rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Thread Owner

Mirror's Edge

Oh ffs man. No. no..no.

The strange thing is, I can see the appeal, but I don't think it really does anything with the whole base concept.

I found it absurd, the whole thing.

And the splash effect when you throw cars into the water is RUBBISH.

I dunno, it's just jump and shoot and jump and shoot. All in a garish candy-cane world.

That Infamous looks a lot more interesting.

Infamous wasn't out last year, jesus. Crackdown was pretty damn amazing when it hit. Simple, pure fun. And yes, it was jumpy jumpy shoot shoot (together with a mate), and that's exactly why it's so dear to many people. If you can't see why the sort of purity Crackdown had to offer appeals to people, then I really think you'll dislike Mirror's Edge no matter what. As for me, I can't wait to jump around and be like holyshitadrenalinewhoaaaa. Stay positive. :)

The strange thing is, I can see the appeal, but I don't think it really does anything with the whole base concept.

I found it absurd, the whole thing.

And the splash effect when you throw cars into the water is RUBBISH.

It didn't need too. It just did what it did and did that very well. You don't have to ask for a great deal from an action game, in the same way you don't have to from a film.

It spliced a nice action game with decent explosions, physics and plenty of vertigo inducing moments. And there was a fair bit of DLC as well.

Maybe the water effects with the cars was poor but thats such a small detail when you've already been given a feast for the senses.

Fair enough, if the explosions were badly drawn and looked out of place i'd have had a more critical view but they suited the game really well.

Despite the cel shaded graphics you still felt part of an environment. I think ME will do the same as i said earlier - DICE are very good with their environments.

They know (more then most) how to give you a feeling of scale.

It didn't need too. It just did what it did and did that very well. You don't have to ask for a great deal from an action game, in the same way you don't have to from a film.

Meh.

I like meh. (Crackdown wasn't meh, but anyone who was watching me on live saw me playing Blazing Angels 2 tonight, which despite the lack of a full screen 1st person view is still quite enjoyable - esp. at £9).

ZZzzzzz.

Oh, fuck, sorry for expressing an opinion.

Presumably if I gushed about Crackdown you wouldn't be so sleepy.

Anyway, i'm done with talking about Crackdown here.

Oh, fuck, sorry for expressing an opinion.

Presumably if I gushed about Crackdown you wouldn't be so sleepy.

Anyway, i'm done with talking about Crackdown here.

Nah, I'm not the biggest Crackdown fan ever either, but I can definetely see the appeal. 'Meh' just seems dismissive and discussion-halting, but it's all good. I had a bit of fun with it, and I think Mirror's Edge follows in the same vein - Stripped down, pretty basic yet extremely compelling. For once I'm trying to be positive. :)

I once didn't like Crackdown, even after playing the demo. But I eventually got my hands on the full game and really enjoyed it. I liked trying to find ways up tall buildings and trying to find the non-obvious routes into the hideouts. Though I still wasn't all that keen on trying to collect all the orbs like many seem to have been.

Well, there's a new video, to so-called alternate paths vid.

Despite the name, I imagine that those hoping for non-linear levels will be disappointed; those that just want a pretty, physical first-person scrambler, however, should be kept entertained.

Well, there's a new video, to so-called alternate paths vid.

Despite the name, I imagine that those hoping for non-linear levels will be disappointed; those that just want a pretty, physical first-person scrambler, however, should be kept entertained.

Looks ace

It shows a less 'perfect' attempt at the demo level, and it still looks great. I'm not sure 'strafing' looks convincing (with the arms still pointing forwards), but how could it?

That PAX video makes it look way cooler than before (multiple fast routes and time trials ftw?), but I still can't get out of my mind that this is the only level we've seen in detail. If there's to be a demo of this, it'll probably be that level too.

I hope they haven't put all their good ideas into that one area.

That's actually a fair worry. I sincerely hope the game doesn't do a Far Cry on us.

That's actually a fair worry. I sincerely hope the game doesn't do a Far Cry on us.

What, be awesome except for three levels and a driving section?

I'll preorder it right now if it's going to be that good.

What would be great is a Halo 3 style video editing feature.

You finish your level then you can go back through it with a free 3d camera, finding dramatic angles that show off the parkour to it's best, edit your clips and bung 'em on the web skate. style.

Yes it would.

What, be awesome except for three levels and a driving section?

I'll preorder it right now if it's going to be that good.

I think you must have confused Far Cry with another, better game that didn't turn from an enjoyable romp through the forest, a ship and a mountain before turning into the world's most tedious trudge through a cave network then some sort of animal pen then I stopped playing it and have no idea how things progressed because my god it was dull.

