Sign in to follow this  
moosegrinder

The Club

So, I'm sure we're all aware of Bizarre Creation's latest game being the shooty arcade combo 'em up that is the club, but seeing as I only just got a PS3 and the 360 doesn't seem to have this demo I can't find a thread in the first 25 pages of this forum. So here it is.

Personally, I though the demo was great fun. More in common wi 2D up screen shooters than summat like Black or COD4, in terms of game mechanic anyway. I wunt mind a demo on 360 seeing as the PS3 pad is absolute fucking shite.

Screenies

the-club-20071024034031867.jpg

the-club-20071207111656235.jpg

I couldn't find any more that do it justice. Also, appleloogies if there is a thread somewhere.

I admit I haven't played it yet, but I'll get around to it somewtime this week.

Reminds me of that Sega arcadey-style FPS though. Which is a good thing.

Outtrigger? I loved that game. I get a similar vibe from the stuff I've seen, here's hoping for a 360 demo soon.

Yeah it reminded me of Outtrigger too. Can't say I enjoyed The Club though. It felt like a game that should be a lot faster and slicker, with Smash TV like mania going on in the background. It just didn't seem to have the sort of pace I was expecting, and the controls seemed really sluggish on top of it.

Shame as the concept is great, I think I just had a very different game in mind when I fired it up.

I`ve played it for a bit, had a few shots and while the mechanic seems fun it feels like it could be a bit limited, basically there seems to be a fixed route through the demo level, you just have to learn to be quick enough.

Now the final game might have bigger levels with multiple routes so it might have something more to offer but to me at least it felt like just another gun game.

Hmm....Yeah see, i'm not sure of this pairing of FPS and arcade game.

They're both geared towards offering differing things. I'm not 100% on this but the combo scoring technique is a little simple isn't it?

I mean i know we've got HL2 the arcade game and that, but i've not seen that either. For me at least, FPS's are about spectacle and scale rather then scoring for points.

That's why I like this though. It's the game Black should have been, but more arcadey. I see what Del's saying about the linearity but I think a straight up high scoring shooter is a nice change. And yeah, it reminds me of Outrigger now you mention it.

I`ve played it for a bit, had a few shots and while the mechanic seems fun it feels like it could be a bit limited, basically there seems to be a fixed route through the demo level, you just have to learn to be quick enough.

Now the final game might have bigger levels with multiple routes so it might have something more to offer but to me at least it felt like just another gun game.

I thought that the relatively fixed route was the point of the game? From what I can remember reading, Bizarre wanted to bring timetrial mechanics to a FPS - basically perfecting runs and shaving seconds off. I like the sound of it, there's a 360 demo imminent apparently.

Edit: Link

I tried the PS3 demo yesterday and loved the concept and presentation. Things fell apart as soon as I started playing though, I just didn't find any of it fun. I'll give it another go today, see how I get on, but this one seems like it's not for me. I get the concept, it's just that in practice I'm either playing it like a regular 3rd person shooter, which it's not a great example of, or I'm running for the exit, which is boring. The controls on the PS3 are shockingly shit.

I thought that the relatively fixed route was the point of the game? From what I can remember reading, Bizarre wanted to bring timetrial mechanics to a FPS - basically perfecting runs and shaving seconds off. I like the sound of it, there's a 360 demo imminent apparently.

Edit: Link

Then I`m slightly less convinced about how its going to hang together. If it is purely A to B with placed opponents makes me think there is probably an optimal way of doing it, once you`ve cracked it then your done. I think the premise is good and I suspect the PS3 pad may well be playing into my reckoning as its appaling for any kind of quick precision aiming.

I do like the look, its a very stylised product and thats no bad thing at all with some slick presentation. Added to that we`ve only seen two game modes (I think there are two in the demo) so its unfair to pass complete judgement on it.

I`ll keep my eye on it for sure, its from Bizarre and the past pedigree is good. I think maybe I just need a break from guns...

I thought the demo was superb. Lots of potential.

I get the impression folk were disappointed with it as it's not CoD4 or somesuch.

