The Jazz Thread

On 20/03/2018 at 18:05, luth714 said:

I don’t know much about jazz, but the new Sons Of Kemet album is great. Super frenetic, blows cobwebs off you and the tracks with poet/ vocals too and tailing the album are great. Fab cover too. Out on the 30th...

Yeah this is totally brilliant. I like some jazz, not sure this is exactly jazz, but it's fantastic.

Been listening to Letter From Home by Pat Metheny Group and there's a little guitar lick in Spring Ain't Here that is very familiar. I checked WhoSampled but it's not listed. Does anybody recognise it? The video below should start at the right section (2:51)

2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Been listening to Letter From Home by Pat Metheny Group and there's a little guitar lick in Spring Ain't Here that is very familiar. I checked WhoSampled but it's not listed. Does anybody recognise it? The video below should start at the right section (2:51)

I don’t know that one abb, but if you dig Pat Metheny you should also check out the wonderful album Offramp if you haven’t already...a quick search sees it getting a rllmuk mention in the practically embryonic We Want Your Soul thread some fourteen years ago! :blah:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I try to avoid buying complications as I always have the belief that one day I’ll track down the original albums. Then I looked at the prices of the LPs on the two volumes of J-Jazz and realised that you can’t get any of them for less than four figures. I honestly have no idea where people find this stuff – and it’s not just the rarity for the sake of it, they’re such amazing tracks. Essential purchases!

• Upvote 1

Slightly obsessed with Dizzy Gillespie's Afro album at the moment. From 1954, with Dizzy backed by a Cuban big band.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0trcpUrMlHBGmOHvIvVGYF?si=u7TIpYMOQECxGBSIlZ4qxQ

Here's Dizzy playing Manteca from the album live (with another band) some years later.

https://youtu.be/A5tRGMHfKrE

Vinyl is £50+ on discogs, which I'll probably end up paying for at some point. In the meantime I've contented myself with the CD, which came in a triple pack with another two albums, from HMV for the princely sum of £3.

• Upvote 1

That’s such a great album. I recently bought Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods from 1976 which is full of jazz-dance monsters and might be of interest if you haven’t heard it before. Think it was maybe £15 so a bit more pocket friendly.

I had a 10 LP jazz compilation box set when I was about 14, that I bought for a few quid in a second hand record shop. It had a live Dizzy Gillespie session on one of the disks that featured a version of Kush that absolutely blew my teenage mind. There were no line-up listings and the disks had generic covers, so I had no idea who the band were except that it had Lalo Schifrin on piano, and I remember listening to it over and over again. I have no idea what happened to the box of records, and I haven't heard the track for *cough* 30 years!

But thanks to the wonders of the internet I've only bloody gone and found it again!

Thank you internets!

On 28/07/2020 at 21:01, acidbearboy said:

Discovery of the day, courtesy of a Stevie Wonder concert!

Chick Corea - Spain

You need to get this daaahn ya. I absolutely love My Spanish Heart, the album. In particular Night Streets and the incomparable Spanish Fantasy, Parts I-IV.

Fusion. But good.

I've fallen hard into a Christian Vander shaped hole again. I think I have a high tolerance for vocalese, so the celestial ramblings in his Kobaïan language may not be for all but they really take you to very emotional places. Occasionally challenging, I think he makes some of the most powerful avant-garde jazz I have ever heard. Like a French Pharaoh Sanders and Leon Thomas mixed with classical and spirituals. This is from Offering pt. 1/2 and it's essential in my opinion.

On 18/07/2020 at 10:23, acidbearboy said:

I found out yesterday that the classic Brazilian jazz-fusion album by Cesar Mariano & Cia has been recently (2018) reissued by Mr.Bongo. I had the first two tracks from compilations, but I've ordered the full album on CD for £10 delivered from their Bandcamp page. Looking forward to listening to it in full.

No download or streaming options on Bandcamp, so here's a youtube upload of the LP, with a couple of skips unfortunately. 

Just a heads up that this is now on Spotify.