In praise of BBC iPlayer

Thread Owner

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still to use it as yet, but I think it is a stellar idea. I don't tend to watch commercial terrestrial TV and thanks to stupid atmospheric conditions I have missed loads of BBC recently.

Personally I think that the BBC website is one of the best available, especially the sport section. Sites that are plastered in adverts like MSN and Sky do my loaf in. :D

It's a great idea that's quite badly implemented.

If anyone here has tried 4oD it's MUCH better - better quality, faster, and a much much MUCH better interface for finding programmes.

The BBC radio player is ace, but has been around a lot longer. I hope there's a good legal reason that you don't get a scrubber on the radio player though?

Lastly- why are BBC podcasts (which contain no full music tracks) only available in the week they're broadcast. If you miss one, you can't go back and get it, unlike loads of other podcasts on iTunes that allow you access to their full back catalogue...

The BBC radio player is ace, but has been around a lot longer. I hope there's a good legal reason that you don't get a scrubber on the radio player though?

Is my understanding that the scrubber Edith Bowman has been on the BBC's radio player for some time.

But seriously the listen again features, across BBC1 and 1Xtra are great IMO.

So, I was at the UCC Journalism Conference the other day, and James Cridland, the "Head of Future Media & Technology" for the Beeb was talking there. He made an enthusiastic plug of the iPlayer, making me think "ooh, it might be available here now!", and then pointed out that it is, indeed, unavailable in the Republic. Fecker.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anone know why iPlayer never has any football? No FA cup, match of the day or even football focus.

But does have Six Nations Rugby

It will have to do with licensing with the FA and Barclays. Their agreements will only allow the highlights to be shown a certain number of times.

Just had a quick read through of this thread. Just to clarify about the need for a TV License, you do NOT need it for any of the following:

Playing games or watching DVDs through a TV

Using the iPlayer, 4oD or the ITV replay thing (either download or streaming) including if it's played back through a TV via s-video etc.

Listen to any form of radio

Visiting any of the BBC's websites

I've had to put up with a stupid amount of my mates' wrong assumptions about this when I moved into my flat and didn't get a TV License. Check the website if you like, but the above is totally correct.

Also, iPlayer is ace, I'm using UKNova much less these days.

• 9 months later...
The BBC have rolled out a beta version their new version of iPlayer, which is Adobe AIR-based and works on both Mac and Linux.

Edit: To download, activate Labs and download from here (I couldn't find that link anywhere :x)

Edit 2: I don't really understand how to use it. I may be being thick.

I don't get it either. I've downloaded the app. I have a Mac. I'm usually good at the internet, too.

Apparently they're working on a mac version of the whole torrent-based software so you can download rather than stream, I have literally no idea how they'll manage it but YAY.

Oh, and I think in the grand scheme of things, it's not costing the BBC loads, but ISPs hate it. Legal torrenting, that actually uses their networks to their full capability? IT CANNOT BE ALLOWED