The Jazz Thread

Ben

Yeah Black Drops is very good, it's probably the most straight up jazz record of his that I own. The rest of his stuff (apart from Leaving This Planet) edges much closer to the Jazz Soul/Funk side of things.

It is extremely funky though so I'm not complaining. See Black Talk! for example

There's something deeply depressing about a Jazz thread only being 5 pages and a Hip-hop one being over 200.

It's just talking over other people's music!

Here's a lovely tune I found out about because of one of those ghastly hip hop artists.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Makaya Mccraven's "In the Moment" was recommended to me by a jazz-mad friend, and it is pretty much consuming all my playtime at the moment. Its so good, its the album you wanted Tortoise to made for years, and has a touch of Red Snapper to go with it. Highly recommended. It is all pieced together from random jams, made up on the spot and re-edited/produced into some order. 

Whole album is officially on YouTube...

I've been obsessed with Sounds of Liberation recently, their 1972 (only?) album. Title track is majestic. Grabbed a repress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots of great Jazz this year. Saw these guys last week - really good:

buy their new album. 

http://acidjazz.bigcartel.com/product/the-filthy-six-more-filth-cd-and-lp-pre-order

on a separate note can anyone recommend any decent jazz magazines, blogs or websites. I used to read Straight No Chaser and fancy taking up a magazine again but that is now defunct. There is Jazzwise and Jazz Times I think. Which is best?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to reading Miles Davis' autobiography.

It's absolutely hilarious, educational and such a candid insight into America.

He's as much representative of Black America as anyone. Absolute legend for how he stood up for himself even disregarding his music.

Also, his father sounds like a saint!

• 4 weeks later...

Good? I can't get in to his record as it's far too busy for me, in the same way I don't tend to like full orchestra recordings.

I thought so.  Second time I have seen him. Really good space-jazz. Quite funky. It was great to see him in a small venue (digbeth institute, last time was the Barbican).  He is a really phenomenal player. His band are guys he grew up with (his father and people from primary school) so the communication between them is great. Two drummers. 

I can can see what you mean about The Epic but I love it. Quite different from most contemporary jazz. 

I saw Dave Holland on Friday and Kamasi was very different but I loved both.  

Kamasi is pretty much the only act playing at a local festival (Love Supreme) this weekend that I'm really keen on seeing, but despite being on the guest list I don't think I can enjoy these painfully easy-listening, ultra middle class sanitised organic vegan festivals anymore. 

Recently a mate pointed out that Thundercat is playing at 'On Blackheath' near the end of the summer. The bill for that one is dreadful, Thundercat or no Thundercat.

I'm happy to accept that I'm not the demographic for these John fucking Lewis events anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ooh just seen the post about Nat Birchall's new album. I really liked the last one so will definitely be picking that up. Cheers Mr. The Hierophant.

Oh yeah, can't post in the thread without a Jazz offering! This won't be new to most jazz fans but it's always been one of my favourites. It's so obvious I feel almost stupid pointing it out, but how good was Joe Henderson?!

On 24/02/2016 at 16:11, The Hierophant said:

Well they were excellent as anticipated. I cannot recommend GoGo Penguin enough. 

Really modern jazz in the truest sense; properly influenced by contemporary music. Was it Miles Davis who said he didn't play "Jazz" he played "music". 

Popped into this thread because I was looking to see if there was something similar to Badbadnotgood  that somebody could recommend and have just given a GoGo Penguin (and a few other things as I work down this page) a listen. Listening to Fanfares on Bandcamp, mother of fuck are they awesome, that Charles Earland tune is a beaut too.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2 September 2016 at 05:38, lolly said:

Popped into this thread because I was looking to see if there was something similar to Badbadnotgood  that somebody could recommend and have just given a GoGo Penguin (and a few other things as I work down this page) a listen. Listening to Fanfares on Bandcamp, mother of fuck are they awesome, that Charles Earland tune is a beaut too.

@lolly if you like GoGo Penguin check out Mammal Hands.