In praise of BBC iPlayer

Thread Owner

Despite the license fee not supposed to be financing the website (IIRC), I'd be happy to know some of my money went to the iPlayer. Been using it to listen to the radio for forever, but now tv shows too? Marvellous! Shame it now has the rather stark pink and black colourscheme heh.

Who says this? What would the website be without the shows?

I have no source, it's just in my mind for some reason. Probably read it on here hah ;) . Something along the lines of you have to have the license with a telly, but not if you just surfed the 'net.

The bbc website is way more than just about shows though.

Edited: A quick read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC#Internet indicates that there was some hoo haa about the amount of funding the website gets from the license, by competitors, so they're restricting it. Looks like I was talking bobbins, ah well, live and learn!

My line of thinking was that the shows are paid for with the license fee.

Kinda makes you wonder...why bother getting a TV license? I know you can't see everything on there, but then that's a bonus I would say.

Your computer now counts as equipment capable of receiving TV, so you still need to pay. Besides, if you're enjoying BBC content what's the problem with paying?

They can ask you to pay for a license because you have a PC and an internet connection now? Surely that's bullshit.

Yep, they can as Bushby said. Besides, seeing as most of us have a licence already for the TV we own (which already covers it) it isn't a problem, is it? Or are the majority here cheap students? ;)

Since when did this happen? I see it as a big problem if you don't want to watch TV...

You can actually own a TV and legally not pay the license, as long as you inform TV Licensing and keep it out of tune. I knew a student who only used his TV for gaming, and did just that.

EDIT: So presumably, there's a similar get-out clause for the internet.

Could be as simple as a centralised system where they trace the IP of the people who log onto BBC iPlayer?

That'd be a lot of hassle... they'd be better off making people log in with their license details.

My dad just told me you only need a license if you watch stuff as it is broadcast, and you're able to record things and watch them later without need for one. Madness surely? ;)

What is all this fuss about licenses, have I missed the point or have you guys missed the bit in the iPlayer FAQ where it clearly states this:

Will I need a TV licence to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer?

You do not need a television licence to watch television programmes on the current version of the BBC iPlayer.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed you can download stuff to watch within 30 days. And it's better quality. This is awesome. All it needs is the ability to automatically download future shows you queue up and it'll be the best thing ever.

EDIT: Downloading is P2P... and it's slow, so that's no good. Damnit!

havent tried the iplayer myself yet, but i would say www.tvcatchup.com is a great way to watch tv online anytime. again i think its uk only though, but it covers all the free to air channels. and as mentioned in the ps3 thread... it works on the ps3!