who took the cigarette and poisoned Brock). Although in reality, the bastard did deserve it.

Season 5B

This episode! Jesse is ready to move on with his life, move to Alaska, and just leave ABQ. Saul tells Jesse he can't bring pot to the meet with his "guy." The guy won't be inclined to help a druggie disappear (sensible). Jesse defiantly and silently refuses to give up his stash. Saul leaves the room to get "money bags" and while he is out there he tells Huell to pinch Jesse's stash off him (rewatch the scene, you can actually see him snatch it from Jesse!).

Jesse is waiting at the stop, he searches his pockets, at first just simply realizing the pot isn't there. But he looks at his pack of cigarettes and realizes, holy shit, Huell took my pot just now... and they took the ricin just as I had originally thought. Walt has been bullshitting me ever since.

This is a good explanation, but it was a bit of awkward writing to force Jesse to have a moment of realisation in this episode. And it's not really helped that what happened in Season 4 never really made much sense to start with:

- When Jesse realised he had lost his ricin, why was his first thought that Walt had taken it? At the time there was no reason for Walt to poison Brock, and if he had wanted to we know Walt is quite easily capable of making some more. The only reason to fear that the ricin was involved would be the fear that somehow Brock had got hold of the cigarette himself because of Jesse being careless with it.

- For much the same reason: why would he think that Gus had taken it? If Gus wanted to poison Brock he too is capable of obtaining his own poisons.

- Why DID Walt even take the ricin? Poisoning Brock could have prompted the exact same suspicion from Jesse without the risk of having to go through with having it stolen from Jesse.

Also, now that he has realised he was right that Walt took the ricin, what does Jesse actually think happened? He knows from the doctors that it wasn't ricin poisoning, so has he worked out the full explanation?

I wonder if it will end as some kind of ever repeating story. Gus took over as the head of the area after taking out key people. Walt did the same and maybe Todd will again do the same. A never ending story of someone working their way to the top only to be toppled by their protege.

Also couldn't see this posted but Dean Norris aka Hank 'spoils' the end of Breaking Bad in this video.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/636264ec55/dean-norris-spoils-breaking-bad

I think it ricin cigarette was key to Walt's deception because he wanted to make Jesse think that Gus knew about the cigarette - the one intended to kill him - all along. If Brock were poisoned with that particular cigarette it would a stone-cold message from Gus to Jesse saying, "I know you've been carrying this on you". This helps Walt because Jesse would realise that Gus isn't his mate after all.

Regarding Walt's motivations from Jesse's point of view, he says it's in revenge for Jesse getting pally with Gus and leaving Walt out.

Regarding Jesse's realisation, it didn't seem farfetched to me at all, given that he'd mostly worked it out in the past anyway, and has since been ruminating on how ruthless and manipulative Walt is. I like that Jesse worked it out because he finally has Walt figured out, rather than with some obvious reveal.