Grand Designs

3 minutes ago, Treble said:

I haven;t seen the programme yet. Is it this place?

87347766_ScreenHunter_01Oct_1713_13.thumb.jpg.49e64601d06449f38a6173dcbe32a20e.jpg

If so, i'm desperate to do some urbex around that bad boy! What a concrete monstrosity! :D

that's the place, and sure its a concrete horror now but its not like that is meant to be the final finish

28 minutes ago, Treble said:

Soz, maybe I misunderstood - I thought the guy ran out of cash, and owes a load of money to local craftsmen, no? Assumed the project was buggered.

I thought his main debt was several million to a hedge fund who he borrowed from when normal lenders all said no

Not sure about local people being owed

21 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Didn’t like this weeks when it was half built... like it even less now it’s finished.... looks like a metal shed from the outside and like a giant caravan from the inside...

That they have to clean the grime and moss off the corrugated aluminium every six months says it all.

I don't like the house at all by the airstrip, but it's clearly designed for the bat shit owners, it's not many to be for any of us.

Don't think she demonstrated all their uses either for that swinging bit of material near the kitchen area either.

it just looked weird...  you've got all that space so you build a thin tall building, and then whack an office in the top with minimum head room... the whole thing, especially the entrance and downstairs just felt incredibly cramped... where were the grand views? you've got all that glass, so what do you do? you stick it in the corner of your room so you've got a limited view out... its just bonkers, i get that its a semi active airfield, but come on.... 

couple with the fact they made the comment about being "debt free" .. i should blooming well hope so at their age! they're not springly 30 year olds

and yeah the swing  obviously had other uses ;)

I don't like the airfield house but I don't hate it either. There's areas that I quite like, the lounge and kitchen work well, I like the colour and even the abundance of glass, which usually isn't my thing, but downstairs is very, very static caravan and the studio floor is weird, more like a mezzanine stuffed where there wasn't the room to put it. The top and bottom of the building feel like they're too narrow. And outside it's hideous, like a cobbled together design made from 3 half baked architectural musings with horrible horrible cladding and details feeling like afterthoughts, such as the portholes. It's a building that you couldn't ever sell, or if you did it would be far cheaper than the size and fit and finish suggests, because it's so weird.

I also have to agree that the fabric swing has undoubtedly seen some stains. She was getting too excited just sitting in it.

House of the Year special last night.

Liked the Somerset barn/chalet but for a single thing - the wood. It was completely suffocating. I love wood, my dad was a carpenter and joiner so it kinda feels like it was bred into me, but it's one of those things where a little goes a long way. The moment it becomes dominant and monolithic it becomes far too much. Also I always think it comes off as very 70s.

Hated the Sussex thing. Fussy stupid roof, ugly, garden too much like an allotment.

Liked the outside of the Stockyard, one of the few buildings to take an agricultural facade and make it work, but kinda felt like the inside was more like a geometry puzzle of how to make a cube full of cubes interesting. Also felt like some of the rooms were oddly cramped.

Always liked the shipping container house in Norn Iron. 

And the Rothschild folly is hideous. Only thing going for it is the workmanship of the flint, and even that is undermined by the fact that owner can afford to patronise a dying skill and ultimately as it's not too everyone's taste (I personally hate it) it's a niche skill. Otherwise it's a hideous horrible lump of a building with weird juxtaposition between it's modern design and the old fashioned taste of the interior. Horrific eyesore.

On 17/10/2019 at 13:19, Gotters said:

that's the place, and sure its a concrete horror now but its not like that is meant to be the final finish

This is down the road from me it's horrible the main contractor went bust because of it .

It needs finishing one way or another 

14 hours ago, denisb said:

This is down the road from me it's horrible the main contractor went bust because of it .

It needs finishing one way or another 

yeah the fact somebody lost their own livelihood (plus the knock on impact for his own employees/subs and creditors) as a result of this dick over extending himself is awful

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone else catch tonight’s new episode? Stunning looking house, although the cost!! It’ll be interesting to see how the pandemic impacted the builds throughout this season. 

