rllmuk
Chris303

Grand Designs

Yup... really didn't like it....although I did liek the space in between the two buildings... but the buildings themselves... dark and horrible... 

you'd think with a woodland setting you'd want as much light as possible due to the shade and also it's a wood, the trees are the focal point so it might be nice to see them...

i didn't like the place but think I'd rather have lived in it than the curly sauna the week before

I know once you go bespoke and custom build it becomes very personal but can't fathom why you'd limit your windows and light, beautiful shadow of a tree or a porthole in the ceiling is never going to compensate, for my tastes anyway, for a bloody great set of floor to ceiling sliding or bifold doors. Only reason you limit windows is because something is overlooked.

Yeah the previous weeks looked ace.. until you get inside....

why oh why do some of them like putting wood on the inside? It makes it look like the inside of an unfinished building or a bloody packing crate... wood on outside great, wood on inside crap (unless its 600 year old oak paneling in a great hall)

Caught up on this last night.  There were a couple of shots that showed their site was overlooked by another house further up the hill. Even so I didn't really get their extreme desire for privacy. The glass ceiling shower cubicle was super cool though. 

Better this week. Probably the best house overall this series I think.

It felt like a lot of money for what they actually had - they obviously had a lot of space which costs for every inch, they built it the hard way, and they said themselves they would pay for the best, but still... I think you could make that place for less and not spot the difference in your actual experience of living there. Sure a few rooms would be smaller but in real terms, I doubt you'd notice. 

But I can't deny they had a good house at the end of it all. As well as leaving them without a pot to piss in. Which has to be considered a success given that half way through it nearly turned into a pure folly.

Next week is going to unbearable. Enviro-hippy makes house with no money. I've seen enough hay bale used tyre mud houses on Grand Designs I think.

How did those self sustaining green folks live like that for years ?

Building that house seemed to be physically killing the bloke, every year he looked worse and worse and his teeth all seemed to be rotting, then what happens when you get too old to grow your own crops ?

It didn't seem very sustainable

• Upvote 1

I was completely perplexed by that build. 

I can understand wanting to build an eco-friendly home and using technology and techniques to lessen the impact of a build. But living like that achieves nothing. It's simply stroking their own ego through some kind of ritual abuse. His wife looked broken more than once and he aged about 15 years in 4. For nothing. Nobody is going to live like that.

Also... Where the fuck did the money go?! They said they'd spent £27k on it. How?! Are notes good for insulation? The wood, straw and glass would be a cost but surely not that much, the rest of the place was made of dirt and freebies and the labour was of the slave variety.

Utter madness. They've wasted 5 years of their life to mage a life they can't sustain. He'll be dead in another 5 at the rate he's aged and the wife and kids would be off.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone watching the Grand Design RIBA house of the year programmes? As usual, some beautiful homes are on show and Kevin's enthusiasm for modern homes and new ideas is palpable. 

The programme makes me wish houses were more like cars, in that the prototypes eventually become available (or at least the ideas), whereas new houses are still dominated by faux Victorian or Georgian pastiche. 

yep, I watch anything with Kevin Mc in it, and that bloke in glasses architect has a self build low rent Grand Designs series on more 4 too.

you basically watch the ep and rule out the most practical sensible homes from going thru as the judges always vote for the whimsical or design stuff, and never seem to judge them as homes.

On 31/10/2016 at 19:19, Chindie said:

I was completely perplexed by that build. 

I can understand wanting to build an eco-friendly home and using technology and techniques to lessen the impact of a build. But living like that achieves nothing. It's simply stroking their own ego through some kind of ritual abuse. His wife looked broken more than once and he aged about 15 years in 4. For nothing. Nobody is going to live like that.

Also... Where the fuck did the money go?! They said they'd spent £27k on it. How?! Are notes good for insulation? The wood, straw and glass would be a cost but surely not that much, the rest of the place was made of dirt and freebies and the labour was of the slave variety.

Utter madness. They've wasted 5 years of their life to mage a life they can't sustain. He'll be dead in another 5 at the rate he's aged and the wife and kids would be off.

I just saw a rebroadcast of this and then realised this was them: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-42589509

"One house, built at a cost of £27,000 over several years, was destroyed by fire in January 2018, with a total re-build estimate of £500,000. The house was not insured as construction had not been completed"

Christ on a bike.

7 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I just saw a rebroadcast of this and then realised this was them: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-42589509

"One house, built at a cost of £27,000 over several years, was destroyed by fire in January 2018, with a total re-build estimate of £500,000. The house was not insured as construction had not been completed"

Christ on a bike.

Come again?

How on earth would that place cost half a million quid to rebuild? 

In fairness the fire probably did them a favour. Building that place and living there seemed to be killing them.

5 hours ago, Steely said:

She looked properly fed up and very resentful of the build and him by the end. :lol:

She seemed an awful woman - the whole place and idea was hers in the first place, but she seemed the spoilt brat sort that hasn’t been told ‘no’ enough in her life.

watching Grand Designs makes me very judgmental.

• Upvote 1

Their initial 6 month schedule was stupid, the fact they did it in under a year in the end was surprising to me.

A 2 bedroom house with 2 kids is still fucking stupid. Just wait until the middle floor is full of plastic toys and the you can’t move in the kitchen for high chairs and I bet they’ll sell it on and get a big ass normal house. 

• Upvote 2

This week's was one of the worst they've ever done. Looked like a combination of a Fallout vault and 'place where the jigsaw killer keeps his victims'*. The science lab-inspired interior was the work of a psychopath, as bad as the design itself. 

They blew 1m quid on it in total including the land. Fucking hell!

*Or an SAS training facility. 

• Upvote 1

oh my that was truly a hideous piece of work - I guess you self build to get exactly what you want but who on earth would want that.

its like a nuclear bunker crossed with a 1970s library and was so dark and dingy.

even something as joyous and happy as a swimming pool looked unappealing and uninviting, it looked like something you'd dip sheep in. 

hideous, including the furniture.

• Upvote 1

:lol: Fuck me. That was truly awful. Not a single redeeming aspect that I could identify. I couldn't decide whether the concept or the execution was worse. Hope they saved some cash for the years of therapy the kids will need after living in that abomination.

Is there a more terrible creation that has emerged previously on GD? I haven't watched them very consistently over the years, so probably there is, but I certainly haven't seen one.

• Upvote 1

That was the absolute worst build I’ve ever seen in Grand Designs. Even worse than the sustainable treehouse those hippies spent 20yrs at a few years back. 

There is is no way those kids won’t wake up with nightmares constantly. 

GD has to know they were into a stinker with this one, probably why they rushed it on air a year early just so it could look even more like a crack den. 

• Upvote 2

I'm an admirer of Tadao Ando's work. His use of raw concrete has resulted in some breathtakingly beautiful buildings. I kind of see what the GD guy was going for with his house, but it failed because of the execution. The forms are lumpen, unfinished, and too rough. And that 'upcycled' kitchen was just hideous. 

11 minutes ago, Steely said:

Ok, maybe I've been exposed to too much Brutalist architecture by my architect friend (whose favourite building is the Hayward Gallery), but I don't think it was that bad.

image.thumb.png.abde0491d55a2f883aef49ab4d088777.png