IGNORED

The Jazz Thread

Ben

Just now, Ste_S said:

I've been listening to that on streaming and I'll definitely be buying that. Meanwhile the Makaya McCraven Universal Beings arrived yesterday, and it's brilliant.

Ahh, great stuff. Glad you liked it! I’ve listened to a few bits from the latest International Anthems by Rob Mazurek and Aquiles Navarro and they sound up to the usual standard. Not a full album, but the Alabaster DePlume Visit Croatia EP is stunning too. What a label.

I've been getting into Jaimie Branch a fair bit now also, she seems interesting and an amazing talent.

Noticed that International Anthem put out a fair bit of excellent video content also

Jamie Branch-

Makaya McCraven

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's his best album with the Mizells I reckon. All killer apart from the final track which is a right dud! Street Lady is worth checking out If you haven't already. There's some glorious music on that.

Here's an interesting thing Jeff Mills, Yumiko Ohno, Kenji Hino and Gerald Mitchell got up to. 

19 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Another great LP from Donald Byrd. I already knew Stepping into Tomorrow, Caricatures and Black Byrd. I checked this one out off the back of Jordan Rakei’s excellent cover of Wind Parade from the recent Blue Note Reimagined compilation. 

It’s a great album. I love Donald Byrd. 

This is nice, chilled out jazz:

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news indeed. He was one of the most technically gifted pianists in jazz (which is saying a lot).

I really like Romantic Warrior but my absolute favourite is still Now He Sings, Now He Sobs. I listened to it obsessively throughout my student years in awe of the complexity of Corea's playing. I still find time to sit down and listen to it every now and then, and it stills blows me away.