The Jazz Thread

Ben

Dunno if anyone here like big band but I've always really liked Kenton's very strange Adventures in Time. Particularly Commencement, Quintile, Aretmis, and Aspect.

It genuinely feels like travel through time, style and space varying massively between almost classical formalism to cuban and latin sections. Some excellent solos on the Mellophonium too.

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2022 at 09:55, Festoon said:

Dunno if anyone here like big band but I've always really liked Kenton's very strange Adventures in Time. Particularly Commencement, Quintile, Aretmis, and Aspect.

It genuinely feels like travel through time, style and space varying massively between almost classical formalism to cuban and latin sections. Some excellent solos on the Mellophonium too.

I’m not sure if I like big band per se, but I really, really love Duke Ellington’s Far East Suite, especially Mount Harissa which is one of my absolute favourite songs.

13 hours ago, Camel said:

I’m not sure if I like big band per se, but I really, really love Duke Ellington’s Far East Suite, especially Mount Harissa which is one of my absolute favourite songs.

New Orleans Suite is great also; as is Black, Brown and Beige.

• 1 month later...

Who else is excited for the Kokoroko album release on Friday? It's their first album and I absolutely love everything they put out. 

Including the latest single from it:

Love it so much I'm off to the live performance and vinyl signing at rough trade east on Monday!

^^^^ I'll have to check that out.

Have been listening to DoomCannon and Binker & Moses a lot recently

and picked up the CDs of Moses Boyd's first album, and Theon Cross' latest today, which I didn't have

This recent BBC doc on UK Jazz is well worth a watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001770s/jazz-uk-spitting-fire

In short, there continues to be some amazing music coming out of the UK Jazz scene.

• 3 weeks later...

Was listening to Herbie on LP and reading comments on YouTube and a Gospel cover version of Trust Me was mentioned. It’s not as good as I had hoped and still has a vocoder vocal. On the plus side, this excellent live performance was a related video. Starts off smooth and ends with a sweet Hammond solo. The bassist and drummer are great too.

44 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

still has a vocoder vocal.

I don't mind a Herbie vocoder vocal, when done right. "I Thought It Was You" is a banger, for instance.

11 hours ago, Ste_S said:

I don't mind a Herbie vocoder vocal, when done right. "I Thought It Was You" is a banger, for instance.

And if you ever did want a version without the vocoder:

• 3 weeks later...

Recently been getting into jazz sacd after picking up headhunters

Picked up these 6 ((both stereo and multi-channel)

donald byrd - street lady / black byrd

chase

deodatto - deodato 2

george benson - body talk

weather report - tale spinnin

£11.99 each from Dutton vocalion and their service is fantastic

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk

1FB759F3-2155-424D-8D1D-FD7C7343C7F0.jpeg

On 24/04/2022 at 21:17, Dr Nookie said:

I just bought that on vinyl. 
It’s a double lp that comes with Hub Cap. 
It’s a 70’s reissue, very nice pressing, a bit tricky to get over here - think they were U.S. only. 

D25D136A-00F5-453F-8243-D872DA0E0F00.jpeg

I don't think it was ever actually released, making that the master version, I guess. Here to Stay is a killer album and Assunta is one of my favourites, but I do have a pang of disappointment each time I look at my copy and it's not the (I'm speculating) Reid Miles artwork. There's an incredibly dubious DOL re-release sporting the nice cover but it sounds like it was cut from a Limewire download from 2002 and as such mine became landfill. 

Talking of nice covers, I took delivery of this banger recently. I find the faded jazz stars recording weird albums on mainland Europe for anyone who'll let them to be an endlessly fascinating place to find records. Who in their right mind would think Thad Jones teaming up with some Danish sessionists to do a big band live album in Tivoli Gardens would bare such fruit.

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I don't think it was ever actually released, making that the master version, I guess. Here to Stay is a killer album and Assunta is one of my favourites, but I do have a pang of disappointment each time I look at my copy and it's not the (I'm speculating) Reid Miles artwork. There's an incredibly dubious DOL re-release sporting the nice cover but it sounds like it was cut from a Limewire download from 2002 and as such mine became landfill. 

Talking of nice covers, I took delivery of this banger recently. I find the faded jazz stars recording weird albums on mainland Europe for anyone who'll let them to be an endlessly fascinating place to find records. Who in their right mind would think Thad Jones teaming up with some Danish sessionists to do a big band live album in Tipoli Gardens would bare such fruit.

Welcome back by the way.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Talking of nice covers, I took delivery of this banger recently. I find the faded jazz stars recording weird albums on mainland Europe for anyone who'll let them to be an endlessly fascinating place to find records. Who in their right mind would think Thad Jones teaming up with some Danish sessionists to do a big band live album in Tivoli Gardens would bare such fruit.

I’m a big fan of Luana and Plexus from Hub Cap and Father and Son from Here to Stay. As you say - great album. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's so sad. I was supposed to see him a few years ago and he had to bail because of ill health and he didn't perform live very often anyway. With these old dudes you need to grab any opportunity you can with both hands. Considering all the styles he played in he never compromised. The stuff he did with Norman Connors which involved a grab at relevance a lot of jazz guys did at the time was still magical music and way better than it should have been. It's a shame so much of it is out of print though as every home deserves a copy of Harvest Time.

On 26/09/2022 at 11:18, David Kenny said:

Sad news. He was such a unique voice in jazz. My favourite recording of his, or at least the one I've listened to more than any other, is probably Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchidananda.

Such beautiful, soulful, playing. 

I loved the album he did last year with Floating Points, in fact it was my favourite album that year. I still listen to it quite a bit, there’s a wisdom and calmness to it that could only be the work of an artist of his maturity and stature. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I loved the album he did last year with Floating Points, in fact it was my favourite album that year. I still listen to it quite a bit, there’s a wisdom and calmness to it that could only be the work of an artist of his maturity and stature. 

I'm not aware of that one. Will check it out, thanks.

• 2 months later...