I think you must have confused Far Cry with another, better game that didn't turn from an enjoyable romp through the forest, a ship and a mountain before turning into the world's most tedious trudge through a cave network then some sort of animal pen then I stopped playing it and have no idea how things progressed because my god it was dull.

So you got to level five? :)

Not that I got any further the first time I played it. The second time, I played on 'Realistic' (ie unrealistic and impossible) and the game changed from a chore to an extra-special slice of ruthless guerrilla tactics and hunter-prey mind games. Awesome game, just not for CoD/HL softies. :)

Having said that, Mirror's Edge will likely have nowt in common with it. I doubt it even has AI, judging by how the guards move right now.

Meh.

Same principle as RE4 - what is does is strictly nothing new, but it polished the genre to an admirable degree and made itself one of last generation's best games. Like Crackdown,

If this is true then I will take back everything I said about DICE being a bunch of shoddy hacks with no understanding of scalable engine development. Nearly all games released in the last year were easily capable of being run on an A64 with a 6600, but no devco seemed to give a damn. I hope this is the shape of things to come.

So you got to level five? :)

Not that I got any further the first time I played it. The second time, I played on 'Realistic' (ie unrealistic and impossible) and the game changed from a chore to an extra-special slice of ruthless guerrilla tactics and hunter-prey mind games. Awesome game, just not for CoD/HL softies. :)

I've never played the CoD games (eurgh, WWII. I may try 4 when I can afford it), and find the HL series to be massively tedious; more of a Halo man myself (assuming we're talking FPS's, and discounting the truly great first person games - Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock 2), on Heroic and Legendary, of course - the thing was, that was fun because the enemies behaved in a believable ('human', despite their species) manner, and presented a constantly entertaining challenge. The human opponents in Far Cry lack this, but while endowed with superhuman perception and accuracy at range on realistic (though not quite as bad as Sniper Elite in that respect), they were saved by the beautiful, wide-open environments and the fact you got to choose your own approach to most situations. As soon as the game closed down on itself it became a wasted effort; the beautiful vistas transformed into ugly, brown mush, your choices whittled down to none, and the game just lost its appeal to me. Maybe it is because I'm soft, I dunno.

Oh, and those specs do look quite nice. Still too much for my machine to handle, but that's what the 360's for.

The PAX video is yet another playthrough of that level, difference is, it really flows this time and it looks so fine. Red lines will be off when I get to play it for real. This is one of those game ideas that I've wanted to see for years, except in a more freeform context, but this is more than good enough for now.

One thing about the game that does worry me though is that when you jump off an edge of a rooftop or suchlike do you have to press the jump button at exactly the right moment in order to get the best jump & the most distance?

I would like there be a little bit of a margin around it like the Prince of Persia games so you don't get punished for being even a tiny bit off, but judgling from the way that that guy missed the pipes in the demo i'm guessing that this game demands you to learn its rules.

I think it's not so much timing as it is building up enough speed before jumping, which they have said before is important.

One thing about the game that does worry me though is that when you jump off an edge of a rooftop or suchlike do you have to press the jump button at exactly the right moment in order to get the best jump & the most distance?

I would like there be a little bit of a margin around it like the Prince of Persia games so you don't get punished for being even a tiny bit off, but judgling from the way that that guy missed the pipes in the demo i'm guessing that this game demands you to learn its rules.

He missed that jump because a) he used reaction time and b ) he was too far to the right.

Same principle as RE4 - what is does is strictly nothing new, but it polished the genre to an admirable degree and made itself one of last generation's best games. Like Crackdown,

I would say the near constant action of RE4 was pretty new to the series, and there's the huge changes of the shoulder perspective (and all that brings), melee moves, QTEs, and so on.

Anyway, I don't care wether Crackdown offerered anything new, that's not important to me - it's mix of jumping around and blowing up loads of people with bazookas in candy-cane world just didn't appeal to me

So I don't think it's the same principle at all.

Oh good - I stopped playing after about 10 minutes of not being able to see the sky. I clearly didn't miss anything.

PS3 will have exclusive content, it's been confirmed.

http://kotaku.com/5044129/mirrors-edge-on-...s-exclusive-dlc

Mirror's Edge is coming out on PlayStation 3. Then again, it's coming out on Xbox 360, too. And the PC. How are we gonna tell the versions apart? Or if you've got all three platforms, which one will you get? This might help. Sony have confirmed that they've signed a deal with EA, which will see the PS3 receive exclusive DLC