The Jazz Thread

Probably a bit late here as it came out a few years back, that Rhino Mono release of Coltrane's Ole on vinyl is great. Going to have to re-buy Giant Steps for the Rhino mono version (I have the crap stereo mix) along with Bags and Trane

Greg Foat is so prolifically brilliant it blows my mind. Think this is a couple of months old now, but highly recommended if you haven't heard it yet. Some beautiful pieces and a real range of styles on display. Seems to cover off some nice Brazilian influenced bits, that UK dance floor improvised sound, experimental interludes, spiritual jazz, you name it. A proper journey of an album.

• 2 weeks later...

Remind me never to look at Wikipedia for the history of jazz musicians from the 50s/60s.

Listening to a lot of Hank Mobley, and discovered he died from Pneumonia after going through periods of homelessness. So many gave such amazing music but lived such tragic lives. 
Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter should be given medals just for surviving so long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2020 at 03:20, Art Vandelay said:

Sun Ra Arkestra – led by Marshall Allen – have beamed an album from Saturn for the first time in 20 years, and it's glorious. Everything I hoped it would be.

The new Rocket No. 9 interpretation is wonderful.

Would also recommend this compilation curated by Marshall Allen if you're looking to get in to Sun Ra.

Yeah that's a brilliantly put together album. Worth owning just for the extended version of Island in the Sun that's on there. There's a cool Gilles Peterson compilation too that has a great flow through some more unexpected choices. 

I bought this recently which is a proper trip. Art Yard deserve a medal for their work bringing these reissues out.

I'm going to give that one a listen now. 

Have you heard this curio that got an official release earlier in the year?

This Sun Ra 1980 solo set has been kicking around the internet and in the digital libraries of Ra collectors for years. It has not previously been commercially released, nor has there been any (known) diligent attempt to upgrade the fidelity. We've taken action on both counts. 

This is a very unique performance. Sun Ra is notorious for his aggressive keyboard attack and seemingly schizophrenic stylings—which can musically go from A to Z and back to A without transitional bridges. This set offers a marked contrast. Ra's instrument of choice here is the celeste-like Fender Rhodes electric piano, which has a distinct sound (instantly recognizable in the Doors' "Riders on the Storm") and an interesting history. There are few pyrotechnics in this performance, and much restraint. Ra sounds relaxed and contemplative. It's Soothing Sounds for Saturnians. 

Wow, no I'd not! I'm obsessed with the Rhodes and Sun Ra so this could not be more up my street. Fantastic.

There's got to be very few artists with a more rewarding back catalogue than that of the Ra. They seemed to punt out a handful of copies of live recordings after shows for years so it seems like there's a never ending supply of material to listen to. I'd seen The Arkestra but missed another chance a couple of years ago when they descended on a pub on the Pentonville Road for some reason. Still kicking myself about that.

1 hour ago, Sane said:

A tip for all the jazz lovers here: amazon germany currently have a 3 for 2 deal going which includes some nice jazz albums. I bought a bunch of Tone Poet and BN80 releases. I think it ends tomorrow.

What did you get? I'm quite tempted. Kamasi Washington's Heaven & Earth is only €30 for starters, and that's before the 3 for 2.

A bit late to the the Damon Locks Black Monument album, however it's fantastic and the vinyl package is great. International Anthem seem like a really interesting label that take care with their releases, any recommendations? I've got my eye on Makaya McCraven's Universal Beings next.

7 hours ago, Ste_S said:

What did you get? I'm quite tempted. Kamasi Washington's Heaven & Earth is only €30 for starters, and that's before the 3 for 2.

Well I went a bit crazy but I figured it's a nice deal and these kind of releases never get cheaper, only more expensive. I got:

Lee Morgan - Cornbread (tone poet) 

Lee Morgan - the Cooker (tone poet) 

Joe Henderson - The State of the Tenor vol. 2 (tone poet) 

Andrew Hill - Black Fire (tone poet)

Donald Byrd - Chant (tone poet)

Grant Green - Born to be Blue (tone poet)

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (tone poet)

Jackie Mclean - It's Time (tone poet)

Kenny Burrell - Introducing (tone poet)

Freddy Hubbard - Open Sesame (BN80) 

Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata (BN80) 

Kenny Dorham - Una Mas (BN80) 

I'm not really a big jazz buff but I've been getting more and more into it since 2 or 3 years. Most of my collection consists of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock and Charles Mingus. I've been wanting to expand it so this seemed like a good moment. 

I've received 5 so far and I have to say the tone poet releases are clearly a labor of love. They sound amazing, but the covers are great too. Very nice, thick material and they made all of them gatefold and included beautiful photos on the inside. 

20201122_201503.jpg

20201122_201520.jpg

On 22/11/2020 at 10:16, Art Vandelay said:

The last Jeff Parker album Suite for Max Brown for definite. Will be regarded as a classic in the future I’ve no doubt of that.

I've been listening to that on streaming and I'll definitely be buying that. Meanwhile the Makaya McCraven Universal Beings arrived yesterday, and it's brilliant.