The Jazz Thread

I really enjoyed the new Joe Armon-Jones album. Absolutely not a criticism of other people on the come up in UK Jazz, but you feel sometimes you get players who have graduated from making bedroom house and beats so have interesting, but quite limited technical ability. Things like Yussef Kamaal for instance are absolutely brilliant in a live context and I've had some great times watching them, but they tend to rely on simple phrasing which gets the crowd moving. Joe Armon-Jones seems like he's on a different plane of existence to a lot of other keys players. The cover art is a clear nod to some of that Herbie mastery he was pumping out in the 70s and you can hear the influence all over this album.

Highly recommended!

• Upvote 2

That's really cool. Enjoyed that.

Hadn't listened to this in a long while until today. I picked it up as a bit of a punt in New York a few years ago on the strength of the other players. I don't think John Handy's 60s work got that much love, but this is real quality – Bobby Hutcherson really goes in and a young Pat Martino features too. 'Tears of Ole Miss' is properly good and Handy goes right out there on occasions. 

• Upvote 2

There appears to be a fair few Blue Note vinyl re-releases recently and picked this up today. Partly for the amazing cover, but mostly because I didn't really know Herbie outside of Headhunters and Rockit. Needless to say this is great

51724RW7N9L.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Spotify links are not embedding correctly, or a recent update has broken existing links to Spotify albums. I tried logging in to Spotify, didn't make any difference. I also have tracking protection fully disabled, didn't help.

I don't see anything about it in the latest patch notes for the forum, so we may be stuck with this for a bit.

• Upvote 1

Well we'll have to stick to youtube.

I know the album has been mentioned here before, but I've been listening to it a lot recently and can't get enough of this one.

It's very reminiscent of Alice Coltrane's music obviously, but is also a brilliant modal jazz piece its own right.

• Upvote 3
19 hours ago, David Kenny said:

Well we'll have to stick to youtube.

I know the album has been mentioned here before, but I've been listening to it a lot recently and can't get enough of this one.

It's very reminiscent of Alice Coltrane's music obviously, but is also a brilliant modal jazz piece its own right.

Beautiful.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just about to post about it. 

I don't meant to sound heartless, but it didn't come as a surprise for me, really. I was fortunate enough to get to listen to him live--which, as I recall was at the Barbican in 2005, along with the World Saxophone Quartet. I had heard that he had been having health problems, and when he came on the stage, the audience became silent as they saw the then-67-year-old slowly make his way to the piano.

Once he started playing, though... It's very difficult to put it into words. It was the same sound and power I heard in all of his albums, but even deeper and more intense.

I'm not the biggest of fans, to be honest. I still think his best work was with the John Coltrane Quartet, but albums such as Horizon, Trident, Extensions, Fly With The Wind, and Passion Dance are such amazing experiences. 

RIP. I'll be revisiting his music all this week.

• Upvote 1

Oh that’s amazing. Sounds like a great experience.

I love his 70s work, but he was still producing some really interesting stuff well into the eighties. Extensions is absolutely essential in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Just stumbled onto this. Love how it shifts from nasty to cool to hard within the space of about 4 minutes. Luiz Eca trio, One Note Samba (live 1990).

Lovely smooth and clean interpretation in the related videos too. I get serious Pilotwings and Super Mario Kart vibes from the chord progressions and harmonies. Zimbo Trio - One Note Samba: