rllmuk
Chris303

Grand Designs

I didn't much like the house they ended up with. The windows in the gable end were horrible because they were wide yet started half way up the wall like normal windows... the effect made them look rather like office or warehouse windows, they seemed to have left the wood frame exposed because they ought to rather than for the aesthetic value (hence the crap quality sanding work on it), the chimney through the centre of the place seemed rather awkward ... there were nice bits like the high ceilings and fireplaces, but all in all I don't think I'd buy it off them at the end of the day.

I didn't much like the house they ended up with. The windows in the gable end were horrible because they were wide yet started half way up the wall like normal windows... the effect made them look rather like office or warehouse windows, they seemed to have left the wood frame exposed because they ought to rather than for the aesthetic value (hence the crap quality sanding work on it), the chimney through the centre of the place seemed rather awkward ... there were nice bits like the high ceilings and fireplaces, but all in all I don't think I'd buy it off them at the end of the day.

I agree with all of that. I thought the house looked ugly from the back, and the chimney was horrible (and I reckon Kevin thought so too).

Did anyone watch 'Grand Designs: Trade Secrets' on More4 afterwards, some of those Dutch thatched houses were amazing. The ones with the flat thatched walls did kind of look pebble dashed from a distance though.

The guy is an absolute idiot and he is making a monstrosity of a home. Normally I have sympathy for people on the show when the going gets tough but not when it is totally down to your own incompetency.

The guy is an absolute idiot and he is making a monstrosity of a home. Normally I have sympathy for people on the show when the going gets tough but not when it is totally down to your own incompetency.

lol

I don't get how they don't have money to find a normal home but had £50,000+ to spend on that awful place.

How can you outlay that amount of cash and not have a single plan drawn up?

Edit: £80,000!!!

So they can't afford a place in London - so they spend that amount of money on a shell of a house, that they got evicted from! Crazy!

Just MOVE out of London.

I think it is the first Grand Designs that actually made me angry.

The guy has a responsibility to his family to provide a home for them and all he did was have this hippy idea that they could build something off the cuff. They want to be environmentally friendly but they don't want to take the time to actually think about how this is possible. You can build anything with junk but you need to know how it is going to fit together. How are they actually going to intergrate the self sustaining elements into that project without further fucking it up?

It was not remotely fiscally responsible. They spent £80,000 on something that is worth absolutely nothing and I can see it never getting finished. They have essentially thrown money away, but hey its been fun doing it so who cares if the family don't have a proper place to live! Who in their right mind would start looking for a mooring 9 months into a project and in London?

It was not remotely fiscally responsible. They spent £80,000 on something that is worth absolutely nothing

This is the bit that made me sad/mad. When that foreign builder bloke took it on, and it became obvious (well, even more obvious) that the whole thing would be better off at the bottom of the Thames than floating on top of it. All that money, shiitted away.

It was a hilariously entertaining programme though. It was great to see Kevin return to form - the thing I admire the most about the guy is that he always says what he thinks, not in a nasty way, but he doesn't hold back from telling the truth. For most of this series there's been little for him to say bar "well you really are behind schedule / over budget" or "that's a bit of a risk isn't it?". Good to see he hasn't lost the ability to thoroughly denounce shit (absence of) design :unsure:

That pair were a right couple of loop-the-loops. Every discussion seemed to be

Kevin McCloud: *States the blindingly obvious*

Man: Nonononono. No. It will just happen.

Woman: Oh I'm SO optimistic! I have to live on this shitheap but I just don't care! *Manic giggling*

It was just awful wasn't it. For £80k they could have just bought a reasonable houseboat. But no, they have built the worlds ugliest floating shed out of corrugated aluminium and no boat yard will let them moor it.

I loved it when that bloke when round proding everything with that bit of wood to show how shoddy it was, then he pointed up at the roof:

"Can rain get in through there? ... ?"

I love how Kevin was so blunt about its shitness too:

"Not only do the windows ruin this side of the boat, but some of them should be in a skip"

and then at the end:

"There's my way - which is the right way - called design..."

Also, on "Trade Secrets" they showed about two seconds of some Shipping Container homes, which has reignited my desire to build a house out of old shipping containers. There are some great examples out on the web, like this one:

http://www.architectureandhygiene.com/12co...12con_main.html

Edit: or these:

http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/01/shipping_contai.php

http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/

These guys are a bit daft - changing so much of a design that was apparently 2 years in the making?

Pity the guy who gave him the one-off price. I wonder if he can argue that he quoted for one design but they're changing it to another.

EDIT: Just answered my question. They have to pay for any additional work.

They seem to be playing a bit of sensationalism in this series. The other week they made a big deal before it started and just into the show about the bank not lending them the money. 2 minutes later that had the cash, end of story.

This week they made a big deal about neighbours (mentioned it twice within 2 minutes at the start) but after a couple of interviews and talk about the leaking roof, that seemed to be it.

I imagine this will look better than that barge home last week.

EDIT2: So they had a lovely big bedroom that she decided to cut a study into it make the bedroom smaller but cosier?

I take it back - the neighbours are back! :)

It looked impressive but seemed such a mess of styles. A woman on Grand Designs: Trade Secrets just said they took this great open space full of light and managed to make it a bit dark & pokey.

I must say I was less than impressed with the design, although the views were very impressive. I think they lacked a bit of taste.

The new area seemed open and spacious, but the old part was a mess of small odd shaped corridors and rooms.

I thought Katrin was quite sexy though, if not a bit of a nightmare!

Kevin was bang on at the start - they needed a designer.

I expected the big doors to open out on to a grand deck and it just didnt. I think it is nice but could have been much better. Kitchen was the best bit really. Defi a missed opportunity.

I thought it ended up looking pretty tacky.

It kind of reminded me of the house built over the lake in Scotland from last series: fantastic views totally wasted by a lack of design expertise and flair.

I thought it ended up looking pretty tacky.

Yup, tacky coloured lighting. Tacky cowhide dining chairs. An aquarium - for fuck's sake, is there a clearer definition of tacky?

The also really, seriously, needed an architect. Someone who knew how to make use of the space properly, and get better light in there, and make more of the views (and convince the planning department to let them reinstate the original window designs).

I also can't believe the fuss the bloke made about the stairs being 3 inches out, when nothing else in the whole house seemed to be in the right place.