45 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Anyone else catch tonight’s new episode? Stunning looking house, although the cost!! It’ll be interesting to see how the pandemic impacted the builds throughout this season. 

I mostly enjoyed the increasing mix of bemusement and disgust from my wife as the chap revealed more and more toffyness.

He was a proper twat. I enjoyed the bit at the end where he revealed his new partner. I so wanted Kev to ask her, 'what first attracted you to the millionaire property developer...'

11 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

He was a proper twat. I enjoyed the bit at the end where he revealed his new partner. I so wanted Kev to ask her, 'what first attracted you to the millionaire property developer...'

The way he called out to her I thought he had another dog to go with Thunder.

It did end up as a fairly gaudy monument to money, full of all the tacky extravagances you'd expect. The dining area had the ambience of an overpriced Thai restaurant in Dubai. We thought the old house looked remarkably poky too and certainly not reflective of the amount of money spent on it. I just can't get behind these episodes when it's not a plucky underdog battling away to live a nice life in a modest hut, but watching the latest eccentric offspring of an aristocratic dynasty lavish money plucked out of thin on a wildly over-specced tribute to themselves. I suppose he at least had the humility to admit it was expensive, but knowing you could always pop to your cousin's digs if it all went to shit must be a comfort. I'd imagine they probably had a spare bed somewhere.

The only redeeming quality was that he made his son play with a cardboard toy that looked like something you'd find under a Christmas tree circa 1950. But that was probably for the camera too.

I don't know if it was an editing or pandemic inspired choice but the episode spent a lot of time on the groundworks (which were interesting) and then very little on the house going up (which probably was last year and harder to film).

I just don't get the finances on this one, he was borrowing millions which on an affordability basis meant he needed to secure against assets beyond a terraced house nearby,  or show income to cover - does an extreme fishing trips business with no customers make that much money ? A couple of million even on interest only basis at 2% is generating over £3k of payments a month.

I know Grand Designs has always focussed on the architecture and process and doesn't deal with the gaucheness of such things like final value - but it would be nice to have some idea of does he actually have something worth anywhere near what it cost to construct, that location will put a lot of people off if ever he needed to sell.

Finally what was with the double skin fencing in the garden, was it to keep ghosts out ?

It looked like a great house at the end but Jesus H Christ, £4.5 million? What a waste of money. And little Timmy was off at boarding school most of the time anyway. 

I liked the fact that he wanted a gate leading from his garden into the cemetery, so that he could go in at night for unspecified purposes. 

People are weird like that. My house backs onto allotments, and one of my neighbours put a gate in his back garden so he could go in and out of the allotments at will, even though he doesn’t have a plot and doesn’t have any real justification for going in. 

I thought the house looked very well built, high quality finishes in the construction, and had an interior designer touch in the living rooms that were shown.

No bloke who lives on his own has that many scatter cushions and chairs strewn around all the place. There were at least 10 chairs in the dining room then the reading room area he showed had all manner of 2 seater sofas and seats - how many places can he need to sit.

Given my daughter has spent a billion hours playing The Sims 4, we might give this a go, 183 episodes on All4, I haven't seen it since the 90s. Any must see memorable episodes we should try first?

2 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Given my daughter has spent a billion hours playing The Sims 4, we might give this a go, 183 episodes on All4, I haven't seen it since the 90s. Any must see memorable episodes we should try first?

the October 19 one discussed up page is a doozy

On the niche topic of people building gates in odd places, there's a stretch of waterway that runs near me that Thames Water allow you to stroll alongside, let your dog have somewhere to shit, a nice spot to get quietly hammered on super strength cider etc. Well anyway, someone's house backs right onto it and they've built a home office at the foot of the garden with a little door that opens onto the massive iron fences with spikes on top you see along railway sidings. I'd always wondered why they installed a door onto essentially a cage. It wasn't until I was walking past one evening did I realise that they'd sawed through the fence and popped some hidden hinges onto it to give themselves a private access door onto an enormous stretch of green space. They've probably got the biggest garden in North London. I guess the only drawback is being constantly on edge about getting spotted.

12 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I believe there is a 'best of' or Grand Designs revisited episode aired in the last couple of years which may be a good place to start.