The Jazz Thread

Ben

I went to watch the Greg Foat group in Bristol last night, first show I've attended since before plague world. 

Damn I had a good time. Greg was playing a really dirty sounding Rhodes and surrounded by synths. Octogenarian orthopedic surgeon UK Jazz legend Art Themen was blowing saxes tenor & soprano, Morgan Simpson of Black Midi shredding drums, Phil Achille ably anchoring everything on the low end. It was in a tent and as the rain picked up outside, it intermingled with the playing of the musicians and made for a special time.

And then for the encore Phil Achille played insane bebop harmonica. Like some of the most insane harmonica lines I've ever heard in my life. It was amazing. I dont think I'm the same person who went into that tent. 

I noticed Strut has released this for RSD with some extra tracks on a bonus disk. It's been reissued before but has become much harder to get your hands on recently. Amazing space-ace jazz with traditional Egyptian sounds from a Sun Ra affiliate. Bonkers music.

Getz / Gilberto came on in the car yesterday from the USB stick I have loaded with a bunch of stuff. It's perfect summer evening driving music.

Girl From Ipanema is great and all, but for my money O Grand Amor is the best track on the record. That tenor sax is seductively smooth.

• 1 month later...

Emma-Jean Thackray's debut album, Yellow, is out. I like it a lot, despite the shitty compressed mastering on the streaming and the vinyl version. Have tickets to see her live next year, where hopefully the sound will be a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been revisiting Saint-Germain-Des-Pres-Cafe compilations of late, all of which feature some cracking tunes. Here's all you need from Vol.3

Love pretty much everything I've heard from Nicola Conte, this is sublime.

Love Dee Dee Bridgewater, she's an incredible performer. I think UFO are due a critical reevaluation too, Toshio Matsuura made some great stuff in the 90s.

How about these for some heavyweight guests? Charles Tolliver, Yusef Lateef and Mulatu Astake on the same record. Absolutely beautiful music. This feels like an essential purchase.