rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

The Princess and the Frog

The first, official, picture has been released today.

princessandthefrog.jpg

This is Disney's first traditionally animated movie (Enchanted doesn't count) since the buy-out of Pixar and their decision to rescind their 'no 2D' stance after one too many flops. In another first this is the first black princess - some might say this is just a cynical way of breathing new life into their very lucrative Disney princess range of merchandise.

Set in the French Quarters of New Orleans during the 1920s this is a traditional Disney fairytale musical with talking animals. Written and directed by Ron Clements and John Musker (both responsible for Aladdin and The Little Mermaid) this project is in safe and experienced hands. Music is by Randy Newman so Disney will hope he can replicate the huge success he has had with doing music for Pixar.

This is set for a 2009 release and will be a big film for Disney's animation department especially as Pixar are releasing the potentially risky Up in the same year. If one does not perform the other may need to draw in the punters.

I'm really happy that the studio has decided to return to traditional animation I just hope this is the story that gets the medium back on track.

I'm not sure I totally buy the Don Quixote link. It could just be people jumping to conclusions because it is about an old guy who goes on adventures. The fact it is being directed by the man responsible for Monsters Inc. is very encouraging though.

Urgh, Monsters Inc. Loved the film, utterly depressed after watching it though.

I'll be interested to see how this does. I hope it's a success, it'll make a change to the glut of CGI stuff in the works.

I prefer 2D to the 3D stuff, but Disney have gone a long way from their second golden period in that regard. I'll keep a small amount of hope up for this one though, considering the people involved.

The picture is lovely, I'm actually kind of looking forward to this, at the very least its nice to think that 'home on the range' isn't going to be remembered as their last ever traditionally animated movie.

but it's just 2D animation DONE on a computer, surely?

No. Hand drawn, cleaned up, then coloured and composited digitally.

I am so looking forward to this. The Randy Newman thing doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. If they really want to recapture their 90s success, they need to get Alan Menken back on the case. Enchanted proves this.

It's odd really, this concept of the "Disney Princess" has become such a big deal only recently when there haven't even been any new Princesses in ages. Perhaps the lack of Princesses was part of the later 2D films' downfall.

Good to see this happening. I see they've gone super-traditional to re-introduce people to 2D animation, which is totally a good thing.

Going forward though, I hope they experiement a bit and take advantage of the many cool things that computers can now afford them.

Hmmm, looking forward to it. :lol:

The last semi decent disney film was Lilo and stich, before that I really liked Mulan.

But yeah, thumbs up from me! As much as I love Pixar, I do wish for some new 2d animation instead of always looking into Anime, which I am a big fan of.

Stop it with the pointless questions! ... "is it 3D 2D, done on a computer? is it CGI or is it traditional line art...is it this? is it that?"

DOES IT HAVE PHIL COLLINS SINGING IN IT??!

Only good/ok films from Disney that pop into my brain after Lion king are Mulan (I really like it), Hunchback of Notre dame (with one of the most memorable bad guy sequence in it, 'Like fire') and Lilo and Stich (it was new and refreshing).

Saw Tarzan for the first time last year, it was ok I guess, only for the bit that Tarsan learns english. Emporers New groove was a laugh.

Only good/ok films from Disney that pop into my brain after Lion king are Mulan (I really like it), Hunchback of Notre dame (with one of the most memorable bad guy sequence in it, 'Like fire') and Lilo and Stich (it was new and refreshing).

Saw Tarzan for the first time last year, it was ok I guess, only for the bit that Tarsan learns english. Emporers New groove was a laugh.

Beauty and the Beast is the best Disney movie.

You're joking! Beautiful animation and backgrounds, but only watchable on 'mute' thanks to the dreadful music.

Ive only watched it once, and i cant even remember any of the songs.. i cant say it bothered me much.

Whats this Pixars up all about? a 2d affair by the looks of it? nice. Im getting a little tired of all the 3d stuff.

Yeah Emperor's new groove is really good fun. Funny as hell as well, mainly thanks to Kronk who is amazing :lol:

Unfourtunatly the sequel - Kronks new groove, i thought they had missed the point entirely on what made Kronk so amusing.

Beauty and the Beast is the best Disney movie.

Definatly one of them, what I was saying before were the good ones that were made AFTER LK, not the best ever. Beauty and the Beast has great charaters, visuals, songs and story. Along with the best are Lion king, Little Mermaid, Sword in the stone and Jungle book.

Bambi is still the best Disney movie with Pinocchio a close second. Early Disney films just got it so right. They are beautiful to look at, have better song and are quite scary in places which is something later Disney pictures shied away from. For a kids film Pinocchio is pretty dark in places and I miss that in animated kids films now.

i wouldnt bother seeing it, kronk wa smy favorite character in the first film so i thought id at least give the sequel a watch. Its just not as good.. but this is a disney straight to dvd so no surprise really.