Also, you really do need those extra trigger things on the PS3 pad that came with that shite magazine. R2 for fire, pffft.

The PS3 demo is way too easy - go for the harder difficulties and it gives you more people to kill rather than forcing you to chase higher combos and got headshots and such. They don't seem to be any better at killing you, so your score naturally goes up along with the 'difficulty'. I used the lower settings to get to grips with the controls and then when I tried the hardest setting I did it first time, getting far more than the required target.

There doesn't seem to be any sense of danger - maybe the still-locked highest setting will prove harder, but I was able to run straight into rooms full of enemies and pick them off while soaking up the bullets, taking my time to get headshots. So despite the cozy feeling imparted by the roadie run, it doesn't capture Gears' feeling of being pinned down by deadly fire; I just felt practically invincible.

It's going to be a 360 purchase if I get it. because it just feels awkward on the Sixaxis - I'd much rather use the top triggers for aiming and shooting, and I'd like to remap a few of the other buttons. There seems to be a trend in demos at the moment for not having configurable controls, but hopefully that'll be fixed in the full game, and at least the demo lets you invert the Y axis.

And finally on the moan list, the weapons feel weedy and uninspiring. I never bother changing them even on the hardest setting (where you might reasonably expect to have to vary your arsenal and playing style to succeed) and the sound effects are feeble.

But. Despite all the above, it does feel as though it could be a great game. I really like the RE4 Mercenaries approach and the focus on high-scoring, and doing laps of the levels in the timed mode is inspired. I'd like to try a 360 demo to see if that feels more satisfying, but I think I'm likely to give the game a chance. There's plenty of locked stuff in the menus, which makes it look like a pretty broad offering that'll be fun to dip into, unencumbered by over-plotting and storytelling cutscenes. So this looks like a crossed-fingers job for me, but sometimes they can turn out better than seemingly surefire winners.

So the idea to to get through the level as fast as possible while getting as many points as possible?

Probably not really for me. I like to take my time in an FPS and maybe have a good look around the level. But I can see its appeal to others.

My problem with it is that I don't like third person shooters very much. For me the 3rd person view works much better in games like Tomb Raider which are more exploration than shooting. If we're going to be shooting stuff I'd like to be in first person thank you very much.

So the idea to to get through the level as fast as possible while getting as many points as possible?

I think it's mixed modes - I don't recall any time bonus in the score-based mode, so you can take your time and work out the best strategy there. The timed mode makes you do three laps of the level with a time limit, but obviously score is also a factor there. There are several greyed-out modes in the demo, so it seems fairly comprehensive mode-wise. It looks to me like its USP is its pure action approach - no story to worry about, just high score straight-up action. So hopefully it's going to have a high replayability factor rather than being a narrative-driven one-time experience, but of course whether that sounds good depends on your preference...

Played the demo of this and thought it was shit. Generic "gritty" videogamey wank.

Oh come on - there's nothing 'generic' about it. It's the campest shooter ever. Every character is like a parody of a parody of a parody, and the plot is the most hilarious nonsense since Commando.

Oh come on - there's nothing 'generic' about it. It's the campest shooter ever. Every character is like a parody of a parody of a parody, and the plot is the most hilarious nonsense since Commando.

The whole "it's funny and good because it's shit - but maybe on purpose!" thing got boring years ago. I'm sick of that being used as an excuse for something being shit.

Worse still, there's nothing in this that suggests parody - it's genuinely trying to be cool, and failing miserably.

SEGA Europe has today announced that a playable demo of The Club will be released on Xbox LIVE Marketplace at 9am on Tuesday, January 8. The demo will be available across Europe and Australia.

Once downloaded Xbox 360 gamers will be able to sample the game's Prison environment and take control of Renwick, a no-nonsense NYPD Detective whose investigations have brought him close to The Club. Renwick is exclusive to the Xbox 360 demo and was not featured in the recent PlayStation 3 demo.

Players will be able to play the Sprint and Time Attack single-player modes, plus partake in some split-screen multiplayer action.

The full game, scheduled for release on February 8, will feature eight combatants who must fight in the underground blood-sport, each with their own reasons for taking part in the deadly game.