The Jazz Thread

Ben

• 4 months later...

What makes him an average trumpeter? I adore the cool style so would be interested to hear some recommendations.

That probably sounds harsher than I meant it. I really like his music, but it's not based in the kind of musical virtuosity, or improvisational genius of people like Fats Navarro, Clifford Brown, or Dizzy Gillespie. It just wasn't really his bag. As to similar music, there's obviously a lot but the best place to start is by looking at the other people he recorded with. Most of them will have recorded albums with their own bands. That's true of all forms of jazz actually.

For instance he recorded a pretty good album with Art Pepper, Playboys I think it's called, and Pepper recorded some absolute classics under his own name.

• 1 month later...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/19/horace-silver-us-jazz-musician-dies

Another giant of jazz's most fertile period has passed. He lived to be 85 so it's hard to be too upset, but his death is a good excuse to remind ourselves of his incredible talent, both as an instrumentalist and a composer.

He was one of the pillars upon which Blue Note records built their success, and he helped create the hard-bop sound that dominated jazz during the late 50s and 60s. Most importantly, the songs he wrote were really really special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7YWmNsKJZ0

I'm sure few people will care about some old jazz pianist popping his clogs, but I'll be raising a glass to his memory tonight.

I love Horace Silver. Such a shame.

Matthew Halsall's new album is great.

I saw him play a few years ago and immediately bought his three albums. I wasn't that keen on his last album, Fletcher Moss Park, but the latest one is excellent. Can't stop listening to it.

That's a great track Mr. The Hierophant, definitely picking that album up. Very reminiscent of the classic Coltrane quartet (by which I mean Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones of course). I think it's the percussive piano accompaniment, as heard on My Favorite Things* amongst others.

*Obviously that album didn't include Jimmy Garrison but you know what I mean.

The sax is a chap called Nat Birchall he also has an album out on Gondawana, it's a while since I listened to it.

I really recommend Matthew Halsall.

Anyone listening to the new Neil Cowley album?

I am very interested in hearing about contemporary jazz artists. British if possible.

Yeah I did wonder if you'd already know Rahman. The Cynic was impossible to get hold of at one point (I bought it from the woman herself at that gig), but they must have re-released it when her other albums did OK.

Another contemporary British artist I used to try and see whenever I could (before I had kids) was Dave O'Higgins.

He plays pretty straight up hard bop, and is always great live. Actually that's not quite true, I saw him play about 15 years ago with Jimmy Smith. Smith had come over from the states on his own to play a jazz festival, he was really expensive so they weren't willing to bring his band over as well. They put together a band of British musicians to play with him including Dave O'Higgins. Unfortunately it became clear after a couple of songs that O'Higgins didn't know any of Jimmy Smith's tunes and kept missing the riffs and fanfares that the horn section was supposed to provide, much to the obvious annoyance of Smith. He kept berating him all the way through the first half of the set, and O'Higgins didn't emerge for the second half. It must have been absolutely mortifying. Anyway he got over it, and is definitely worth seeing.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/19/horace-silver-us-jazz-musician-dies

Another giant of jazz's most fertile period has passed. He lived to be 85 so it's hard to be too upset, but his death is a good excuse to remind ourselves of his incredible talent, both as an instrumentalist and a composer.

He was one of the pillars upon which Blue Note records built their success, and he helped create the hard-bop sound that dominated jazz during the late 50s and 60s. Most importantly, the songs he wrote were really really special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7YWmNsKJZ0

I'm sure few people will care about some old jazz pianist popping his clogs, but I'll be raising a glass to his memory tonight.

Oh dear, that is sad to hear.

Get down to Doin the Thing at the village gate and The Tokyo Blues, people.

Also some of the loveliest album covers too.

Poor old Horace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi, don't worry - nobody has died (to my knowledge).

I just got Galaxian by Jeff Lorber Fusion and it is awesome. Exactly my sort of jazz.

Can anybody recommend me some more jazz-fusion albums that are on spotify? I've been listening to Light as a Feather & Outubro by Azymuth,as well as some other Brazilian jazz. I've not got much else beyond Herbie Hancock, Donald Byrd, Grover Washington and George Duke. I'm looking for keyboard centric stuff - piano, organ and especially synths. Not too noodly, with strong melodies and funky grooves. Dig the latin & Brazilian flavours too.

Actually, probably the best thing to do would be to comb through the Discogs pages for the Mastercuts Classic Jazz Funk series, and see what tracks there are from there that you like which are subsequently on Spotify.

http://www.discogs.com/label/342190-Classic-Jazz-Funk-Mastercuts

They play a bit fast and loose with the definition of jazz funk imho, but also imho there has never been a better jazz funk compilation series than the seven in this collection. Though they are not on Spotify, no doubt many of the tracks are. Here's a favourite of mine from Volume 5, the album this is from (Rit, Vol 1) is on Spotify:

And also this one, it's not really what you are looking for I don't think, but you'll like it anyway I'm sure:

All good tunes guys, but I was specifically after full albums that I can stream on Spotify. I don't really have the time to dig around Discogs and Spotify to make playlists (though would happily subscribe if somebody else did the leg work!). I barely have chance to dig through my own vinyl and see which albums are on Spotify.

I have no idea what albums are on Spotify, sorry! You can't go wrong with Bob James though, naturally. One is superb, a real favourite of mine.

Maybe look for Lee Ritenour, Dave Grusin, Bobbi Humphrey, Johnny Hammond, Pat Metheney Group, Weather Report, Spyro Gyra...there will be stuff you'll like amongst those for sure.

One comp that I do know is on Spotify is When Jazz Meets Brazil, that's an essential and will be a nice touchpoint for other stuff for you.

Some that come to mind (that are likely to be on Spotify) are:

Milt Jackson - Sunflower (for the great version of People Make The World Go Round, also Herbie Hancock)

Luiz Bonfa - Jacaranda (for a whole slew of incredible players crafting magic, including Idris Muhammad & Airto Moriera)

Joe Farrell - Moon Germs (ridiculous quartet date with Stanley Clarke)

George Benson - White Rabbit (probably my favourite Brasilo-inflected fever dream)

Just realised that ^^^ those albums share plenty of personnel, the same year of recording (1972) and aside from the Luiz Bonfa are all CTI LPs, so should be up your alley..